• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav and Lance down for Tour of Ireland

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well raced again this year Marco - I was one of the wall last year and while was only able to get to Waterford this year, I think I speak for all who were at the races when I say that we are very pleased that you showed our race such respect both this year and last year, attacking again and again to try to win it a second time. I hope we get to see you in contention once more at a longer version of it again next year:)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Ciao Marco !! Well done on a great race again this year. Hopefully we will see you in Ireland again next year. Oh & thanks for having the decency to finish the race & respect all involved.
Grazie Marco.

Lance brought traffic to a standstill today when he announced on twitter that he was going for a ride in Dublin.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090825/tuk-armstrong-brings-city-to-standstill-e1cd776.html

Would this be the same Lance who couldnt be bothered to ride St.Patricks Hill once on Sunday when thousands got soaked in the rain hoping to see him face a real challenge against fellow professionals.

If this latest incident does not illustrate Lance is all about PR, I dont know what will.

Simply unbelievable.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Lance brought traffic to a standstill today when he announced on twitter that he was going for a ride in Dublin.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090825/tuk-armstrong-brings-city-to-standstill-e1cd776.html

Would this be the same Lance who couldnt be bothered to ride St.Patricks Hill once on Sunday when thousands got soaked in the rain hoping to see him face a real challenge against fellow professionals.

If this latest incident does not illustrate Lance is all about PR, I dont know what will.

Simply unbelievable.

Gosh! I'm glad his back is feeling better... :rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
He missed a real opportunity on sunday though. The residents of St Patrick's Hill in Cork are famous for their lack of awareness of cancer. One trip up there could have made all the difference!;)

Sorry for bringing this back but just wanted to comment on this, it has been announced the Tour of Ireland will be a 5 day race again next year but no new additional sponsors have been named. The race had previously been 5 days but was reduced to 3 this year even though no sponsors had backed out, the organisers claimed it was due to economic difficulties, if so how can they be so sure it will be 5 days again next year as the Irish economy is not recovering that quickly.

A certain big name rider who is said to charge an appearence fee took part this year, the only road race he participated in post Tour. Unfortunately the more I look at this situation, the more obvious the answer becomes. Very sad.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting. I wonder did he give back some of his fee for not appearing in the money shot on Patricks Hill? Hmmmmmmm...............
Anyway I hope theres an individual time trial midway next year in it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Sorry for bringing this back but just wanted to comment on this, it has been announced the Tour of Ireland will be a 5 day race again next year but no new additional sponsors have been named. The race had previously been 5 days but was reduced to 3 this year even though no sponsors had backed out, the organisers claimed it was due to economic difficulties, if so how can they be so sure it will be 5 days again next year as the Irish economy is not recovering that quickly.

A certain big name rider who is said to charge an appearence fee took part this year, the only road race he participated in post Tour. Unfortunately the more I look at this situation, the more obvious the answer becomes. Very sad.

I made the original suggestion that the race had gone from a 5 day to a 3 day because of the participation of LA – however at the time it was just an educated guess.
However since then I have done some digging and it appears to confirm my view - but I will publish it here so you can make up your own minds.

1st May 2007:
Tour of Ireland (ToI) launched - 16 teams will participate, full route details given. Promoted by Events Groupin conjuction with Shadetree Sports.

The race is sponsored by Failte Ireland who confirm "the backing is a multi-year deal, making it likely that the race will develop and grow as time passes. Funding is made available through Failte Irelands ‘Sports Tourism Initiative’.

2nd June 2008:
Darach McQuaid (yes- Pat's brother) of Shadetree Sports said; “We and our title sponsor Fáilte Ireland are extremely pleased to welcome An Post to a three year Partner Sponsorship with the Tour of Ireland.

June 26th 2008:
Launch of ToI with full routes - 16 team to participate.
"A number of additional sponsors have also been announced. An Post has expanded its involvement to become Official Partner of the race and repeat their sponsorship of the An Post Green Sprinters Jersey.

Official vehicles supplied by Fiat Automotive Ireland.
Official Timing will be provided by Festina Watches.
Official Trophies are being created by Waterford Crystal.
De Marchi Sport of Italy supply all of the race leaders jerseys.
Thule Racks are supplied for all team vehicles.
Vittel is the Official Water used throughout the race"

December 5th 2008.
Darach McQuaid Project Director of the Tour of Ireland said that he had been talking to Lance and his colleagues at the Lance Armstrong Foundation, who run all of his Livestrong initiatives, regarding his possible participation in the 2009 Tour of Ireland.

