• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Being a little overweight helps him for the races and classics at the beginning of the calendar IMHO. It won't in the Tour. So he would have to be more serious about it and loose more weight.

Having said that in the last interview that I saw of him when he was in Colombia he did not look that much overweight. But my eyes could be deceiving me.

jaylew said:
Velonews link to Lavenu talking about his weight.

Thanks.

Escarabajo said:
Being a little overweight helps him for the races and classics at the beginning of the calendar IMHO. It won't in the Tour. So he would have to be more serious about it and loose more weight.

Having said that in the last interview that I saw of him when he was in Colombia he did not look that much overweight. But my eyes could be deceiving me.
Just what I thought

Betancur admitted he’s far from top condition, but added that the extra weight he’s packing right now is giving him more power in his sprints.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Eric Bouvat, team doctor of AG2R, on Betancur's weight:

"His weight is his weakness. He is too gluttonous, especially when he goes home to Colombia. His family comes from the rural world, and there you eat good things. He is not yet at his target weight. If he wants to win one of the three Ardennes Classics, which is his main goal, he needs to lose three or four kilos".

Dr. Bouvat also talked about his performances, and the approach that AG2R take to working with him:

"At full effort, his results are truly exceptional. He has a rare engine. Of course the weight to power ratio is important. We know that his ideal weight is 60kg (for 170cm), but that is not the only factor: if you impose a strict diet, that might affect the morale. We are not going to start putting him on a scale every day. We need to progressively work with him, in light of his experience and his culture".

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-ardennaises-carlos-betancur-doit-perdre-3-ou-4-kg-39112.html

Christian said:
Eric Bouvat, team doctor of AG2R, on Betancur's weight:

"His weight is his weakness. He is too gluttonous, especially when he goes home to Colombia. His family comes from the rural world, and there you eat good things. He is not yet at his target weight. If he wants to win one of the three Ardennes Classics, which is his main goal, he needs to lose three or four kilos".

Dr. Bouvat also talked about his performances, and the approach that AG2R take to working with him:

"At full effort, his results are truly exceptional. He has a rare engine. Of course the weight to power ratio is important. We know that his ideal weight is 60kg (for 170cm), but that is not the only factor: if you impose a strict diet, that might affect the morale. We are not going to start putting him on a scale every day. We need to progressively work with him, in light of his experience and his culture".

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-ardennaises-carlos-betancur-doit-perdre-3-ou-4-kg-39112.html

Thanks for the link Christian:)
Is going to be difficult for him to shed those extra kilos by the time the Ardennes classics arrive without hurting his fitness, so I can only see him with serious options on Amstel Gold even with a kilo heavier...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:
By winning Paris-Nice, winning the young jersey and winning the two stages, he is now ranked as #1 rider in the UCI. I need to know what Operacion Bikini is ASAP!

:D:D

Credit to La Ronca!Great race!:)
Make them feel the Ardennes:cool:

hfer07 said:
Thanks for the link Christian:)
Is going to be difficult for him to shed those extra kilos by the time the Ardennes classics arrive without hurting his fitness, so I can only see him with serious options on Amstel Gold even with a kilo heavier...

Though the Amstel is the race that suits him the least of the ardennes, and I dont see how he could win it.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
gospina said:
By winning Paris-Nice, winning the young jersey and winning the two stages, he is now ranked as #1 rider in the UCI. I need to know what Operacion Bikini is ASAP!

Operacion Bikini. Thanks for making me almost choke to death out of laughter. :D

Betancur, what a guy. :cool:

Bushman said:
Though the Amstel is the race that suits him the least of the ardennes, and I dont see how he could win it.

Nobody bet a penny on him to win P-N and he did;)
BTW A-G suits him fine if he's unable to shed the kilos to perform properly on the other Ardennes where the "climbs" will take a toll, because of his weight issue

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
BgDVjojIAAAqT6x.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Nobody bet a penny on him to win P-N and he did;)
BTW A-G suits him fine if he's unable to shed the kilos to perform properly on the other Ardennes where the "climbs" will take a toll, because of his weight issue

I bette don him to win p-n and his odds were x10. so he was pretty favorite.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
I thought he was doing a Quintana, from Colombia straight to the Tour. Isn't he the one that gets fat in Colombia and only keeps discipline when he's in Europe.

He is.Nairo is humble and dont have so big apetit as la Ronca;)

Sebastian Correa A @SebCorreaA
Al parecer Betancur no coge l tel ni al equipo ni a su entrendor Michele Bartoli Debio aterrizar el dia 3 en Europa no lo hizo santiasmar
Ciclo 21 ‏@ciclo21
Carlos Betancur puede perderse el Tour al no renovar su permiso de residencia en Francia, segun apuntan medios franceses
via Twitter :(

edit:what the ... is with copy and paste!!!!

TRENDING THREADS