• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav and Lance down for Tour of Ireland

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Todays stage was always going to be tough - St. Patricks Hill is a cruel climb.
But I was suprised at the little course around Cork it was horrendous with lots of really tough hills.

Then the conditions that the riders endured were atrocious - which made it a race of attrition. I felt sorry for Russell as there appeared to be no way he could match the might of the Saxo team.
I felt it was a matter of time before he would not be able to follow the attacks.

Yet it was Russell who cracked everyone- a magnificant performance and a hard fought and well deserved victory.

Chapeau Russell!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
now that was a race!
You have to love the fact that a protour team had numbers in the break and yet the yellow jersey gets away with eventual 2nd place overall.
And of course class act to let the Norwegian take the stage.
But i think the highlight for me was the commentator casually stating that today really seperated the "men from the Professionals as only 40 some riders finsihed the circuit while others with million dollar insurance policies abandoned" sorry that the quote is not perfect but i didnt record the race.
that had to be the classiest putdown i have ever witnessed on television.
Bravo for British honesty
:D

ps and Malcolm Elliot in 21st overall? ageless this guy!

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
now that was a race!
You have to love the fact that a protour team had numbers in the break and yet the yellow jersey gets away with eventual 2nd place overall.
And of course class act to let the Norwegian take the stage.
But i think the highlight for me was the commentator casually stating that today really seperated the "men from the Professionals as only 40 some riders finsihed the circuit while others with million dollar insurance policies abandoned" sorry that the quote is not perfect but i didnt record the race.
that had to be the classiest putdown i have ever witnessed on television.
Bravo for British honesty
:D

ps and Malcolm Elliot in 21st overall? ageless this guy!

i saw it , thought it was great also , your quote is accurate , and yes it was priceless........

Lance, DNF?
I wonder what Joe P has to say about this?
I seem to recall him saying that climbing off before the final climb, was a Euro cyclist's ploy, along with Mr Vino.:eek::D

A shadow of last years race. Over in the blink of an eye, while the ENECO marches on. A really heavy duty stage yesterday, with no quarter given.

Not often you see an attack from 85kms out, made to stick.

Downing? Has undoubtably made this race, over the past two years.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Well down Russel Downing what a great effort and stage and everygreen Malcom Elliot 47 years young. There must be something in this yorkshire grit. Great to see real cyclists finish the course and the crowd supporting, cheering and encouraging in the rain to the end.

Imlach =brillant = put down, what a bunch of wooshies. Cassidy senior and Kelly would have loved a day like that.

Bad advertisement for cycling when over half the field climb of because of a steep hill and a downpour or three.

"The crowd stayed the soft pros climbed of in shame".

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chapeau M. Downing! How well he showed that he deserves a contract with a bigger team - and it is his boss keeps saying that! He really animated the race, and his ride yesterday was really something that Kelly could be proud of. Saxo will have to be wondering what they did wrong though - twice failing to make overwhelming numbers count, and Breschel, Kroon, Kolobnev, Fuglsang et al are not exactly wide eyed amateurs.

Great to see the crowds, thought I suspect some people were there for one or two people that they eventually didn't see. Though I cannot blame them, having walked Patrick's Hill in the past, nevertheless, when you go that far? Tut tut!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I saw part of the stage Saturday & was going to head to Patricks Hill on Sunday to see the stage end. I went to a night out on Saturday which was almost 5 hours away & i had planned on getting up around 7 AM so i could get back to the stage finish, (I currently reside in Cork). Anyway i didnt wake up till 11 am & i was well hungover so that was out the window. All i can say is that i was glad i didnt get there in the end. I would loved to have seen Armstrong & the rest struggling on Patricks Hill but then I found out that him & all of Astana, Cavendish & a host of others didnt bother to attempt it. To me that was a disgusting display of "Ah screw this im going for a shower" attitude. What about all the people who travelled from afar & stood in the rain for hours waiting to see them? I just found it very disrespectful to all the fans & also to other riders who grimaced & stuck to their guns. And please dont give me any of this "Ah there was nothing to cycle for , they werent going to win etc etc". He cycled all the way to Cork & then at the bottom of the Hill decided that it wasnt good enough for him. Back trouble my ****. The same for Cavendish, didnt want any of it cos he knew he would suffer. Yes I know Cavendish is a great sprinter but thats really it isnt it? They went seriously down in my opinion of them yesterday. If this was Armstrongs final race of the season then he could have well finished it. I know the weather was atrocious but if we all told our Bosses were not coming into work cos its raining hard outside we wouldnt be long being told where to stay.
Sorry folks but i found what happened yesterday extremely disrespectful from a lot pf parties. "Its too wet so im not climbing that huge hill".
Anyway at least Cav can now concentrate on the World Championships i suppose.......
GTF if you wimped out yesterday & are reading this.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Oh yes & congratulations to Russel Downing on his victory yesterday & the pure class in letting the Norwegian take the stage. I guarantee next year even if its a hurricane & thunderstorm you will still see Downing making a fist of it on Patricks Hill.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Kerbdog said:
I saw part of the stage Saturday & was going to head to Patricks Hill on Sunday to see the stage end. I went to a night out on Saturday which was almost 5 hours away & i had planned on getting up around 7 AM so i could get back to the stage finish, (I currently reside in Cork). Anyway i didnt wake up till 11 am & i was well hungover so that was out the window. All i can say is that i was glad i didnt get there in the end. I would loved to have seen Armstrong & the rest struggling on Patricks Hill but then I found out that him & all of Astana, Cavendish & a host of others didnt bother to attempt it. To me that was a disgusting display of "Ah screw this im going for a shower" attitude. What about al the people who travelled from afar & stood in the rain for hours waiting to see them? I just found it very disrespectful to all the fans & also to other riders who grimaced & stuck to their guns. And please dont give me any of this "Ah there was nothing to cycle for , they werent going to win etc etc". He cycled all the way to Cork & then at the bottom of the Hill decided that it wasnt good enough for him. Back trouble my ****. The same for Cavendish, didnt want any of it cos he knew he would suffer. Yes I know Cavendish is a great sprinter but thats really it isnt it? They went seriously down in my opinion of them yesterday. If this was Armstrongs final race of the season then he could have well finished it. I know the weather was atrocious but if we all told our Bosses were not coming into work cos its raining hard outside we wouldnt be long being told where to stay.
Sorry folks but i found what happened yesterday extremely disrespectful from a lot pf parties. "Its too wet so im not climbing that huge hill".
Anyway at least Cav can now concentrate on the World Championships i suppose.......

