• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Christian Vande Velde win the 2011 Tour de France?

Can Christian Vande Velde win the 2011 Tour de France

• No. Crash Vande Velde will be lucky if he gets to Paris.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I am absolutely serious!

Can Christian Vande Velde win the Tour de France in 2011?

Christian_Vande_Velde_Missouri_2008_Casey_Gibson.jpg

I’m not asking will he, necessarily, but is it possible? (and not in the way that Oscar Pereiro proved in 2006 that just about anything is possible).

Consider a few things:
His pedigree is the real deal. He didn’t just stumble into the sport, his dad, John, was not only a pro racer but is a hall of fame inductee. And let’s face it, DNA counts for a lot in pro cycling. (More importantly, John Vande Velde played one of the villainous Italian riders in Breaking Away. Lance is lucky he never found a pump in his spokes!)

Christian was a young standout in American cycling before riding for US Postal, and wore the White Jersey for Best Young Rider for five stages in his TdF debut back in 1999.

Fast forward: Plagued by injuries and a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows while on various teams, the world finally got to witness his true potential in 2008 as team leader of Garmin. With the solid emotional and physical support that he perhaps had never had before, his true talent was able to shine through. In his own words, “I have one of the bigger engines in the peloton, it’s my chassis that has been broken.” But finally, in 2008, many of the physical setbacks that he had endured for years were properly addressed and the talent that he was born with was able to shine through.

Now let’s be very clear about one thing: Christian Vande Velde very nearly won the Tour de France in 2008. If you don’t believe that, then you weren’t paying attention. And this is really the basis for my poll in the first place.
Let’s review:

By Stage 10 Christian was in 3rd place and only :38 sec behind the leader.
On Stage 16 he crashed on the descent and fell to 6th place 3:15 behind the leader.
On Stage 17 to Alpe d'huez he lost another minute to the leader, this time Sastre. But he was only about one minute off the other contenders on the stage.

Prior to the final TT, CVV speculated that he might be able take 2 to 3 minutes out of the others. "I'm gonna hurt those guys in the Time Trial," he said.

On the Stage 20 Time Trial he came in 4th behind only Schumaker :rolleyes:, Cancellara and Kirchen. He took 1:30 out of Sastre and 1:00 out of Evans and Menchov. He beat all the contenders soundly, ending up only 3:12 down from the Yellow Jersey and in 4th overall (sans Kohl). If not for that one crash on Stage 16, he very well may have been in a position to take the whole thing in the final TT!

Coming into 2009, it was a whole new CVV. Confident and secure (his wife even said he had a new swagger ;)), he rightly had the podium in his sights. He was prepared both mentally and physically. Then...disaster. He crashed early at the Giro and suffered multiple fractures.

But in a feat that was perhaps even more amazing than his 2008 performance, he fought back and not only rode the 2009 Tour, but finished 8th place! That effort and achievement, under those circumstances, should not be underestimated. It shows that we have yet to see Christian at his very best. Will 2011 finally be his year?

One of his biggest advantages in 2008 was that he wasn’t on anyone’s radar for a podium spot. None of the pre-Tour predictions included him. Once again, he has stealthy retrieved his cloaking device for 2011.

Now, to all the critics of my assessment—I know, I know, I know...
Of course Andy Schleck is going to win (he rides a Trek!). He’s got a brand new team with tons of money and a huge support network. It’s a given, the podium is his. Just ask Brad Wiggins...who, by the way, has learned from his own mistakes and will certainly dominate this tour the way he did last year, except that he didn’t.

But let us not forget, this will finally be Cadel’s year. He deserves it the most, after all. I just can’t remember which color jersey they give out for that.

Maybe Chris Horner will finally get his due? Much of what I’ve said about CVV could apply to Chris as well. Maybe the young and promising Jani Brojicvich will guide him to victory in the same way that young Alberto helped Levi in 2006?

Basso is certainly a contender, but don’t be surprised to see CVV sporting a bike pump once they hit the Pyrenees (I’m just sayin’). :D

Samuel Sanchez, he could win too (but he’s one of my favorite riders, so I’ll just leave it at that...because he could. And I can say what I want because I started this thread).

Of course the elephant in the room is Contador. All riders on Team Purgatory were deliberately left off in the interest of...well, I’m not really sure. It’s all just so complicated.

Now to coin a phrase: "Just relax." I’m not trolling here, just throwing in some levity. Of course any of the above mentioned riders could win the TdF. I like them all (except for Andrew). You could also add Vino if you like, and other worthy contenders. I would’ve mentioned Menchov too, but now he’s out (I still would’ve left out Sastre though, because that’s just not going to happen again).

