• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cantwell, Can't sprint Well? Criterium Internationale

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
What the hell was Cantwell doing in the last seconds of the Criterium Internationale? Was he trying to stop the whole F'N field from finishing? Why the hell wasn't he relegated to DEAD F'N LAST? Or street cleaner?

http://www.steephill.tv/players/gen...nternational/Stage-1-and-2-highlights&yr=2013

JEEZ! Clearly, he can't go straight down the road. He came from the far right side and did a 90deg left in front of Bouhanni. Then, (probably cuz he was about to get punched in the neck by Bouhanni), he swept back to the right and nearly took out Koretzky, who was in the process of taking 3rd, but ended up struggling to stay upright with Cantwell swerving around like a drunk in front of him.

That is one reckless MF'r. Perhaps, he should stick to the lowest level criterium racing he can find in Australia. He's unlikely to remain unharmed, (that is, un-tossed in the nearest ditch), at his current level.

The miscreant Cantwell, left to his own devices, (disclaimer: Final seconds of aforementioned race, recorded for Cantwell's questionable posterity, available for your viewing pleasure on youtube, cycling.tv, steephill, etc, & clearly illustrating what devices he is apt to employ, trying to finish in the front), Saxo-Tinkoff may find they have employed a one-man wrecking crew, responsible for the majority of the field laying on their backs, wheels in the air, just feet from the finish line.

RIDE: Let’s talk about the Criterium International sprint in Porto Vecchio because there’s a photo of you taking a big dive across the road in front of Nacer Bouhanni… have you seen that shot?

Jonathan Cantwell: “I was on a spare bike and it looked like my chain actually came off – from the big chainring to the small chainring – so it wasn’t a deliberate move to take anybody out or close the road or anything like that. It was basically only five metres before the finish line; it was such a sudden reaction that I didn’t know what happened. It did look pretty erratic, that’s for sure. I was just happy that nobody crashed or anything. It was a hard finish. It was a one-kilometre drag uphill about three per cent and it was really tough. I wasn’t one hundred per cent healthy and it took it out of me a bit.”

Source: http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=9284

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is a load of SH!T explanation

search said:
RIDE: Let’s talk about the Criterium International sprint in Porto Vecchio because there’s a photo of you taking a big dive across the road in front of Nacer Bouhanni… have you seen that shot?

Jonathan Cantwell: “I was on a spare bike and it looked like my chain actually came off – from the big chainring to the small chainring – so it wasn’t a deliberate move to take anybody out or close the road or anything like that. It was basically only five metres before the finish line; it was such a sudden reaction that I didn’t know what happened. It did look pretty erratic, that’s for sure. I was just happy that nobody crashed or anything. It was a hard finish. It was a one-kilometre drag uphill about three per cent and it was really tough. I wasn’t one hundred per cent healthy and it took it out of me a bit.”

Oh for faksake! What a bunch of horse sh!t! That's a completely implausible explanation for the rookiest of moves, that you wouldn't catch even the noobiest of noob juniors making... because they KNOW BETTER! (Yes, yes, I totally get the reference to Tyler Farrar's total crap bike handling, and seeming need to take out everyone in front and behind... hey wait, are these two related or something?)

Anyway, the VIDEO clearly shows you still pedaling, Jonathan Cant-sprint-Well!

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
search said:

Good on him for explaining it, respect.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
shalgo said:
Right after he swerves, you can see him stop pedaling and look down--it seems plausible that something was wrong with his bike.

I noticed that as well. To me it seemed something was wrong with his pedals, maybe his shoe had popped out causing the swerve.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
honeybtini said:
Anyway, the VIDEO clearly shows you still pedaling, Jonathan Cant-sprint-Well!

I do think you need a pair of glasses cause he clearly stop pedalling and look down to check what's going on but your "violent" posts sounds like you got some past problems with Cantwell himself and just trying to find an excuse for start a topic against the guy.

images