Must admit I agree with much of this sentiment. Is it the SBR ad on these pages that claims if cycling were easy it would be called football? The footballers wouldn't have stopped. My respect for pro cyclists dropped a big notch watching them all quit. Do carbon frames melt in the rain? I appreciate that those conditions are dangerous, but that display was a sign of disrespect to the fans, the organizers, and the sport.

Finishing on a more positive note: the final stage was a terrific race at the front of the pack and a super performance from Downing (among others).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Kerbdog said:
I saw part of the stage Saturday & was going to head to Patricks Hill on Sunday to see the stage end. I went to a night out on Saturday which was almost 5 hours away & i had planned on getting up around 7 AM so i could get back to the stage finish, (I currently reside in Cork). Anyway i didnt wake up till 11 am & i was well hungover so that was out the window. All i can say is that i was glad i didnt get there in the end. I would loved to have seen Armstrong & the rest struggling on Patricks Hill but then I found out that him & all of Astana, Cavendish & a host of others didnt bother to attempt it. To me that was a disgusting display of "Ah screw this im going for a shower" attitude. What about all the people who travelled from afar & stood in the rain for hours waiting to see them? I just found it very disrespectful to all the fans & also to other riders who grimaced & stuck to their guns. And please dont give me any of this "Ah there was nothing to cycle for , they werent going to win etc etc". He cycled all the way to Cork & then at the bottom of the Hill decided that it wasnt good enough for him. Back trouble my ****. The same for Cavendish, didnt want any of it cos he knew he would suffer. Yes I know Cavendish is a great sprinter but thats really it isnt it? They went seriously down in my opinion of them yesterday. If this was Armstrongs final race of the season then he could have well finished it. I know the weather was atrocious but if we all told our Bosses were not coming into work cos its raining hard outside we wouldnt be long being told where to stay.

Great points...it is very disrespectful to the fans, but also the race organization. This race was shortened already this year..high profile riders dropping out on the last stage...can't be good when looking for sponsorship money!! Pathetic.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, at least certain riders abandoning meant that the coverage of the racing was mercifully Armstrong free ;)

The manner of Downing's win was also an object lesson in winning with panache - we could with more riders on PT teams prepared to ride like that instead of the percentage obsessed pros we currently have. Chapeau - shame he can't seem to get a team and won't be at the Worlds.

But a 3 day 'Tour'? Doesn't quite work, does it?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully it will be back to 5 days next year. To think i intended to drive almost 5 hours, hungover & standing in pouring rain for maybe 2 or 3 more only to find out that the Marquee riders were already in massage. Im so glad i stayed put on the floor i slept on.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Interesting final stage to be sure- I, like most I'd imagine, was a Downing fan all day- glad to see a lesser known rider endure all those attacks and overcome ProTour rivals. Very nice ride for him today.