But do you see my point? Anything is possible over a three week grand tour. So why not Christian Vande Velde? If the results of the race are a foregone conclusion six months ahead of time, then why even bother at all? The Giro was a much better race last year anyway. Maybe I’ll just watch that instead (it’s not like I’d be missing any other good race taking place at the same time).

Hey, I wonder if CVV could win the Giro?!?! You see back in 2008 Christian was the first rider to slip on the Maglia Rosa, and...

Oh btw, it’s pronounced Van-duh Veld—2 words, 3 syllables. (Paying attention, Phil?)

I tried to make this poll fun. Now cast those votes!.

One final thing:
Andy on Trek vs Christian on Cervelo = advantage Christian.

I'm not voting until there's a 'no, but he'll make a great domestique for Tom Danielson' option.

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but... no. He's not going to win. If Andy and Gesink crash out and CVV has the Tour of his LIFE, he might be able to cobble together a top 5. He's better in the TT than the climbs, and there's less TTs than 2008 and far better climbers (Andy, Gesink, Basso) for him to seriously consider an attempt for the podium. In all honesty, I think the stars aligned in 2008 and that's the best he can do. And he's getting on in age whereas Hesjedal's the perfect age.

I figure his luck has to change eventually in terms of his recent crashing out tendencies. It seems many of the top riders has a stretch where they're spending much intimate time with the pavement:

Menchov who crashed so much in the past few years that his inability to stay on his bike became somewhat of lingering joke in these forums.

Soler's inability to stay horizontal since his KOM success in the 2007 Tour has made him target of jokes and ridicule.

Evans had a string of crashes while with T-Mobile where I believe he broke his collarbone 2 or 3 times in one season.

Armstrong seemingly crashed more since his return than his entire 7 year run of Tour wins.

My point is inspite of CVV's crashes he's shown that at the least he is capable of finishing in the top 8 of the Tour and likely better depending on the Tour route. Given a route with many more miles/km's of TT's I think he could arguably finish on the podium. I would rate his climbing on par with Evans with his ITT a bit above him on a flat course and about even on anything going up. The battle will be for the 3rd spot on the podium and that is where CVV's potential maxes out. I don't see him ever beating Basso or Andy Schleck at the Tour. Winning the Tour is not a possibility but he can make it to the podium this year especially with Menchov not attending. His primary competition for that final podium spot will be Samu, Evans, Gesink and Joaquim Rodriguez.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
With Denis and Alberto out, I think he can make the podium. He'll have to do the race of his life, though. Top five is more realistic IMO, which is a great result btw.

Angliru said:
I figure his luck has to change eventually in terms of his recent crashing out tendencies. It seems many of the top riders has a stretch where they're spending much intimate time with the pavement:

Menchov who crashed so much in the past few years that his inability to stay on his bike became somewhat of lingering joke in these forums.

Soler's inability to stay horizontal since his KOM success in the 2007 Tour has made him target of jokes and ridicule.

Evans had a string of crashes while with T-Mobile where I believe he broke his collarbone 2 or 3 times in one season.

Armstrong seemingly crashed more since his return than his entire 7 year run of Tour wins.

My point is inspite of CVV's crashes he's shown that at the least he is capable of finishing in the top 8 of the Tour and likely better depending on the Tour route. Given a route with many more miles/km's of TT's I think he could arguably finish on the podium. I would rate his climbing on par with Evans with his ITT a bit above him on a flat course and about even on anything going up. The battle will be for the 3rd spot on the podium and that is where CVV's potential maxes out. I don't see him ever beating Basso or Andy Schleck at the Tour. Winning the Tour is not a possibility but he can make it to the podium this year especially with Menchov not attending. His primary competition for that final podium spot will be Samu, Evans, Gesink and Joaquim Rodriguez.
I'd associate "staying horizontal" with laying on the floor, TBH.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope he rides a good Tour this year to make up for all his bad luck over the past two, but even if he rides at his best I can't see him beating the likes of Andy Schleck and Ivan Basso.

taiwan said:
Another question: will Hesjedal be in the top 10 again, or will they do it with someone else this time?

i think that's very possible.last year,the canadian scared the shiit out of me,on that stage to arenberg he was a monster,astonishing performance.although i'm neither a hesjedal or vandevelde fan,i guess they could both make the top ten in le tour.

Granville57 said:

By Stage 10 Christian was in 3rd place and only :38 sec behind the leader.
On Stage 16 he crashed on the descent and fell to 6th place 3:15 behind the leader.
On Stage 17 to Alpe d'huez he lost another minute to the leader, this time Sastre. But he was only about one minute off the other contenders on the stage.

