• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Escarabajo said:
Very good. But sadly just like in many other countries they are more focused on soccer. For instance at this moment they are more interested in the Falcao transfer from Atletico de Madrid to El Monaco. And also about the next national soccer team meetings for the eliminations for the Brazil World Cup.

Few months back around November I had a conversation with some Colombians at a dinner. They were not truly cycling fans but they would show interest if somebody brought the subject to them. They were talking about the 80's and how good of an era that was and how come that era never came back. And how we have never had cyclists like in the 80's again. They were completely shocked when I told them that we are going through the best time of our cycling history. They kind of laughed at me. I told them to wait a little and they would listen about them in the news. I especially talked to them about the “Fabulous Five” That we would get GT victories from them. That we never had so many Colombian in Europeans roads since the 80’s. They asked me why they don’t read about them in the news. I told them to wait a little.

Shortly after the conversation took place Uran took silver in the Olympics. And after all that has happened this year now people are starting to show more interest again. In fact yesterday I read that Colombia for the first time in History is first in the UCI points classifications. The problem was that the victories and podiums were not coming yet until this year. Only we, cycling fans knew about it.

In fact if you take the stage to Tre Cime di Lavaredo and add Quintana and a healthy Henao we could have swept all the first positions (in different order of course, because of Nibali’s good form). And those are the Fabulous Five. And to be honest I wasn’t sure that Betancur had it in him and now we are sure that he can be consistent for three weeks (Be Afraid, very afraid). The only one that has underperformed is Duarte. But even he was coming along during the third week. If it wasn’t for his poor training schedule. Duarte is still to prove that he can hold a good form for three weeks. He hasn’t proved that yet. Anyway here is the article from Cyclingnews about the UCI points classification:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-moves-to-second-on-worldtour-rankings-after-giro-victory



This is the Colombian Renaissance or even better. I am hoping for the best.
Are the races (such as Giro) in Europe live on TV in Colombia?

It will probably never be the same as in the 80s though. Life has moved on. I remember reading on Cycling Inquisition about the neighborhoods assembling around the radio to listen about the ventures of the Colombian riders in Europe. That creates a buzz like nothing else and because of increased internet coverage etc the mass celebration of cycling will probably not happen anymore, no matter the results.
 
del1962 said:
If Duarte was on a world tour team then Colombia would have even more points.
I believe the points for a 2nd place in a giro stage is 8, so they would have 8 more points.

If Pantano was on a WT team it would be 4 more points.

So unlikely to make much of a difference.
 
Arnout said:
Are the races (such as Giro) in Europe live on TV in Colombia?

It will probably never be the same as in the 80s though. Life has moved on. I remember reading on Cycling Inquisition about the neighborhoods assembling around the radio to listen about the ventures of the Colombian riders in Europe. That creates a buzz like nothing else and because of increased internet coverage etc the mass celebration of cycling will probably not happen anymore, no matter the results.
Im not sure if the type of places the pro cyclists come from have internet access. Colombia is developing but there is still large inequality so Im not sure what the internet coverage is like. With guys like Uran and Quintana we read about the sacrifices they had to make growing up even to be able to cycle. I wonder if Nairo's parents ever even left the village they grew up in at any point in their lives before they were called up for the reception with Santos at the presidential palace after Nairo won tour lav.

Cycling was so popular in Colombia, not just in the 80's but before as well, largely because the Vuelta a Colombia and its radio broadcasts helped the people aquiant themselves with the geography of the country. It will never be that popular again and certainly never compete with football.

But even now cycling gets far more attention in the Colombian press than anywhere else outside europe. Success for the cyclists in europe will only increase that, though it would do a world of good if other Andean countries (especially Bolivia) also produced a few good cyclists each so then the whole region would consider the sport important and come to identify with it. Expanding the sport into South America and East Asia should be by far the main priority of the UCI

I do think it would help if Colombian football went back to being dire again, so hopefully this Falcao guy turns out a flop:p
 
Arnout said:
Are the races (such as Giro) in Europe live on TV in Colombia?

It will probably never be the same as in the 80s though. Life has moved on. I remember reading on Cycling Inquisition about the neighborhoods assembling around the radio to listen about the ventures of the Colombian riders in Europe. That creates a buzz like nothing else and because of increased internet coverage etc the mass celebration of cycling will probably not happen anymore, no matter the results.
It will never be the same again. I used to wake up very early in the morning to listen to the radio. There were several guys, but the main ones were Hector Urrego (El Profe) and Julio Arrastia Brica. Of course they were with other people that used to do the shouting. When they made the first Tour team in 1983 it was epic. And yes people everywhere would quit their work to go gather around a TV to cheer for the Escarabajos in Europe. Practically nobody would work during the last climb of the mountain stages. I went to catholic school where the Spanish priests used to brag about Delgado and Arroyo. So there was some kind of a rivalry right there. LOL.

Anyway, nowadays with the communications that we have everything is being broadcasted. Last time I went there I could watch the Tour in French or Spanish if I wanted to. There were even two options for the Spanish channels, one from international television (ESPN) and one coming actually for the Colombian TV's only.

I have not checked the radio broadcast anymore. I do the shouting myself now in front of the TV.
 
So this little fellow is a very intersting character. I was alerted to his potential by some of you guys during his Dunkerque performance in 2012, and will find it hard to forget that slow-motion sprint against Henao in Pais Vasco last year.

After a great Giro, he stank Spain out of it during the Vuelta, and it seemed as if there was a problem between him and the team management. I am not as connected as some are on here (and I have a terrible memory, but I seem to remember whispers on here that he didn't really want to do a GT in Spain).