23rd February 2009:
LIVESTRONG™ Global Cancer Summit to be held in Dublin, Ireland in August.

24th February 2009:
LA’s start confirmed by Darach McQuaid who was at The Tour of California and say’s “We have a unique race course designed with him in mind and we will be announcing the race route in the coming weeks”.

8th July 2008:
Launch of ToI 2009: It is revealed as a 3 day event due to the “very tough economic climate”.
"We have had to be realistic with the race budget in view of the recession” said Alan Ruston.
However at the end of the article it says “it is planned that it will return to a five-day contest next year”.

18th July 2009– finally some stage detail are announced naming the start and finishing towns. “We will be issuing more details of the route next week”

27th September 2009: Confirmation of the races slot for 2010: It is intended that the event now entering its fourth year would revert to a five day.

Dr. Maserati said:
I made the original suggestion that the race had gone from a 5 day to a 3 day because of the participation of LA – however at the time it was just an educated guess.
However since then I have done some digging and it appears to confirm my view - but I will publish it here so you can make up your own minds.

1st May 2007:
Tour of Ireland (ToI) launched - 16 teams will participate, full route details given. Promoted by Events Groupin conjuction with Shadetree Sports.

The race is sponsored by Failte Ireland who confirm "the backing is a multi-year deal, making it likely that the race will develop and grow as time passes. Funding is made available through Failte Irelands ‘Sports Tourism Initiative’.

2nd June 2008:
Darach McQuaid (yes- Pat's brother) of Shadetree Sports said; “We and our title sponsor Fáilte Ireland are extremely pleased to welcome An Post to a three year Partner Sponsorship with the Tour of Ireland.

June 26th 2008:
Launch of ToI with full routes - 16 team to participate.
"A number of additional sponsors have also been announced. An Post has expanded its involvement to become Official Partner of the race and repeat their sponsorship of the An Post Green Sprinters Jersey.

Official vehicles supplied by Fiat Automotive Ireland.
Official Timing will be provided by Festina Watches.
Official Trophies are being created by Waterford Crystal.
De Marchi Sport of Italy supply all of the race leaders jerseys.
Thule Racks are supplied for all team vehicles.
Vittel is the Official Water used throughout the race"

December 5th 2008.
Darach McQuaid Project Director of the Tour of Ireland said that he had been talking to Lance and his colleagues at the Lance Armstrong Foundation, who run all of his Livestrong initiatives, regarding his possible participation in the 2009 Tour of Ireland.

23rd February 2009:
LIVESTRONG™ Global Cancer Summit to be held in Dublin, Ireland in August.

24th February 2009:
LA’s start confirmed by Darach McQuaid who was at The Tour of California and say’s “We have a unique race course designed with him in mind and we will be announcing the race route in the coming weeks”.

8th July 2008:
Launch of ToI 2009: It is revealed as a 3 day event due to the “very tough economic climate”.
"We have had to be realistic with the race budget in view of the recession” said Alan Ruston.
However at the end of the article it says “it is planned that it will return to a five-day contest next year”.

18th July 2009– finally some stage detail are announced naming the start and finishing towns. “We will be issuing more details of the route next week”

27th September 2009: Confirmation of the races slot for 2010: It is intended that the event now entering its fourth year would revert to a five day.

Thanks for the time-line and info. When you first floated the idea, I thought it was a bit out there, but it grew on me and at this stage, its just too obvious. Lance does so much for the sport.

It would be similar to organising a soccer tournament in the US with say 8 teams every year, 4 MLS, 2 Mexican and 2 mid ranking Premier teams, e.g West Ham, Villa, then having Man Utd show up one year and the tournament is reduced to 4 teams due to economic reasons but back to 8 the following year without Man U. It would not take people long to figure out what was happening.

I like this story that the race could be heading up North next year, could they possibly squeeze in a stage in the beautiful home county of the only current Irish pro to have a win in a major GT. They proved this year they dont need to include Dublin. First stage in NI, a day in Donegal, Sligo-Galway, Limerick-Kerry, Kerry-Cork. Might need to start going to Sunday mass again for this to happen.

TRENDING THREADS