I think we all know that Lance was there for drawing power, not to win, and that Cav was there to win 1 or 2 of the first 2 stages. They both accomplished what they were there for. I actually thought it a shame that organizers provide such a convenient turnoff at the bottom of the hill. Voluntary abandonment should suffer the shame of waiting for a neutral broom wagon! While I know LA and Cav will take the biggest jabs for this, over half the field did the same thing. Perhaps the hill is a bit too gimmicky? Not sure if they have quite this many DNFs most years or if the weather simply exacerbated an existing flaw in the race. I do think a 3 day "tour" is a bit...lacking, though I can appreciate the sponsorship difficulties they had making more days impossible.

The Vs. coverage in the US was painfully loaded with commercials. Bad enough watching race days compressed to a 60 minute program, but when 25 minutes of that is commercials....ugh. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, at least we got something. Too often we can't get anything on TV.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Well done to Russell Downing for his win in the Tour of Ireland As for Armstrong and Cavendish, I am truly digusted by their display. Fans wait for hours in the pouring rain to see them and they can't be arsed riding up a steep climb because they are down on the GC and it was raining hard. Boo Hoo! Overpaid prima donnas both of them!!!:mad:

I was one of the suckers who got absolutely drowned on St.Patricks Hill yesterday. The weather was so horrible yet after the race finished it turned into a beautiful evening. People were laughing at how heavy the rain was, typical Ireland I guess. No one mentioned this, but the finishing circuit was cut by a lap. We only found out as the riders were about to start St.Patricks for the second time. Despite being soaked to the skin, I was disappointed.

The race was well split up even first time around. The Rwandan guy was dead last, well behind but got a bigger cheer up St.patricks Hill than anybody else which was cool but he must have dropped out then. There were not many guys left even first time around. Mostly guys from the smaller teams who probably were enjoying the atmosphere on the hill.

They were giving out Lance Livestrong posters with the slogan 'Hope has returned' I almost threw up, but it was then ironic when Lance didnt even make it around the Cork circuit once. Lance might have dropped in many peoples opinions now. He has been moaning since day 1 about how bad Irish roads are, which is true but then to drop out when still in contention, come on. He even said on Saturday evening that many might drop out on Sunday if weather was bad, I didnt care but there were a lot of people there to see him up St.Patricks Hill. Even my non-cycling friend said there was a lot more promotion of the race this year. I just hope he wasnt the reason the race was cut to 3 days.

Dissappointed Philip Deignan didnt do better but he said he was having a bad day and didnt want to take any risks before the Vuelta. Congrats to Russell Downing on a great performance. When I saw all the Saxo Bank guys in the break, I thought they had it in the bag but to withstand all the attacks and actually get away was very impressive. Deserves a ride with Sky I think.

Overall, last year was much better, more circuits of St.Patricks hill, 5 days long, better weather and I wasnt soaked to the skin.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I was looking forward to you posting to see what you thought and what the mood was like on St. Patricks Hill.

So, Niyonshuti managed a lap? That wasnt mentioned on the Versus coverage - it just said he had abondoned too.
So he got further in the race than - well shall we say a lot of established Pro's.

I do feel some sympathy for the riders who packed - the conditions were atrocious and the finishing circuit looked quite dangerous in certain places- but I think for the established 'stars' who were claiming a lot of the start money they should have done at least one ascent of the Hill.

So, pmcg76 - did you manage to pull off the same result that you did in Cork last year? ;)

Dr. Maserati said:
I was looking forward to you posting to see what you thought and what the mood was like on St. Patricks Hill.

So, Niyonshuti managed a lap? That wasnt mentioned on the Versus coverage - it just said he had abondoned too.
So he got further in the race than - well shall we say a lot of established Pro's.

I do feel some sympathy for the riders who packed - the conditions were atrocious and the finishing circuit looked quite dangerous in certain places- but I think for the established 'stars' who were claiming a lot of the start money they should have done at least one ascent of the Hill.

So, pmcg76 - did you manage to pull off the same result that you did in Cork last year? ;)

LOL, 'No comment'

Atmosphere was good despite the conditions but there was definite disappointment when Lance and indeed many others didnt make the circuit. As I said before, it was nowhere near as good as last year.

Fortunately for me, I am heading to Granada, Spain in a few weeks, hopefully the weather will be better there.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't really see the problem with people dropping out, I fully expected it, only 57 finished last year, 45 this year. Spectators are there to see a race, not a procession, if people have no further interest in the race, why should they continue?

I wasnt surprised when lots of guys dropped out but a lot of people waited for hours on St.Patricks Hill in pouring rain to catch a glimspe of the star names. Even if they had made just one ascent of the Hill, it would have been ok.

There was an American guy across the road from me, it was obvious he was there to see Lance in the flesh but once he realised he wasnt around, he left which I cannot blame him for as he was soaked like the rest of us. So he waited and got soaked for no reason.

Cav didnt complete the circuit even once last year either which I thought was poor form then as he was the 'star' name. I dont know what the situation on the road was at the beginning of the circuit but Lance was still in contention at the start of the day so to drop out was bad.

