• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cav is...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
amp300 said:
Thanks for the vid, he literally came to a stop (cringe) meters from the finish. there has got to be no skin left on his right shoulder/back.

He looks relatively unscathed, just a little road rash on the elbow

CAV-CRASH.jpg

His teeth look like they're still straight too!

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Who will Cav blame for this? Wonder if he has the brains to blame this on the CERN hadron collider possibly starting up when he is just about to start his sprint.

It would be a stretch sure, then again I'd be amazed if he even knew the hadron collider even existed.

blackcat said:
Frodo just took the mantle from Graeme Brown, and that takes some doing.

Vai Pettachi!!!!

But seriously certain practices are just UNACCEPTABLE, the guy should have his pro tour racing license revoked. Simple rule to follow in a sprint, sudden and rash change of trajectory/line is stricktly forbotten. And if he weren't in all that pain, I'd have given him a good a$$ woopin for being such an f-in dekhead.

Necessary Evil said:
There is no need to be abusive. These things some times happen in racing. The main thing is to hope that he and others are not badly hurt.

He was pulling in front so I don't know why some are saying he did it deliberately.

yep..... he was in front of Haussler while I agree he came off his line but being a sprinter myself I see what he was trying to do.

Give him a slight nudge to break his rythmn and easily win the sprint
it just didn't quite work out that way

for the record I still think Cav is a douchebag... hope that makes you happy

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He had his head down, he was sprinting for the line, he didn't see Haussler, it was an accident.

But don't let the facts get in the way of the hate party.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Thank God HH was wearing a helmet. Watch the slow-mo at the end of that video. Tomorrow would have been a ceremonial stage if not.

A

Anonymous

looking at it again, looks like cav and hausller where both about to box in (cioleck?) big time.. cav is to blame for the final collision, but if it hadnt been him hausler would have taken out the rider behind.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hold your line!!

Yep, Cav can't hold his line. From 100 out he takes up a whole car lane.

30 sec. penalty???? DQ is what he needs. How many cyclists don't have a season left??

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
i hope he does get one minor broken bone!

Not because im vindictive and nasty but i think it will take him down a peg or two missing the tdf to become a nicer more modest guy in the long term as well as teaching him not to repeat this stupid event.!
as it stands hes a first class ***!

I don't know, I watched it several times, looked like regular bunch sprinting to me (the reason I was always the guy who went from about 7-8 hundred meters out). Cav and Haussler went around Ciolek on opposite sides then both moved together Cav moved a little farther but it looked like neither of them expected the other to be there. At the last instant Haussler instinctively lowered his shoulder and Cavendish went right down. That suggests to me that he was not expecting any contact. Looked like they just both had the same idea of using Ciolek to brush anyone else off their back wheel at the same unfortunate moment.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Who will Cav blame for this? Wonder if he has the brains to blame this on the CERN hadron collider possibly starting up when he is just about to start his sprint.

It would be a stretch sure, then again I'd be amazed if he even knew the hadron collider even existed.

Use proper terms ,It Is "The large Hardon GPenius Collider", only race worth winning.

Jamsque said:
He had his head down, he was sprinting for the line, he didn't see Haussler, it was an accident.

But don't let the facts get in the way of the hate party.

Nonsense. He's a pro, not racing for the pen and pencil set at your local crit.

If he didn't realize he was cutting across the road, as you claim, then he doesn't deserve to have his job. You're not allowed to have "accidents" like that in a field sprint. In any case don't believe for one second that his wasn't a calculated move to "slam the door" in his opponent's face. It's a tactic some have tried to get away with in the past. It's the most slimmy and vile of tactics of all though.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Nonsense. He's a pro, not racing for the pen and pencil set at your local crit.

If he didn't realize he was cutting across the road, as you claim, then he doesn't deserve to have his job. You're not allowed to have "accidents" like that in a field sprint. In any case don't believe for one second that his wasn't a calculated move to "slam the door" in his opponent's face. It's a tactic some have tried to get away with in the past. It's the most slimmy and vile of tactics of all though.

Whatever, dude. Both Cav and Haussler saw that Ciolek was going backwards and moved across to be in front of him, and neither of them saw the other, and they rode in to each other. There was no malicious intent on the part of either of them, and no great incompetence either. It was an accident. Sprinting is dangerous. It happens.