• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Canned" Photos

Stock photos suck. A photo presented with an article or race report is a wealth of information about a rider's effort, equipment and the course.

When I see this with the race report for stage 21 of the 2010 Giro:

larssonfinish_600.jpg

I would think that's Gustav Larsson riding in the Giro D'Italia. Except it's not. It's from the 2009 Tour de France!

This picture supposedly shows Zabriskie during Stage 5 of last year's Tour of Missouri:

jd09touprlg017_600.jpg

Except this picture supposedly also is Zabriskie in the same stage. I guess he had a uniform change 1/2 way through.

jd_09tomstg5_zabriskie_600.jpg

If CN is going to throw up old pictures, please clarify when the photo is from. It is misleading at best, sloppy or lazy at worst when a photo is presented as being from a specific event, though it is not.

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention. The use of "canned" photos is widespread in the internet news business, but we have a little glitch with our system that puts the photos into the race gallery if we use a "canned" pic for a news item related to that race. It's something we're planning to iron out in the near future.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Even better than "stock" pics is manipulated pics.

Few years ago the venerable G. Watson posted a pic on his website of Pharmstrong (who else, right?) riding the final laps of the Champs. In the original pic there was half a wheel showing in front LA, plus a bunch of other 'noise'. The next day the exact same picture was posted with the wheel and noise photoshopped out. I understand it is Watson's property and he can do what he wants with it, but why?!? Why alter the actual truth of the moment just for a more appealing shot of a solo Uniballer? Pretty much a massive show of disrespect to the other racers.

Likewise, I lost a huge amount of respect for Watson that day. No better than a politician or Enronesque CEO in my eyes. All for money and show.