Just to be picky, on stage 16 he was dropped by the leaders on the climb and then fell on the descent trying to catch up. Therefore you cant just dismiss the time lost as unlucky although i think the gap at the top of the climb was only 30 seconds.

On stage 17 he finished at pretty much the same time as the other contenders at just over 2 minutes behind Sastre

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008//tour08/?id=results/tour0817

Cant see him winning it although he could make the top 5.

Granville57 said:
Yes, I am absolutely serious!...

You make a good case. He does have a chance to do really well, maybe even win... IF he stays healthy and out of trouble. But I said no because I think he has greater odds of crashing-out. That because he'll probably be forced to take some risks trying to keep up with some of the other contenders, and you know how that can be in the Tour, especially on some of those roads/descents and particularly if the weather does not cooperate. Nice question though :)

taiwan said:
Another question: will Hesjedal be in the top 10 again, or will they do it with someone else this time?

Garmin do it with someone else every time.

CVV 08
Wiggins 09
Hejsdal 10

And every time its someone surprising and on the previous 2 occasions, they didnt back it up the next year.

in 11 the logical answer is Lemevel, though if he rides it, perhaps Daniel Martin.

The Hitch said:
Garmin do it with someone else every time.

CVV 08
Wiggins 09
Hejsdal 10

And every time its someone surprising and on the previous 2 occasions, they didnt back it up the next year.

Cvv finished 8th in 2009 - not a bad performance considering he crashed in the giro apparently breaking vertebrae, ribs and his pelvis. How did he recover so quickly?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Excellent responses so far!

Some really great stuff here. This may turn out to be more fun than I had hoped!
skidmark said:
I'm not voting until there's a 'no, but he'll make a great domestique for Tom Danielson' option.

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but... no. He's not going to win. If Andy and Gesink crash out and CVV has the Tour of his LIFE, he might be able to cobble together a top 5. He's better in the TT than the climbs, and there's less TTs than 2008 and far better climbers (Andy, Gesink, Basso) for him to seriously consider an attempt for the podium. In all honesty, I think the stars aligned in 2008 and that's the best he can do. And he's getting on in age whereas Hesjedal's the perfect age.
I agree with the bolded. It's not an ideal course for CVV with the lack TTs. But as you allude to (not that I wish harm on anyone) there's no guarantee for others not to crash out. God, just think what happened to Igor Antón at last year's Vuelta. :( And if it weren't for Fabian playing traffic cop at the TdF last year, Andy's tour would've been over before it even started. So one just never knows.

taiwan said:
Garmin does have the strangest way of elevating a new, unexpected rider every year. Maybe JV himself will suit up for 2011 and put in a super-strong, super-clean ride and shock the world. :D

Angliru said:

I don't see him ever beating Basso or Andy Schleck at the Tour. Winning the Tour is not a possibility but he can make it to the podium this year especially with Menchov not attending.
And who knows what other circumstances could arise to keep other contenders out of the Tour? Luck is definitely part of the game (no disrespect to Carlos) and CVV will need a lot of it on his side. And rice cakes...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Just to be picky, on stage 16 he was dropped by the leaders on the climb and then fell on the descent trying to catch up. Therefore you cant just dismiss the time lost as unlucky although i think the gap at the top of the climb was only 30 seconds.

On stage 17 he finished at pretty much the same time as the other contenders at just over 2 minutes behind Sastre.
Being picky (and thorough) is good! And it's important for this type of discussion. You are absolutely correct with that breakdown ( I didn't want to make my OP any longer than it already was :eek:)

The most interesting thing about that, to me, is that Vaughter's has repeatedly claimed that Christian didn't ride hard enough on the previous rest day, against JV's advice. He seems to feel that it worked against CVV in the long run. I believe CVV himself said it was the altitude that caused him to lose time on the climb, and his crash on the descent was due to him taking risks to catch up. We'll never know if he could've made up the time on the descent or not. But imagine losing the TdF because you didn't ride hard enough on the rest day! :eek:

In the Documentary Blood, Sweat + Gears JV is talking with Bonnie D. Ford and playful says, "In a cooler moment, a month from now, when you're interviewing Christian...Remind him that I told him to ride on that rest day." :)

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
And let’s face it, DNA counts for a lot in pro cycling. .

It really does not. Too many people think genetics plays a more prominent role than it does in the success of cyclists. It is often a view taken by the lazy and/or those unfamiliar with training routine and lifestyle of a top-level rider.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
and in response to the question: I think he has a chance, why not? Would I bet on him? Even a cookie? No. Would it take a lot of mayhem, controversy, and miracle for him to take the Tour? Yes.