• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Cav and Lance down for Tour of Ireland

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I hear you about Bord Failte not wanting to go into NI but that does not explain why they dont go to north more oftenl.

Surely the race could start in Dublin with a stage to Cavan or Leitrim, then one day around Donegal. A stage from Sligo through Mayo. Then either on to Galway with final stage back to Dublin or alternatively a stage that goes from Galway southwards with final stage to Cork. All in the republic and just as much beautifuk scenery as going through Waterford, Kerry etc.

Gonna start a campaign, bring the Tour of Ireland to the Northwest.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
pmcg76 said:
I hear you about Bord Failte not wanting to go into NI but that does not explain why they dont go to north more oftenl.

Surely the race could start in Dublin with a stage to Cavan or Leitrim, then one day around Donegal. A stage from Sligo through Mayo. Then either on to Galway with final stage back to Dublin or alternatively a stage that goes from Galway southwards with final stage to Cork. All in the republic and just as much beautifuk scenery as going through Waterford, Kerry etc.

Gonna start a campaign, bring the Tour of Ireland to the Northwest.

Haha- good luck with that! I do think it is just a logistic problem dictated by the commercial interest.
They will always try and have Dublin involved - either as a first stage start or last day finish. Also other tourist towns like Galway, Ennis, Clonakilty etc are more in 'favour' than say Limerick - which has yet to have a stage start/finish under the current structure.
With Cork/Kerry offering so much to Failte Ireland it makes more sence to pass through there. The only way to link in the North West would be to start the race up there - and I just dont see that happening.
Does Failte Ireland also 'support' the Rally Ireland which is run up in the North West?

Likewise, when I heard the race was to shrink to three stages I knew that the west would lose out.
 
Bord Failte do support the rally but I hate motor racing. As a friend said about the people around on rally weeked, "a load of guys dragging their knucles along the ground" and a load of boy racers in their souped up cars driving around town 100 million times under the impression they are cool. I would happily swap it for the Cycling anyday. The motor racing just dont show of an area the way a bike race does.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
pmcg76 said:
Bord Failte do support the rally but I hate motor racing. As a friend said about the people around on rally weeked, "a load of guys dragging their knucles along the ground" and a load of boy racers in their souped up cars driving around town 100 million times under the impression they are cool. I would happily swap it for the Cycling anyday. The motor racing just dont show of an area the way a bike race does.

This. That is the good thing about cycling, no bogans/chavs/trailer park trash.
 
Mar 11, 2009
20
0
0
Great that the McQuaid family son and daughter of Sir Pat UCI wheeldealer have put on the event with his cohort Rusthon but last year the Government were fleeced hence down to 3 days.
Gaping hole left in Toursit board and others bugdets. Y:Dou would think they would have learned after being cleaned out after le tour came to Ireland.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Quicksilver said:
Great that the McQuaid family son and daughter of Sir Pat UCI wheeldealer have put on the event with his cohort Rusthon but last year the Government were fleeced hence down to 3 days.
Gaping hole left in Toursit board and others bugdets. Y:Dou would think they would have learned after being cleaned out after le tour came to Ireland.

I dont think so - earlier in a press release the organisers said they were reducing the event to 3 days due to the "economic downturn".
But then they said the race would be returned to a 5 day next year! Maybe they know something about the Irish economy that no-one else knows!

Yes- budgets have been slashed across the board but I would assume the organisers had the stakeholders (An Post, Failte Ireland) 'locked down' to an agreed amount over the duration of the contract.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
I know the offical launch is later today so I will have to check in later - but I have heard that Cervelo Test Team are due to ride.
I would assume Philip Deignan will be the leader which would be good as he is having a good season.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
pmcg76 said:
Thank you Dr. I read that Roche wont be there because AG2R want him to race elsewhere, especially with his good form from the Tour. Same thing happened to Deignan when he was with AG2R last year.

Thanks for that - because I was going to add that there was no word at all on AG2R or Roche, but I thought he still might get stuck in on the National Team. That is a pity.
 
Well, the field for TOI is pretty much similar to last year, a few ProTour teams, a few second tier teams, the rest continental teams. The big plus in my opinion is the addition of Cervelo with Philip Deignan which means we might actually have a home contender this year. Garmin have not been named so would be too bad if Dan Martin were not there. Chances are I will be heading to Cork now, bring on the 6 hour drive.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Columbia HTC, Saxo Bank, Astana, Cervélo Test Team, Rabobank, BMC Racing, ISD Neri, Team Type 1, MTN Energade, Joker Bianchi, Rapha Condor, Halfords Bike Hut, CandiTV Marshall’s Pasta, An Post M. Donnelly Grant Thornton Sean Kelly squad, Irish national team, Australian national team.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
and no split stages or extra tt.. just three stages after all... :(

stage 1 - sprint
stage 2 - small breakaway
stage 3- hilly crit...

needs the extra two days.. :/
 
The provisional start list for the Tour of Ireland has been announced now, Astana, Columbia & Saxo Bank are sending strong squads so its hard to look past these teams for the winner. I will be cheering on Philip Deignan as he must be one of the favourites(seems in good form finishing 10th in Burgos) just dont know if he will be able to outride the aforementioned teams.

