• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
42x16ss said:
roniek said:
I'll believe it when he's on the start line :(
This. How many times have we heard he's supposed to be at a race in the last few years only to have him be a no-show?

I think there is a pretty big chance that he will race in Strade Bianche. Betancur retweeted this information and there is even exact date of his flight to Europe.

roniek said:
jaylew said:
42x16ss said:
roniek said:
I'll believe it when he's on the start line :(
This. How many times have we heard he's supposed to be at a race in the last few years only to have him be a no-show?

I think there is a pretty big chance that he will race in Strade Bianche. Betancur retweeted this information and there is even exact date of his flight to Europe.
We are not even sure if he'll make the flight!

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
Yep, his making a flight to europe is always a crapshoot....

That's a mild way of putting it. You'd think his team would have more hand in preventing his 'visa issues' from adversely affecting his season. It will be interesting to see if he manages to show up though, and how he's handled the winter.

Re:

barmaher said:
Back in the day, he was able to start the season well. A few years ago, he won Haut Var before taking Paris Nice.
That's fair, and surely he was always much more of a spring than a summer or fall rider. But he was also rather poor at his season openers in Argentina, even back in '13-'14. Then again that's really early and rarely a hallmark of a rider's season, so :confused:

I'd still settle for him finishing the race at this point.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Th funny thing is he was visibly overweight when he won those races in 2014...
The overweight is not really a problem (well it is of course, but not the biggest problem), the question is whether he has a lot of training kilometers done in Colombia. You can have a good level, and you can get rid of those 4 or 6 kilograms rather quickly, but you can't work away in a few weeks an off-season period where you barely touched your bike.

Nonetheless, he seems very motivated on Twitter so I have good hope that he'll be fine. I hope Movistar gave him clear instructions and a good race program with clear objectives. And that they keep him in Europa after his first block of racing.

Popchu said:
Valv.Piti said:
The overweight is not really a problem (well it is of course, but not the biggest problem), the question is whether he has a lot of training kilometers done in Colombia. You can have a good level, and you can get rid of those 4 or 6 kilograms rather quickly, but you can't work away in a few weeks an off-season period where you barely touched your bike.

Nonetheless, he seems very motivated on Twitter so I have good hope that he'll be fine. I hope Movistar gave him clear instructions and a good race program with clear objectives. And that they keep him in Europa after his first block of racing.

search.php?keywords=motivated&t=20683&sf=msgonly

burning said:
Popchu said:
Valv.Piti said:

search.php?keywords=motivated&t=20683&sf=msgonly

That's hilarious. Let's hope he reads this thread, finds this search link and gets motivated

Re:

Ricco' said:
https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/837958698676936705

First starting pic of the year.

Looking at that pic it's hard to believe that's a guy who finished 5th at the Giro, 3rd at Flèche, and 4th at Liège a few years go.

I miss that Betancur. He was fun to watch. :( That early attack at Flèche was amazing to me. Can't believe he almost made that stick.

That said, he doesn't look that bad to me.

Tbf he was never gonna complete Strade Bianche, thats totally fair. Had hoped he would today, but probably still a bit optimistic! It was same story least year, but lets not forget he got in very decent shape in the span of 1 month or so last year. These 2 races doesn't tell me much.

TRENDING THREADS