• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can TGBM win La Vuelta a Espana? - BE SERIOUS!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can TGBM win La Vuelta a Espana? - BE SERIOUS!

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mollema did well today, but I can't see him doing it. I'm really hoping for podium tho.

Curious as to the media reaction of mollema back in the Holland.
AFter the 11-0 domination I mean :p

I think realistically he must aim for the podium now.

We have seen Cobo today, and the Sky duo, winning is going to be hard if not impossible. But if he gets through Angliru decently, and hopefully Froome falters, then podium is possible.

His opposition is mainly weaker uphill, except Wiggins and Cobo. Froome had one bad day and he has to sacrifise himself, so he has to hope Froome falters. I can see Cobo passing Mollema.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
He can definitely still win. Above him, Wiggins looking great but who knows if 7 weeks without racing will eventually catch up to him. He certainly looked shattered after today. Froome, never ridden this well for a week before, let alone three. Either could implode.

Wiggins, Cobo, Froome, Fuglsang, Kessiakoff, Nibali, Monfort, Mollema. Is anyone confident of predicting how a single one of them will go up the Angliru?

Fuglsang - has lost time on every MTF on the top guys, is no factor
Kessiakoff - Looked great until today, 3 week bit much?
Monfort - Has lost time every MTF, is no factor
Nibali - Looked great until today, Giro 11 seems still to have an impact on the riders (Scarponi was bad, Menchov is not super, Kruijswijk is completely gone now, Rodriguez not looking good, Anton bad)

Remains, for me:
Wiggins - Looked superb so far, how will he fare on Angliru? Probably good as well...
Cobo - Most dangerous man for Wiggins I think. Attacked and could keep an advantage on Froome/Wiggins, which is a feat in itself. Probably strongest climber of the GC men.
Mollema - He can keep up with Wiggins and has a good sprint, but that won't help him if he can't gain time bonusses... Team seems weakened as well, Slagter and Kruijswijk are done.. Garate and Barredo not strong enough
Froome - Well he's Wiggins helper, and inconsistent, but he is still there... so I keep him in for now

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
His stated intention this morning was to finish on the podium, though I suspect that he didn't necessarily expect to already be in a podium position tonight, thanks to the 'failure' of those just above him today.

No, I still don't believe deep down that he could actually win, but certainly, his chances are significantly better than they were yesterday and yes, hot damn, of course I'd like to see him take a serious shot at it tomorrow. :p

Maybe it'll depend how much Rabo wants to consolidate a podium place rather than risk an unsuccessful attempt at the lead, which could lead to a collapse and a drop down the standings. I reckon that if Bauke smells a chance, he'll go for it for sure.

Interview in De Telegraaf pretty much confirms what I thought. Mollema was on a lesser day and didn't have the legs he had yesterday (appearently felt super there).

But when he heard Nibali was dropped he just fixated himself on Wiggins wheel and he was glad he held on.
Tomorrow a real test. I hope he has better legs again. Otherwise Angliru could be costly

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
It's getting more likely with every stage. Let's see what tomorrow (today) holds for him. I'll be watching, on the edge of my seat. Mollema has been through such a development, I don't what to expect from him on the Angliru.

I hope he does well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Interview in De Telegraaf pretty much confirms what I thought. Mollema was on a lesser day and didn't have the legs he had yesterday (appearently felt super there).

But when he heard Nibali was dropped he just fixated himself on Wiggins wheel and he was glad he held on.
Tomorrow a real test. I hope he has better legs again. Otherwise Angliru could be costly

Even when he is quite good he doesn't necessarily look good on the bike. A bit like Evans in that sense. tbh Wiggins was hurting pretty bad as well so Bauke shouldn't be too worried. Hey, Bauke has some support in me from Australia! I will be cheering for him.:)

TRENDING THREADS