I think the first two days will be Cav fests so it will come down to the last day in Cork like last year, there is not as many passages of St.Patricks Hill this time which is disappointing, it was great last year. Hopefully making my way down to Cork again. Roll on next Sunday. PD for a home win.
 
Eurosport have dumped their live coverage of the week long ENECO Tour, in favour of late night's highlights of this race.
Seeing English language viewers, on this side of the pond, already have a better viewing option, I view this as a rather negative step backwards, in the promotion of the sport.

Eurosport do seem to have a policy of duplicating other tv companies schedules, at the expense of "scoops".
I assume they have taken this option, as they view the sainted one, as their number one ratings magnet.

May well be true........in the short term.

Live ENECO will only be available to the masses through RTBF.
 
Jul 29, 2009
227
0
0
Dr. Maserati said:
Haha- good luck with that! I do think it is just a logistic problem dictated by the commercial interest.
They will always try and have Dublin involved - either as a first stage start or last day finish. Also other tourist towns like Galway, Ennis, Clonakilty etc are more in 'favour' than say Limerick - which has yet to have a stage start/finish under the current structure.
With Cork/Kerry offering so much to Failte Ireland it makes more sence to pass through there. The only way to link in the North West would be to start the race up there - and I just dont see that happening.
Does Failte Ireland also 'support' the Rally Ireland which is run up in the North West?

Likewise, when I heard the race was to shrink to three stages I knew that the west would lose out.

True: difficult in three stages, but surely it would be more possible in a five stage event:

1. Dublin to Sligo
2. Donegal to Galway
3. Galway to Tralee
4. Ring of Kerry & Cork (and St. Patrick's Hill)
5. Clonmel to Dublin by way of Wicklow Mountains
 
Mellow Velo said:
Eurosport have dumped their live coverage of the week long ENECO Tour, in favour of late night's highlights of this race.
Seeing English language viewers, on this side of the pond, already have a better viewing option, I view this as a rather negative step backwards, in the promotion of the sport.

Eurosport do seem to have a policy of duplicating other tv companies schedules, at the expense of "scoops".
I assume they have taken this option, as they view the sainted one, as their number one ratings magnet.

May well be true........in the short term.

Live ENECO will only be available to the masses through RTBF.

Business as Eurosport Usual
morning1.gif

176_4a092d37d2c46.jpg
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Astana's full line up for the Tour of Ireland is: Lance Armstrong (USA), Janez Brajkovic (Slo), Jesús Hernández (Spa), Michael Schär (Swi), Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa) and Haimar Zubeldia (Spa).
 
craig1985 said:
Astana's full line up for the Tour of Ireland is: Lance Armstrong (USA), Janez Brajkovic (Slo), Jesús Hernández (Spa), Michael Schär (Swi), Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa) and Haimar Zubeldia (Spa).

Full provisional startlist at tourofireland.ie

Astana are sending a strong team but not sure how motivated they will be. Columbia are more or less sending the same team as last year whilst Saxo Bank include Fuglsang & O'Grady. Cervelo will probably be backing homeboy Philip Deignan.

It is strange that Eurosport are dropping ENECO Tour in favour of Tour of Ireland, although the Benelux race is not the most exciting either. Probably the Lance factor but I will not be looking out for him. Just hope there wont be a load of sudden 'fans' blocking my view on St.Patricks Hill.
 
Jul 17, 2009
62
0
0
Good old Eurosport, Lance has the X factor.
Pity about the reduction to 3 days but I guess the big charges rung up by the Rusthon McQuaid dynasty last year were hard to stomach. 3 days is about 11 shorter than the usual Yank takes to see the whole country.
No Lance no race was the deal.
Big fee for the post race talk for Livestrong plus plenty of craic in Ireland.
Still plenty of free VIP treatment on offer for the broadcasters, journalists and extras in Europes most expensive country.
Hopefully an Irish winner if not someone from the small tax haven Island nearby.
Party on
 
Jul 3, 2009
335
0
0
While all the talk at the Tour of Ireland will be about Armstrong and Co, please take note that sadly yesterday one of Ireland's top cyclists was tragically killed.

Paul Healion, was due to line up for the Irish National team next friday,but his life was cut short in a tragic single car accident on his way home from a race in Donore,Co Louth (where he had finished 6th). I've known Paul for about 10 years, and in that time i've never met anyone who didn't like him, he was an animal on the bike with a huge engine, and a genuine nice guy off the bike. My sympthies to his wife Ann, the Healion family, his club mates at South Dublin Road Club and all his friends in the Irish cycling community and further afield. If you knew him you'll miss him.

R.I.P Paul.
 
Very sad to learn about the tragic death of Paul Healion. He was one of the top Irish riders over the last decade. This sad loss will cast a shadow over the race this weekend but it would be great to see the Irish guys perform well in memory of Paul.

R.I.P Paul Healion