He didn't fare badly really in Lombardia and the WRR, and showed signs of life in Beijing, but the season really petered out.

But after what in hindsight looked like a necessary pipe-opener in Argentina, he got a lot of praise from JC Peraud and journalists for his ride on Faron.

So I have a few questions.

What are his plans this year?
Are there any problems with his motivation/weight?
Will he be given the necessary opportunities by his team if there is any friction in-camp?
Can he podium a GT this year or win a hilly Classic?
 
May 5, 2011
5,806
0
0
barmaher said:
So this little fellow is a very intersting character. I was alerted to his potential by some of you guys during his Dunkerque performance in 2012, and will find it hard to forget that slow-motion sprint against Henao in Pais Vasco last year.

After a great Giro, he stank Spain out of it during the Vuelta, and it seemed as if there was a problem between him and the team management. I am not as connected as some are on here (and I have a terrible memory, but I seem to remember whispers on here that he didn't really want to do a GT in Spain).

He didn't fare badly really in Lombardia and the WRR, and showed signs of life in Beijing, but the season really petered out.

But after what in hindsight looked like a necessary pipe-opener in Argentina, he got a lot of praise from JC Peraud and journalists for his ride on Faron.

So I have a few questions.

What are his plans this year?
Are there any problems with his motivation/weight?
Will he be given the necessary opportunities by his team if there is any friction in-camp?
Can he podium a GT this year or win a hilly Classic?
Guess he will go for ardennes and giro or tour
He is really lazy (compared to other pro cyclists ofc) and riding mostly on his huge talent
Don't think there is much problems in the team really, but if there wa I dout the DS could stop him from attacking anyways :p
Yes, and yes
 
Vino attacks everyone said:
Guess he will go for ardennes and giro or tour
He is really lazy (compared to other pro cyclists ofc) and riding mostly on his huge talent
Don't think there is much problems in the team really, but if there wa I dout the DS could stop him from attacking anyways :p
Yes, and yes
It was decided at the beginning of the season that he will do the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/betancur-eyes-tour-de-france-debut-in-2014
 
Mar 31, 2010
16,174
0
0
barmaher said:
So this little fellow is a very intersting character. I was alerted to his potential by some of you guys during his Dunkerque performance in 2012, and will find it hard to forget that slow-motion sprint against Henao in Pais Vasco last year.

After a great Giro, he stank Spain out of it during the Vuelta, and it seemed as if there was a problem between him and the team management. I am not as connected as some are on here (and I have a terrible memory, but I seem to remember whispers on here that he didn't really want to do a GT in Spain).

He didn't fare badly really in Lombardia and the WRR, and showed signs of life in Beijing, but the season really petered out.

But after what in hindsight looked like a necessary pipe-opener in Argentina, he got a lot of praise from JC Peraud and journalists for his ride on Faron.

So I have a few questions.

What are his plans this year?
Are there any problems with his motivation/weight?
Will he be given the necessary opportunities by his team if there is any friction in-camp?
Can he podium a GT this year or win a hilly Classic?
he doesn't or didn't have any problems with management at all. he's just incredibly lazy, story of his life also in colombia. but also madly talented. freire like. he needs almost no racing to get in form. however after giro 2013 he touched his bike less than a few time according to people I've heard from in colombia and he came into the vuelta in the worst form ever. he also had these problems with acqua en sapone and he still went giro in with 5 kg overweight. after 3 weeks he finally got into proper form and was very strong. seems this winder he mostly ate
 
Apr 10, 2011
4,362
0
0
It's crazy. This guy can make himself future where he can be as lazy as he wants after few years in cycling.. some people really do well at wasting their talents. Not saying Betancur will, just general
 
Just to stop that unsupported rant against my man Betancur - HE AIN'T LAZY AT ALL :mad:PLEASE STOP THAT MADNESS:mad:

In multiple interviews he has claimed when the season is off-he simply enjoys amply the holidays & the good thing he gets in Colombia. The weight issue means he should impose a "self discipline" to measure his cravings-It does not mean he is LAZY. He will get in shape & shut the filthy mouths of those CN haters with amazing victories................................................................................ So then he can go gladly off season and put some weight once more:p:D
 
May 5, 2011
5,806
0
0
hfer07 said:
Just to stop that unsupported rant against my man Betancur - HE AIN'T LAZY AT ALL :mad:PLEASE STOP THAT MADNESS:mad:

In multiple interviews he has claimed when the season is off-he simply enjoys amply the holidays & the good thing he gets in Colombia. The weight issue means he should impose a "self discipline" to measure his cravings-It does not mean he is LAZY. He will get in shape & shut the filthy mouths of those CN haters with amazing victories................................................................................ So then he can go gladly off season and put some weight once more:p
fat


.........












:p
 
Aug 4, 2010
9,234
0
0
Escarabajo said:
If he can only cut the "junk food". It did wonders for Horner!!

I cannot blame him for wanting some "arepas" and "chorizos" from the "Bandejas Paisas". That's his cryptonite.

We have to hope he will be few kg under his giro '13 weight,then he can fly,I believe...question is..is it good for Ardennes to radically lose weight?

That dish under looks delicious!viva colombia :)
 
Jan 8, 2013
393
0
4,280
ILovecycling said:
We have to hope he will be few kg under his giro '13 weight,then he can fly,I believe...question is..is it good for Ardennes to radically lose weight?

That dish under looks delicious!viva colombia :)
Number 1 reason that I can't lose weight.
Number 2 reason? chocorramos.
Number 3 reason? empanadas.
 
Jun 10, 2013
8,352
0
0
Can the mods or the OP change the thread title so that Betancur's name's first letters are capital? It's quite annoying tbh. :eek:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS