Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
BigMac said:
liamito said:
Escarabajo said:
No place for Betancur at the Giro.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/movistar-name-11-riders-for-giro-ditalia-squad/

If he gets if some kind of shape he could be ready for La Vuelta.

It looks like the leash is short at Movistar.
Let's see what he can do in Dauphiné or Tour de Suisse? No Nairo or Valverde in those races.
But likely Izaguirre, Intxausti...

To the bolded, are we saying this everytime he fails selection to a race? ''Maybe next time?''. The guy is a lost cause. He's not in shape for the Giro and he won't be in shape for any race until the season ends. How come fans don't understand.
god, can't imagine what an idiot you must feel like now :rolleyes:
I don't feel like an idiot, you can see my replies up thread. I said I suck it up.

Unlike you, Ryo, I don't disappear for an entire month after being proved wrong.

Good on him.
Ryo doesn't dissapear when proved wrong. He just gets banned all the time.
He's been proven wrong so many times the universe lost count and when he's been proven wrong he just never replies to the people that proof him wrong. He just ignores it like it isn't there and makes another claim on which he gets proven wrong again... and again. Ofcourse sometimes he's right, but aren't we all?
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
carolina said:


is it just me or the guy from caja rural is celebrating betancur's win?
Brilliant just brilliant :)
Lol, today I say a chubby guy in an Orica jersey who looked exactly like Betancur and now I hear that he won a stage, apparently it was a good omen. :D
 
Re:

hrotha said:
He already reached a decent level last year at the Giro. The problem will come when his first racing block ends, only this time that will be before getting to do a GT.
But last year he needed 3 full months of racing to get into shape. He started PN then did Catalunya, Pais Vasco, Ardennes and Romandie before the Giro. That is a huge amount of racing and kilometres. Quite sure he had most racedays of any rider in the peloton after Giro.

This year he did half of a couple classics and circuit de la Sarthe and now he looks okay already. His base shape must be much better this year compared to last year.

let's hope for him he uses this as motivation and keeps working and doesn't rest on his laurels now.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Looking at the picture, it is clear that his extra layer of body fat gave him a slight advantage today as most of the pro cyclist are close to anorexic with extremely low levels of body fat that could provide some comfort during a race like today.

The real question is: Will this win motivate him to train harder to win again or will this win provide a satisfaction of accomplishment and he will go back to his lazy routine?
 
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Ryo doesn't dissapear when proved wrong. He just gets banned all the time.
He's been proven wrong so many times the universe lost count and when he's been proven wrong he just never replies to the people that proof him wrong. He just ignores it like it isn't there and makes another claim on which he gets proven wrong again... and again. Ofcourse sometimes he's right, but aren't we all?
Ryo is our very own Nostradamus.
 
Jan 8, 2013
584
0
4,280
Re:

carolina said:


is it just me or the guy from caja rural is celebrating betancur's win?
So it turns out that the other rider felt that Carlos did not pull his weight and didn't deserve the win, so he was pointing at him like "You...You..." implying that it wasn't really earned. The rider (Bilbao?) went on to say that he had no energy but that Carlos didn't really do anything until the last 100 meters and was surprised at the tactics from someone from such a big team as Movistar. Carlos was interviewed as well and was asked about Bilbao's comments. His response was right to the point (not verbatim, paraphrasing): "I had absolutely no reason to pull. I am here to help `Bala` and he is in great form, I'm not here for the general. My job was to stay on his wheel when he attacked and I did. At the end, I saw the opportunity for the stage. Going forward, our plan is still for `Bala` for the general".
 
The win should certainly help his morale, which is always an important thing with the more flakey riders. It's obviously not the biggest win in the world and it doesn't tell us as much as a mountain stage or a steep finish, but it does show that he retains a killer instinct and a drive to win. Not very long ago, he'd have been hiding at the back of the peloton on a day like this.

Am I right in thinking that his family has moved to Pamplona this time? So hopefully no trips back to Colombia until the season is over.
 
So he deliberatly leeches Bilbao pretending he's got no aspirations for himself and therefore not working only to double-cross him in the end. His effusive celebration in light of this is almost as fun as it is sad.

Yeah, back to my old self.
 
Re:

BigMac said:
So he deliberatly leeches Bilbao pretending he's got no aspirations for himself and therefore not working only to double-cross him in the end. His effusive celebration in light of this is almost as fun as it is sad.

Yeah, back to my old self.
Are you saying that he should have screwed over his team leader to work with an opponent whose move he was covering?
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
If that video posted earlier was from today's stage, you can see Betancur working on the front of the pack well before the final. Shows either how strong he is, or how the other riders were hurting in this weather. Anyways MOV tactics made some sense, and Bilbao might have overreacted.
 
Re:

Pentacycle said:
If that video posted earlier was from today's stage, you can see Betancur working on the front of the pack well before the final. Shows either how strong he is, or how the other riders were hurting in this weather. Anyways MOV tactics made some sense, and Bilbao might have overreacted.
Yes, was from today's stage.

The weather was horrendous.
 
“Muy feliz de volver a ganar. A mí con frío me va bastante bien y tanto Alejandro como muchísimos otros corredores sufrieron bastante durante la jornada, así que tenía que aprovechar el momento. En los últimos 25 km la fuga todavía tenía dos minutos y me metí a ayudar con mis compañeros porque sabía que estábamos en desventaja frente a Caja Rural, después de liderar el pelotón todo el día. Con un ‘grande’ como Valverde había que echar una mano. Después de varios ataques se movió Bilbao y salí yo a rueda. Aunque en la bajada me sacó unos metros, nos la acabamos jugando juntos… y llegó la victoria.

Quiero disfrutar este éxito, pero los roles en el equipo son claros y no cambian: yo aquí no vengo a hacer la general y el líder es Alejandro. Veremos cómo van estas últimas dos etapas, pero el Bala está en excelente condición y seguiremos pensando en él. Este triunfo va dedicado a Franco Gini, una persona que me ayudó mucho a recuperar la confianza y me hizo reflexionar para hacer las cosas bien. Ahora disfruto con un gran equipo como Movistar Team y también va por ellos, por confiar en mí”.
Piti still the leader for Movistar, which sucks. Unleash the man!!
 
Re:

BigMac said:
So he deliberatly leeches Bilbao pretending he's got no aspirations for himself and therefore not working only to double-cross him in the end. His effusive celebration in light of this is almost as fun as it is sad.

Yeah, back to my old self.
Double cross him. :eek: What is he supposed to do, just hand him the stage? ''Here you go bud, you can have it.'' Get real.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
So Bilbao now knows how Sagan feels when nobody wants to work with you ... just to out-sprint you for the finish line :D
 
Jan 8, 2013
584
0
4,280
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Can any of the Spanish speakers translate this exchange between Bilbao, Valverde, Moreno, Lobato etc? I'm not much wiser after putting it through Google Translate, although I get the impression that the Movistar riders are joking about Bilbao complaining about not getting any help from Betancur

https://twitter.com/JaviMorenoBazan/status/721056616850788352
Trying my best here:

Ciclismo a Fondo (quoting Bilbao): A Team like Movistar needs to ride more valor (implying they didn't work)
Javi Moreno: What are you talking about? what makes you try to sprint 100 meters from the finish?
Alejandro Valverde: How are we missing valor? We spent ALL DAY pulling AND you sprint 100 meters from the finish.
Juanjo Lobato: What weird things you have..why do you start a sprint 100 meters from the finish, I would have done it before.
Jose Joaquin rojas: And on the tops
Enrique Sanz: I'm a fan of your humor Javi. made in Jaen
Diazcamarasa: It's the heat (of the moment?), it affected him and that was it.
Ruper: It made more sense to take turns and to leave the team boss behind
Ernesto Ortiz Diaz: What were you waiting for, that Betancur helped to take time off Valverde?
Pedro Sanchez: Unwritten rules of the road, if you don't win, all tactical games have no value
 
Re:

BigMac said:
So he deliberatly leeches Bilbao pretending he's got no aspirations for himself and therefore not working only to double-cross him in the end. His effusive celebration in light of this is almost as fun as it is sad.

Yeah, back to my old self.
Stop. Please, stop. It's getting ridiculous.

Why do you still care about this person, BigMac?

BigMac said:
Why do you still care about this person, who is clearly giving the middle finger to y'all and the sport. I just wished he grew so fat during the winter, he wouldn't be able to get inside a plane back to Europe.
 
Re: Re:

gospina said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Can any of the Spanish speakers translate this exchange between Bilbao, Valverde, Moreno, Lobato etc? I'm not much wiser after putting it through Google Translate, although I get the impression that the Movistar riders are joking about Bilbao complaining about not getting any help from Betancur

https://twitter.com/JaviMorenoBazan/status/721056616850788352
Trying my best here:

Ciclismo a Fondo (quoting Bilbao): A Team like Movistar needs to ride more valor (implying they didn't work)
Javi Moreno: What are you talking about? what makes you try to sprint 100 meters from the finish?
Alejandro Valverde: How are we missing valor? We spent ALL DAY pulling AND you sprint 100 meters from the finish.
Juanjo Lobato: What weird things you have..why do you start a sprint 100 meters from the finish, I would have done it before.
Jose Joaquin rojas: And on the tops
Enrique Sanz: I'm a fan of your humor Javi. made in Jaen
Diazcamarasa: It's the heat (of the moment?), it affected him and that was it.
Ruper: It made more sense to take turns and to leave the team boss behind
Ernesto Ortiz Diaz: What were you waiting for, that Betancur helped to take time off Valverde?
Pedro Sanchez: Unwritten rules of the road, if you don't win, all tactical games have no value
Thank you, it makes a lot more sense now. That's quite a humourous response from the Movistar riders.

This last comment from Bilbao, am I right in thinking it's him going "ok, it was the heat of the moment"?

Ironia cazada;) calenton del momento, teneis razón. Mañana + y mejor. O con q mejore el tiempo me conformo
 
Jan 8, 2013
584
0
4,280
Re:

Pentacycle said:
If that video posted earlier was from today's stage, you can see Betancur working on the front of the pack well before the final. Shows either how strong he is, or how the other riders were hurting in this weather. Anyways MOV tactics made some sense, and Bilbao might have overreacted.
Most Movistar riders are congratulating Betancur, including ones in this ride. They keep on saying how strong he was, pulling all day, covering attacks for the team and even sprinting. One, I think Javi Moreno, said "The strongest engine I HAVE EVER seen, glad you won, glad to be your teammate and trained with you".
 

Irondan

Administrator
Moderator
Re: Re:

gospina said:
Pentacycle said:
If that video posted earlier was from today's stage, you can see Betancur working on the front of the pack well before the final. Shows either how strong he is, or how the other riders were hurting in this weather. Anyways MOV tactics made some sense, and Bilbao might have overreacted.
Most Movistar riders are congratulating Betancur, including ones in this ride. They keep on saying how strong he was, pulling all day, covering attacks for the team and even sprinting. One, I think Javi Moreno, said "The strongest engine I HAVE EVER seen, glad you won, glad to be your teammate and trained with you".
That's a big compliment to Carlos, but this isn't news to the world.

He has a special talent, this we all know.

It's that he's squandered this special talent (till now?) that's news..
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY