• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can I mention discs at all?

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I know the disc thread is currently locked, but Boonen just won the first Pro race on a disc equipped bike, says they are the best advance in bike tech he has seen. I think this year will see a real change in the adoption of this texhnology into the pro ranks. Will be interesting to see how teams and neutral service deal with all the permutations of wheels changes and rotor compatibility.

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I just read that before coming back here. Sounds like he's in no hurry at all. Wonder if the folks at Pinny have any on the drawing board or prototypes ready to go, or just haven't even bothered at this stage. If Froomy gets dropped on a decent in the rain, you can imagine Fausto will have something for him soon enough.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Fausto Pinarello: "We don't think a high-performance bike needs disc brakes"

pinarello_f8_disk-edit_20160519.jpg

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Clearly not a "high performance" bike then... :)

I never even checked their website, but they have a few disc equipped models, seems an odd statement then.

Tim B said:
I know the disc thread is currently locked, but Boonen just won the first Pro race on a disc equipped bike, says they are the best advance in bike tech he has seen. I think this year will see a real change in the adoption of this technology into the pro ranks. Will be interesting to see how teams and neutral service deal with all the permutations of wheels changes and rotor compatibility.

Yes, they are comin' to the professional peloton. It won't be caliper one race and all disc the next. No real axle/rotor size 'standards' yet. Wheel support will be team centric until this is settled and until most(all) of the peloton is somehow standardized. In the shop I still see a mix of axle sizes on a variety of road disc/gravel/cross bikes..12mm, 15mm, still some QR/disc. 140mm, 160mm..even some 180mm rotor sizes. Post mount, direct mount but the UCI will dictate this stuff.

But more this year than last, more next year then this. Kinda like lever mounted shifting and clipless pedal type gig.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
I think the UCI have said neutral support will be provided for 140mm discs and 12mm axles but would have to check. Having ridden discs I think that's probably the best combination.

Edit: It's 160mm and 12mm axles.

That should change to 140. So far all I've seen from the pros are 140mm rotors front and rear. 160 makes way to much power for a rear rear wheel, even for CX.

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

MWC said:
King Boonen said:
I think the UCI have said neutral support will be provided for 140mm discs and 12mm axles but would have to check. Having ridden discs I think that's probably the best combination.

That should change to 140. So far all I've seen from the pros are 140mm rotors front and rear. 160 makes way to much power for a rear rear wheel, even for CX.
I run 160mm front and rear on my gravel bike and don't think it too much, but I digress...

Think I read somewhere last week Sagan was just wanting to use 140's on his bike which I thought odd given that neutral spares would be carrying 160mm equipped wheels.
Biggest issue I see is the rotor/ caliper alignment between different hub manufacturers and how to adjust it on the fly. I don't know if their is any sort of standard for hub/rotor spacings, but my two wheelsets, the second one wouldn't even spin because the rotor was jammed against the pads. Had to shim it out and they fit perfectly now and can be changed in a few seconds, but not something you could do in a race. I could imagine a self adjusting caliper being able to account for rotors of different thicknesses, but not one that is off centered within the caliper. Hopefully there are engineers smarter than I that have this all under control.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's 160mm front and rear if you want to be able to take neutral support, whatever your preference if you're going to rely on your team car being able to reach you. I'm the same weight as Boonen (81kg) and never had a use for a 160mm rotor in the back. CX/gravel bike is 140/160, road is 140/140, and I'm in the high mountains. Being able to dial in how strong a brake you prefer with rotor size is one of the perks of discs, lost on people when you mandate a one-size-fits-all for the pros. It's counterintuitive. All these problems with rotor spacing, rotor size, and wheel changes will be all figured or engineered out, it just takes a little time.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tim B said:
MWC said:
King Boonen said:

I run 160mm front and rear on my gravel bike and don't think it too much, but I digress...

Think I read somewhere last week Sagan was just wanting to use 140's on his bike which I thought odd given that neutral spares would be carrying 160mm equipped wheels.
Biggest issue I see is the rotor/ caliper alignment between different hub manufacturers and how to adjust it on the fly. I don't know if their is any sort of standard for hub/rotor spacings, but my two wheelsets, the second one wouldn't even spin because the rotor was jammed against the pads. Had to shim it out and they fit perfectly now and can be changed in a few seconds, but not something you could do in a race. I could imagine a self adjusting caliper being able to account for rotors of different thicknesses, but not one that is off centered within the caliper. Hopefully there are engineers smarter than I that have this all under control.

The new Dura Ace hydraulic disc calipers have increased pad to rotor clearance which should alleviate some of the problems you mention.