To give an example, Philip Deignan siad he knew he was on a bad day and didnt want to take any unnecessary risks before the Vuelta but he still completed the race. Surely, it would have easier for him to have dropped out but he probably realised he doesnt get to compete in front of an Irish crowd very often and that there were people who had probably travelled all the way from his home in Donegal(6-7hour drive from Cork) to see him compete. I know I seen a few Donegal flags and his name scribbled a few places so he showed a level of professionalism to finish.

I guess that is what we want to see from the likes of Lance & Cav, even once up St.Patricks Hill would have been great. Lance surely knew that a lot of people had turned out to see him. Hell there was even a guy from Joker/Bianchi who had dropped out and cycled up the hill in trackie bottoms. Not forgetting the male spectator in bikini top & thong who ran up the hill. Got a great response.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Idiotwind said:
I don't really see the problem with people dropping out, I fully expected it, only 57 finished last year, 45 this year. Spectators are there to see a race, not a procession, if people have no further interest in the race, why should they continue?

Do you suppose the bigger names returned any of their appearance fees? I agree with many of the above: completing at least one circuit of Cork would have been the classy way to drop out (still, though...). And all the more praise for Philip Deignan, who has more work later this week, felt like it was going to be a bad day, didn't want to risk injury, but still put in an honest day's work for Irish fans.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I've been around cycling a long time now, and having rode up Patrick's Hill in a race, i reckon Armstrong/Cavendish just don't want to be shown up by "Lesser Pros"(sorry lower paid), next year the organisers should try make it a 5 day event again and have St Patrick's Hill on the finishing circuit on the second day so the fans can support the real pros on the final 3 days. Hats off to Downing,Pinotti,and Saxo for their efforts

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
To me i am kind of dumbfounded, i would think it is an honour to ride up St Patricks I mean that is a classic climb that many great Pros have raced.
How many Pros climb off before the Kwaremont? same thing in my eyes, respect the race. And a little rain? I had no idea it ever rains in Ireland or the UK:eek: Isnt that kind of the weather you would prepare for???
I remember being at a stage finish of the tour of Britain, it was along the Promenade in Blackpool it was raining of course i was about the only AMerican and i was fully expecting to see Boardman leading the group. Instead it was Hincapie taking the stage. Of course i was excited but i couldnt figure out what happened to Boardman until another guy next to me said something like "he hit some sheep in the hills" and i thought right hazards of the course. Britain, rain, sheep. Ireland steep hill, rough road, rain.
Isnt that what Professionals get paid for, to do their job?
Russell did his job, the Norwegian, Dorian Grey sorry, Malcolm Elliot they all showed up for work and did their job

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Dont get me wrong i like Armstrong but im not letting this just go away. He should have had the decency to finish the race (others too im sure), there wasnt long left either. St.Patricks Hill is no gimmick, its a quality climb that could decide a race either way for a number of cyclists. Astana had a good team with them & made an effort to win the race there if they all didnt get off their bikes. This reminds me of the American Football coach Herm Edwards speech "You play to win the game, Hellooooooooo ?????? ".
I couldnt care less about Cavendish as i said before he is a major quitter & he will be finished 5 laps before the end of this years World Championships too as he concentrates on the Tour of Lombardy or something. He is wrapped in cotton wool & im sick to the back teeth of him going on about "Mah team mates, & again mah team rode really strong for me etc etc etc". At 24 he is almost treated like a child prodigy who hasnt been weaned of his Mothers breast milk yet. Mark have the decency to finish a race you enter like all the others who hobble home 20 minutes down on some of the stages you win.
I guess this all boils down to Sportsmanship, morals & ethics folks. As history has shown they wont be appearing in this sport anytime too soon.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Last year people on St.Patrick's were a lot and we passed there 4 times.
this year it looked even more crowded and it's a pity we did it only 2 times, but as we entered the circuit the weather was really bad and could have been really dangerous. The last time I rode on the climb I was climbing in the front and there were a wall of people opening as the riders were coming close. Impressive. One of the most exciting circuit. hope those people enjoyed their day even if the race was cut and despite they have been waiting under the rain.
thanks to all

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
marcopinotti said:
Last year people on St.Patrick's were a lot and we passed there 4 times.
this year it looked even more crowded and it's a pity we did it only 2 times, but as we entered the circuit the weather was really bad and could have been really dangerous. The last time I rode on the climb I was climbing in the front and there were a wall of people opening as the riders were coming close. Impressive. One of the most exciting circuit. hope those people enjoyed their day even if the race was cut and despite they have been waiting under the rain.
thanks to all

Well done on your efforts in Ireland - at least you made a great effort to try and win the race again.

The last time we met was in Mugello and you were in the Maglia Rosa- I am going back to the Giro again next year and i hope you will be in the pink again.