• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Rodriguez win the Vuelta?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can he win?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Helluva ride today for Purito. Definitely in with a shot. I can see where some would think that Contador would put him in difficulty on the longer climbs later in the Vuelta but he's been stronger than Froome from my perspective (also doesn't have the tour in his legs) has showed good form over three weeks already this year (albeit against a lesser field, not that Basso or Scarponi are walkovers) and has time on Valverde (not convinced that he can keep this up for three weeks) and has two excellent helpers in the mountains. Not to mention the fact that he's likely to get time bonuses on stages he can stay with Contador and Froome (provided Valverde gets dropped). I think Contador will probably win but this is the best Purito we've yet seen and I think he'll get at least second and not too far behind Contador.

(admitted Purito fanboy)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Yes so far we've had mountain sprints really, multiple climbs are a different beast, look at what happened on the Toussuire stage, who could have predicted it.

Nothing, besides Evans who surprisingly decided all or nothing and buried his chances. There are no special multi- mountain stages in the Vuelta usually. At least, based on what we've seen so far there is more evidence to consider that Purito will continue to grab bonus seconds everywhere than to believe in Contador easily flitting away from the others. Purito's Giro perfomance is discreetly factored out, as expected.

Hm, sorry, I forgot that one's shoe has 100 times as much talent as Hesjedal can even imagine.

Rodriguez has learnt from previous tours. His Giro ride confirmed that. Contador has been attacking but has not been able to break the elastic. Valverde and Rodriguez will always outsprint him if they finish together so I really think that the pressure is on the weaker sprinters, Froome and Contador because they know if they can't drop the other two they will also lose the bonuses. Contador should improve and his TT was impressive but the four of them were all impressive in the TT. In one and a half tours this year, Rodriguez has not had a bad day. He has had great form all year. The four are evenly matched at the moment but I expect gaps to open in the final week. Would love to see Rodriguez win.

movingtarget said:
Rodriguez has not had a bad day. He has had great form all year. The four are evenly matched at the moment but I expect gaps to open in the final week. Would love to see Rodriguez win.
Actually he did have, sort of, a bad day in the Giro's stage 19. He lost 13 sec. to Hesjedal.

TRENDING THREADS