• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So, can he do it?

• Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This dude
bmt8hw

want to win giro-tour?

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish

Big congratulations to Brad Wiggins for winning #SPOTY last night. I can imagine there's no alcohol left in London this morning!

:D:D oh Cav..

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think he's delirious a bit after all success and partying this year.
But if he's serious - the Tour will be real problem. It's difficult enough taken alone, and paired with Giro it's nearly impossible.
I'll understand his latest statements as mind games. Makes more sense.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If Contador couldn't, it says only about him.

It is a matter of a super rider exceptionally. Contador may be can, Froome, Wiggins maybe. Probably, one will seriously hit a GT scene in the nearer years. It can happen next year, but it won't a miracle if no one wins in 50 years. Anyway, one should have much luck and many coincidences to do this. But I stick to my opinion. It would be easier for a rider with an emphasis on TT.

The main problem is a double has to be a need of supreme level as everything less significant should already be achieved. So in reality such an attempt can occur only from Contador, but I'm not absolutely sure. Even 2011 try was one global necessity for fear of skipping the Tour. Contador said something like he might be try after the 2010 Tour, but I don't think he would make his mind up go for it purposefully. Winning a Giro-Tour double like an improvization is obviously unlikely.

airstream said:
If Contador couldn't, it says only about him.

It is a matter of a super rider exceptionally. Contador may be can, Froome, Wiggins maybe. Probably, one will seriously hit a GT scene in the nearer years. It can happen next year, but it won't a miracle if no one wins in 50 years. Anyway, one should have much luck and many coincidences to do this. But I stick to my opinion. It would be easier for a rider with an emphasis on TT.

The main problem is a double has to be a need of supreme level as everything less significant should already be achieved. So in reality such an attempt can occur only from Contador, but I'm not absolutely sure. Even 2011 try was one global necessity for fear of skipping the Tour. Contador said something like he might be try after the 2010 Tour, but I don't think he would make his mind up go for it purposefully. Winning a Giro-Tour double like an improvization is obviously unlikely.

This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?

I was saying he can, not he will. Ha can because all other GTs were won and he can deserve to take an extra risk and try even if he fails and the entire season will be a ineffective sacrifice. I just draw a principal line before 'total palmares' and 'actual strength' so I consider Froome #1 favorite for the Tour, though, clearly he won't try a double at an early date.

Fans and fanboys can be very different. Say jens_attacks, a big fanboy actually, but it is unfolded in a very kind manner. Blind fanboysism towards huge mountain show! Full contact! That is great. But many things make me laugh. Some fans assert a right for Contador's exceptionality and being underlinedly by far stronger than others so zealously and desperately. Lol, he defends himself far less actively than one do this on the forum. I'm not against fanboysism, I'm against when fanboysism makes people sling mud and belittle other riders. Calling people idiots, attempts to give rivals a role of gazelle, saying 'i hate him because he can beat Alberto'. There was a lot of things. :)

CRAP? Damn... What crap? With what should I agree?

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, any rider can. If the rider is 100% and he have a great team that allow. The team must protect and he (leader) shall not fall and pricinpalmente not have anyone better than him in the peloton.

I like Wiggo, but not a chance in heck of doing the double next year or any year*
Its simply beyond anyone in the modern era. The residual effects of the Giro simply must affect the tour.

*unless they REALLY give favorable parcours with maybe 2-300km of ITT.

TRENDING THREADS