• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ice&fire said:
Koronin said:
I read today that they (Movistar) are planning on going with no leader/no protected rider and like last year's Vuelta each rider can race it as he sees fit for himself.
I'm wondering if that's because they lack a leader or because they lack riders able to protect their leader
I read sowehere that they were going for GC with Carapaz and Betancur. Maybe they knew something we didn't.

I think it's now quite obvious that the real reason why Valverde, Landa and Quintana are all going to the tour is that Betancur told the team he wants to be the sole leader of the gt he enters. Moreover the three probably didn't want to ride with Betancur either. They want a chance to win after all.

Gigs_98 said:
I think it's now quite obvious that the real reason why Valverde, Landa and Quintana are all going to the tour is that Betancur told the team he wants to be the sole leader of the gt he enters. Moreover the three probably didn't want to ride with Betancur either. They want a chance to win after all.
Ryo took over Gigs profile!!! :D

Escarabajo said:
Gigs_98 said:

Valverde: I can go for combative jersey
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey.
Nairo: I can go for the mountain jersey.
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey too.
Landa: I can..
Carlos: NO, don't need you in my team! Strictly team players.
Unzue: Carlos, we have to share in this team.
Carlos: FINE, I will play you best of 3 8-ball games for it.
Unzue: Not fair, you have been practicing for years on that.
Carlos: Beer chugging contest then. You four vs me. I win, I lead!
Unzue: No chance there either. Nairo, Landa, Alejandro, get ready for the Tour. La Ronca has spoken.

gospina said:
Escarabajo said:
Gigs_98 said:

Valverde: I can go for combative jersey
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey.
Nairo: I can go for the mountain jersey.
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey too.
Landa: I can..
Carlos: NO, don't need you in my team! Strictly team players.
Unzue: Carlos, we have to share in this team.
Carlos: FINE, I will play you best of 3 8-ball games for it.
Unzue: Not fair, you have been practicing for years on that.
Carlos: Beer chugging contest then. You four vs me. I win, I lead!
Unzue: No chance there either. Nairo, Landa, Alejandro, get ready for the Tour. La Ronca has spoken.
Thats probably the most likely scenario.

La Ronca has spoken

Betancur has just used the otherwise minor and inferior races like Flèche Wallone, Liege and Romandie as the preparation races they are. What a nice strategy, but I think he should have waited a little longer to show his hand. Unless of course he just went out on 80%. guy is a real tactician after all!

What a legend. Could maybe sneak a stage victory on Sicily?!

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Betancur has just used the otherwise minor and inferior races like Flèche Wallone, Liege and Romandie as the preparation races they are. What a nice strategy, but I think he should have waited a little longer to show his hand. Unless of course he just went out on 80%. guy is a real tactician after all!

What a legend. Could maybe sneak a stage victory on Sicily?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And suddenly, everyone is very optimistic about Betancur. I don't know if a 12 minute effort is representative for the rest of the Giro, but still, very good ITT! :)

The only thing that is worrisome is the fact he was really bad in the Ardennes and Romandie. I don't think he was hiding, Valverde really needed everyone in Flèche and Liège and Betancur was nowhere to be seen. Valverde is his idol, so he really does everything he can for him. Maybe it was just fatigue, because he was non-stop racing for two months or so.

However, I would like to point out that Betancur is really back on track since more than a year. He had a decent Tour, his form was really great in the Vuelta (I have a feeling a lot of people forgot about his crash) and this year he started his season quite late, but that was because of his injury, no weight issues!

If he's really at his best now (like Giro 2013, which I still doubt to be honest), a stage win and top 10 in GC should be the target. The Sicilia-stages, Montevergine, ... are fantastic opportunities for him, since he's one of the best puncheurs in the field here.

Re:

Popchu said:
And suddenly, everyone is very optimistic about Betancur. I don't know if a 12 minute effort is representative for the rest of the Giro, but still, very good ITT! :)

The only thing that is worrisome is the fact he was really bad in the Ardennes and Romandie. I don't think he was hiding, Valverde really needed everyone in Flèche and Liège and Betancur was nowhere to be seen. Valverde is his idol, so he really does everything he can for him. Maybe it was just fatigue, because he was non-stop racing for two months or so.

However, I would like to point out that Betancur is really back on track since more than a year. He had a decent Tour, his form was really great in the Vuelta (I have a feeling a lot of people forgot about his crash) and this year he started his season quite late, but that was because of his injury, no weight issues!

If he's really at his best now (like Giro 2013, which I still doubt to be honest), a stage win and top 10 in GC should be the target. The Sicilia-stages, Montevergine, ... are fantastic opportunities for him, since he's one of the best puncheurs in the field here.
Preach!

He certainly looks great on the pictures, but his recent performances are still worrisome. But I believe! Also, quite funny to think about he has been selected for the last 3 GT's. Not my some scrub team like Di Data, but for Movistar.

He looks good, but is he still as muscular as when he was best?

Giro13-ST17-Giro13-ST17-18-Betancur.jpg

Very hard to rate his performance yesterday since positioning was very import on a finish like that and he was nowhere to be seen the last kilometers.

Sending a team with 8 climbers isn't the brightest idea if Betancur and/or Carapaz go for the GC.

Re:

Popchu said:
Very hard to rate his performance yesterday since positioning was very import on a finish like that and he was nowhere to be seen the last kilometers.

Sending a team with 8 climbers isn't the brightest idea if Betancur and/or Carapaz go for the GC.

Movistar has stated that the Giro is a learning experience and there are no protected riders for this race. So what exactly they are doing I have no clue.

TRENDING THREADS