• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carlos won’t be battling for the stage tomorrow, he hasn’t got the motivation.

It’ll be Alaphilippe, Higuita, Martinez, Bernal, Carapaz, Sevilla and Ardila.
Alaphillippe and the guys who want to be good at the Giro, probably. But unless Bernal is going for Paris Nice I doubt he's going to go all in, it's too early.

Betancur should be ok tomorrow, but not fighting for the stage and TBF he shouldn't be. He's got to step up some this year and concentrate on building form because Mas and Soler are going to need all the help they can get.

No. It will be easier to spot him.

B9VX58dCQAEIMlz.jpg

I am not sure why this guy has such a long thread

Sure he won Paris Nice in a year the field wasn't great and parcours were rolling

But Henao , Soler and others have won PN and dont have this blind devotion

By all account Betencur was not liked in the peloton and is a bit of a pain

However what is really the issue in why he has such a long thread when he has done nothing for years.He took the money and didnt train or turn up in shape
That is not cool.He threw away a career

He is not some great bandit or cool dude ...

Reactions: yaco

Sure he won Paris Nice in a year the field wasn't great and parcours were rolling

However what is really the issue in why he has such a long thread when he has done nothing for years.He took the money and didnt train or turn up in shape

No idea, really. Although his last two Movistar contracts I suspect were more of fulfilling the quota of Colombian riders Movistar needed. Part of the contract Movistar team has with Movistar (company) is a requirement of 3 Colombian riders on the team.

I think very little of the thread is born out of devotion, or people considering him cool: a very large proportion is either bemusement at, or blatant ridicule of, what has become of him as his career has gone from stall to false dawn to despair.

Rewatch 2013 Giro and Fleche, then consider what should have been.

People like mercurial talents, athletes who are clearly super-talented but have some other problem (like motivation, attitude, problem outside sport etc) that holds them back and usually has them waste a lot of talent. It's more interesting than a machine who just wins all the time and doesn't have a problem.

Guys like Gascoigne, Cassano, Balotelli in football and Pantani, Vandenbroucke (more tragically) in cycling.

People like mercurial talents, athletes who are clearly super-talented but have some other problem (like motivation, attitude, problem outside sport etc) that holds them back and usually has them waste a lot of talent. It's more interesting than a machine who just wins all the time and doesn't have a problem.

Guys like Gascoigne, Cassano, Balotelli in football and Pantani, Vandenbroucke (more tragically) in cycling.
Balotelli isn't even in the top 3 of biggest wastes of Talent in the Serie A alone in the post 2000 era.
I'd say Cassano, Adriano Imperador and Pato (I know injuries, but there were also always other rumours about some of his "habbits") are the top 3.

Pantani simply is the Tupac of cycling!

TRENDING THREADS