• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish is the New armstrong

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
The guy makes the sprints so boring, it's like you know he's gonna win and that's not good for the tour it was much better two years ago, when it was a copetition between boonen, mcewen and hushovd now the only thing keeping them exciting is the splits in the pack. Plus he looks like he has the same attitude as lance.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
The guy makes the sprints so boring, it's like you know he's gonna win and that's not good for the tour it was much better two years ago, when it was a copetition between boonen, mcewen and hushovd now the only thing keeping them exciting is the splits in the pack. Plus he looks like he has the same attitude as lance.

I kinda like the guy. He's arrogant as hell and talks a ton but backs it all up on the road.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:

why shouldn't he feel like the old Armstrong? He is head and shoulders above the rest. I never experienced it, but I am sure it would be all too human to feel cocky if nobody can beat you at your own game.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
That's not the point, the point is that he makes the sprints boring.

I for one don't find it boring watching greatness. In fact, I quite enjoy watching the likes of Tiger Woods taking the lead into the 4th round of a major golf tournament, knowing that there is a 99% chance he'll win.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
He is no different than many others (Darrigade, Cippolini, Zabel etc) in their prime. He is really good this year, however. Maybe Boonen can get near the front and challenge him soon!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Cycling is supposed to be an unpredictable sport, so there is a difference between greatness and predictability, the tour got so boring during the armstrong years, because you knew he was gonna win and it is the same thing with cav, how many sprints as he lost 2 maybe 3 all year that's unheard of, all of those great sprinters were great, but you knew if you give it your all you have a chance of winning, with cav it's like you have no chance if he is on form.

franciep10 said:
Cycling is supposed to be an unpredictable sport, so there is a difference between greatness and predictability, the tour got so boring during the armstrong years, because you knew he was gonna win and it is the same thing with cav, how many sprints as he lost 2 maybe 3 all year that's unheard of, all of those great sprinters were great, but you knew if you give it your all you have a chance of winning, with cav it's like you have no chance if he is on form.
Did bike racing suck this bad when everyone "knew" Merckx was going to win?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ten Percent Grade said:
I will never understand why some on this board punish certain riders for being great.

Because the're envious lowlife losers, who have nothing better to do than hate someone else! simple as that;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think it is exciting to see what he does every stage. The guy has incredible speed and to see him accelerate time and time again is really something to appreciate, especially with the level of competition he has.

One of these stages Thor or Farrar, maybe Boonen will beat him. There is also the question on whether he will make it through the mountains to the final stage.

This Tour has been exceptionally exciting. The Columbia split on the first "sprinters" stage and Voekler getting away today on Stage 5. This Tour has offered a lot of entertainment.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
Because the're envious lowlife losers, who have nothing better to do than hate someone else! simple as that;)

ffs

do you think that's what he's on about? get a grip

he only wants to see some variation and not a given winner in every sprnit.
cavendish deserves it when he wins, that's not his point.

A

Anonymous

Ten Percent Grade said:
I will never understand why some on this board punish certain riders for being great.

Well, atleast 'they' aren't using the dreaded "d_ _ _ _" word yet. But I hear ya, success isn't tolerated anymore.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish is a great sprinter...but a ***..enough said. And who the heck creates the name CircleJerkCaptain? Dude...you got a problem!!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
jotabravo said:
I think it is exciting to see what he does every stage. The guy has incredible speed and to see him accelerate time and time again is really something to appreciate, especially with the level of competition he has.

One of these stages Thor or Farrar, maybe Boonen will beat him. There is also the question on whether he will make it through the mountains to the final stage.

This Tour has been exceptionally exciting. The Columbia split on the first "sprinters" stage and Voekler getting away today on Stage 5. This Tour has offered a lot of entertainment.

+1. Good assessment.

CircleJerkCaptain said:
Well, atleast 'they' aren't using the dreaded "d_ _ _ _" word yet. But I hear ya, success isn't tolerated anymore.

