• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cannondale getting dropped in the new era of cycling

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
I find it odd that Talansky retires way before the end of the season at 28.

No interest in riding a last worlds or a last monument Lombardia and savour it before hanging up his bike......strange, it is almost like he cant finish the season, because maybe he tested positive...........anyways all his doping buddies were wishing him well, Hincapie et al........

PS could not see a Talansky thread, if mods want to move feel free.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Vaughters not watching the freak show of La Vuelta. Crazy to think this guy claims to be dedicated to anti-doping and yet wants to continue in the sport.

So the CD EF deal appears to see EF taking a majority stake (eventually) in Slipstream Sports. Here's the question that needs to be asked but won't be - will this be done by issuing new shares and thus bringing money into the team, or will it be done by existing shareholders selling some (all?) of their stakes to EF, thus putting money into their own back pockets?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
So the CD EF deal appears to see EF taking a majority stake (eventually) in Slipstream Sports. Here's the question that needs to be asked but won't be - will this be done by issuing new shares and thus bringing money into the team, or will it be done by existing shareholders selling some (all?) of their stakes to EF, thus putting money into their own back pockets?

Tweet him and watch him block you :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The team will keep crowdsourced funds and will fulfill all promises associated with donations — everything from mugs and tote bags to rides with the team.

The cash raised through crowdfunding will be used for two purposes. First, the team will drastically increase its spending on science and technology. “Everything from aerodynamics to nutrition. Just executing well on what is known to work,” Vaughters said. “We haven’t always done that. Sometimes when you’re scraping on a budget, things fall through the cracks.”

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cannondale-becomes-ef-education-first-drapac_447772#GoQlWzM3QixMXPxJ.99

Jeez no mention of internal testing for dope.......

Still no mention of Danielson.....

Ah well JV the clown still giving us all a laugh in pro cycling circus :)

JV's expecting CD EF to have a sucky 2018 season and is setting expectations accordingly:
“Winning races and getting the sponsor logo in the media is really nice, but sponsorship today is all about engagement,” Vaughters said. “So if your fans are that engaged, that shows the level of what we can bring to a brand.”

Re:

Benotti69 said:
The cash raised through crowdfunding will be used for two purposes. First, the team will drastically increase its spending on science and technology. “Everything from aerodynamics to nutrition. Just executing well on what is known to work,”

How much money does one need to decide against wearing those poc mushroom hats or riding the oldest bike design in the pro peloton? Wheel sponsor Mavic is a perfect summary of the team's approach: all show and no go. (I happen to think Mavic is the least technologically innovative wheel company out there, but I'm glad their junk has good resale value.)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
JV's expecting CD EF to have a sucky 2018 season and is setting expectations accordingly:
“Winning races and getting the sponsor logo in the media is really nice, but sponsorship today is all about engagement,” Vaughters said. “So if your fans are that engaged, that shows the level of what we can bring to a brand.”

Yep.

Boy does he do smug so well. Never mind the snake oil.

Re: Re:

proffate said:
Benotti69 said:
The cash raised through crowdfunding will be used for two purposes. First, the team will drastically increase its spending on science and technology. “Everything from aerodynamics to nutrition. Just executing well on what is known to work,”

How much money does one need to decide against wearing those poc mushroom hats or riding the oldest bike design in the pro peloton? Wheel sponsor Mavic is a perfect summary of the team's approach: all show and no go. (I happen to think Mavic is the least technologically innovative wheel company out there, but I'm glad their junk has good resale value.)

I still have yet to see anyone look good in a POC helmet (road, the MTB ones aren't horrible), even the pros. Normally the pros make things look better, but the Octal and aero Octal are horrible. So ugly.

The amazing thing to me is that I've seen quite a lot of people in them, from full on roadies to commuters! Blows my mind, due to the looks AND the price tag. No thanks.

Even ultra-cool Sep VM looks bad in them :eek:

Well here's a first - me quoting Phil Gaimon approvingly:
I wasn't the only one who suffered from JV's silent treatment over the years. In fact, from what I could tell, he'd never actually fired anyone - he'd just ignore you until you got the message. I'm sure it's not easy to "break up" with riders every year, because it's not just losing a paycheck - it's heartbreak and failure. JV was a kingmaker: he pointed the finger and said "you," and your life was changed forever. When he signed someone, he'd Tweet about it, sharing the joy, accepting praise from fans and media, so it hurt when it was over, he made us go through it alone - no "I'm sorry we can't take you back," "thanks for your work," or even "good luck." A former team member sent me a picture of T-shirts he'd had made which said "Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," which he'd given to all the guys JV had burned over the years. I didn't get one, though. He'd run out.
DJkkZ5aW4AANems.jpg
via

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Well here's a first - me quoting Phil Gaimon approvingly:
I wasn't the only one who suffered from JV's silent treatment over the years. In fact, from what I could tell, he'd never actually fired anyone - he'd just ignore you until you got the message. I'm sure it's not easy to "break up" with riders every year, because it's not just losing a paycheck - it's heartbreak and failure. JV was a kingmaker: he pointed the finger and said "you," and your life was changed forever. When he signed someone, he'd Tweet about it, sharing the joy, accepting praise from fans and media, so it hurt when it was over, he made us go through it alone - no "I'm sorry we can't take you back," "thanks for your work," or even "good luck." A former team member sent me a picture of T-shirts he'd had made which said "Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," which he'd given to all the guys JV had burned over the years. I didn't get one, though. He'd run out.
DJkkZ5aW4AANems.jpg
via

I wonder does JV have emotional baggage from his childhood, because that is strange behaviour.

Ouch!

"Friends don't let friends ride for Garmin," :lol:

thehog said:
New sponsors, same ****** results. Who’s going to put this dog down? :cool:

Didn't they have a podium with Uran last year? It's not a good thing to wish teams to dissolve considering how often teams are simply struggling to survive. Being a long time fan and owner of Cannondale bikes, I started riding seriously and racing on Cannondales. I guess I'm biased but I'm inclined to root for their success and continued existence as a sponsor at the sport's highest level.

pastronef said:
thehog said:

it´s about air time and website clicks and cheers from the public. average Slipstream.
Craddock and Phinney got a lot of that. compare to Fortuneo or Cofidis or even Katusha that with a budget 3 times bigger sucked and its Tour was meh

Not in France, no. Fortuneo and Cofidis are always advertised heavily during the Tour.

May 30, 2016
Visit site
thehog said:
The way the riders on that CLEAN team (they must be!!!) get whipped mercilessly, wouldn't one of them get fed up, or embarrassed enough to speak up? I didnt even know Phinney was in the race til he broke his nose. I have no clue who else rode the tour from that team other than Lawson and Rigo.

TRENDING THREADS