I'm not sure that it success that is not tolerated, just how some go about achieving their success. Personally, I like Cav's style and determination. But I also like other dominant sports people such as Tiger Woods and Roger Federer, and I would have loved to have seen Eddie race. However, others prefer to see people win with less brashness and more contriteness. The relatively quite achievers, like Boonen as one example, are often more appreciated because they do the job without bragging about it beforehand or afterwards.

A

Anonymous

elapid said:
The relatively quite achievers, like Boonen as one example, are often more appreciated because they do the job without bragging about it beforehand or afterwards.

Meh, it's kind of funny to watch the young punk both during the sprint and afterwards in the comments. You have to admit, it's entertaining. I find myself chuckling.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
CircleJerkCaptain said:
Meh, it's kind of funny to watch the young punk both during the sprint and afterwards in the comments. You have to admit, it's entertaining. I find myself chuckling.

Yep, I like the Manx man. Punk is a good word for him. But hell, he is 23 years old, the best sprinter in the world, and backed by an excellent team. I would be cocky too.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Look that's not my point, I just want him to have some serious competition, that's all I want him to have a rival that can beat him so it's exciting, elapid talked about federer, isn't it so much better to see him play against nadal when you know both can win, that's my point cav needs a serious rival, so the sprints can be exciting

franciep10 said:
Look that's not my point, I just want him to have some serious competition, that's all I want him to have a rival that can beat him so it's exciting, elapid talked about federer, isn't it so much better to see him play against nadal when you know both can win, that's my point cav needs a serious rival, so the sprints can be exciting
Calling him an "Armstrong" is like invoking Hitler, around here.
There should be a cycling version of Godwins law. What would we call it?

franciep10 said:

The response to cavendish's dominance has already begun. The other sprinter's teams seem to feel they have so little chance of winning sprints they are no longer willing to work to bring back breaks or at least a worn out columbia train improves their chances. Col HTC has already stated their displeasure with other teams publicly. I think they are pretty hot (angry) about these developments.

if this pattern continues i think we'll see more interesting sprints as well as a few more breaks surviving.

lean said:
The response to cavendish's dominance has already begun. The other sprinter's teams seem to feel they have so little chance of winning sprints they are no longer willing to work to bring back breaks or at least a worn out columbia train improves their chances. Col HTC has already stated their displeasure with other teams publicly. I think they are pretty hot (angry) about these developments.

if this pattern continues i think we'll see more interesting sprints as well as a few more breaks surviving.

Might they be more willing to do their share of the work if Cavendish wasn't constantly talking smack...and kicking their a$$es? Columbia is a very well oiled machine with an unmatched weapon at its disposal. They are a sprinter team version of US Postal/Discovery with Armstrong. They have the strongest rider and a talented team drilled to perform at their best for him when the time comes. Not assisting in reeling a break in or minimally doing so
is just another tactic. Columbia may not like it but hey Armstrong didn't always like that Pantani and Mayo liked to attack out of the blue, just for the sake of it, with Armstrong once referring to Pantani as a little "sh!t starter". I guess it didn't fit into his game plan, disrupting his rhythm maybe. Columbia has to take the good of their success with the bad, that being their opponents tactics to nullify their dominance.

Angliru said:
Might they be more willing to do their share of the work if Cavendish wasn't constantly talking smack...and kicking their a$$es? Columbia is a very well oiled machine with an unmatched weapon at its disposal. They are a sprinter team version of US Postal/Discovery with Armstrong. They have the strongest rider and a talented team drilled to perform at their best for him when the time comes. Not assisting in reeling a break in or minimally doing so
is just another tactic.

Yes, Cavendish needs to find a balance between confidence and respect. I think he does an OK job of that at 23. I said OK, not great. The worst thing is to instigate with Garmin like they've done thru the giro and tour TTT's when they need Garmin's help who have an interest setting up Farrar. They're better as allies.

Col/HTC's response is a simple one, sit-up and be willing to throw away a stage. All it takes to re-establish cooperation. Seemed to be more teams at the front today tho, saw Saxo and even Astana.

TRENDING THREADS