• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish stronger on the road than in testing says Axel Merckx...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
And don't forget that Larwood was basically trying to kill Bradman during bodyline and he still "only" averaged high 50's!

It seems that the very greatest sports stars over the years just have a unique ability to "do things in their own time" despite not having the physical characteristics of their peers. Gretzky was one, Bradman another. To hear Cavendish say it makes me think he may be the same.

I wonder if guys like Federer, Pele, Jordan, Slater etc have the same experience?

I liked Michael Slater but I wouldn't put him up there with the all time greats!

42x16ss said:
That is the coolest thing (IMO) about sports like Cricket and Tennis that have such a high skill factor. No PED on earth gives somebody the hand-eye coordination of Bradman, Jordan, Federer or Gretzky or the technique (the most important thing for a quick bowler) of Michael Holding or Ray Lindwall.

There are several drugs that would benefit people here, particularly in stressful situations. They are called beta-blockers.

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Obvious bias, bodyline bowling was in line with the rules at the time as well.

Bodyline was in line with the rules of the time, but there is much evidence that Jardine hated Australians. Jardine cynically used bodyline against non recognised batsmen. Bodyline had a cumilative effect. Often a batsman would do well enough in one innings only to crumble in the next.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
It's called "flow". If you do a search on it it will go into more detail. Reminiscent of The Matrix. I think it may also have something to do with adrenaline release.

ETA: hat tip to Andy1234.

Funny that as I'm really not that great in bunch sprints :D

And I don't think it has much to do with practice as I had it the first time I rode a bunch sprint. I still have it every time in a competition sprint.

So there we have it! I have a hidden talent... just not the legs to make it into gold :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
awful from Cyclingtips!
Sticking their heads up Axel's behind.
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/merckx-university-axels-class-of-2016/
Can anybody tell me who runs Cyclingtips?
I know Shane Stokes is one of their writers, and I like most of what he does.

were you being sarcastic? do you know?

Wade, a Canuck ex-pat who lives in Australia, may live in Melbourne now, lived in Geelong p'raps for a while around 2010. He is mates with the Skil Shimano Dutch rider who lives in Australia in the off-season cos he has an Australian de-facto. I am sure he was one of the key contributors to The Secret Professional before I gave away the secret element of The Secret Professional

Re:

sniper said:
awful from Cyclingtips!
Sticking their heads up Axel's behind.
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/merckx-university-axels-class-of-2016/
Can anybody tell me who runs Cyclingtips?
I know Shane Stokes is one of their writers, and I like most of what he does.
Wade Wallace, an ex-pat Canadian. He was quite a decent rider in his time and is friendly with a lot of Melbourne based pros like Koen de Kort, Baden Cooke, Simon Gerrans and Greg Henderson. Because of this Cyclingtips is very cautious on the doping front, as he doesn't want to burn bridges. They have done some good stuff in the past though, like the pieces on Charlie Walsh and the tech articles and reviews are more thorough than some other sites *cough* BikeRadar *cough* although they're working with James Huang now I think :(

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Wade Wallace, an ex-pat Canadian. He was quite a decent rider in his time and is friendly with a lot of Melbourne based pros like Koen de Kort, Baden Cooke, Simon Gerrans and Greg Henderson. Because of this Cyclingtips is very cautious on the doping front, as he doesn't want to burn bridges. They have done some good stuff in the past though, like the pieces on Charlie Walsh and the tech articles and reviews are more thorough than some other sites *cough* BikeRadar *cough* although they're working with James Huang now I think :(

luv James Huang, because I because the phonetic transliteration of James Huang the Vietnamese original sounds just like James Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI_u3ZHJ9ms

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
cheers guys.
yeah, i realize they can't go all the way on doping.
and agreed, the pieces on Walsh were good.

Drifting off topic, but I sometimes wonder what a place like cyclingtips gets their revenues from and whether it suffices for people like Stokes to pay the rent. I'm a Stokes fan. He's got a bit of an indie rock factor. People like him is where my money would go if I had any.

Re:

sniper said:
cheers guys.
yeah, i realize they can't go all the way on doping.
and agreed, the pieces on Walsh were good.

Drifting off topic, but I sometimes wonder what a place like cyclingtips gets their revenues from and whether it suffices for people like Stokes to pay the rent. I'm a Stokes fan. He's got a bit of an indie rock factor. People like him is where my money would go if I had any.
Advertising revenue and solid journalism

It will get lost in the Contador thread - so much name calling going on there - I will move my question here

"........Blast, I was so distracted by the thought of buying a St David shirt I nearly forgot my second point.

Did Frodo ride with a motor to get over the Cipressa and the Poggio ? After all, I would rate Spartacus as probably the most popular cyclist amongst the chamois sniffers in 2010, with Frodo a very close second.

Oh and if Femke has one hell of a dodgy family stealing parakeets with her brother facing a maximum possible Jail term of 5 years, how about someone whose brother did get six years. Compare and contrast parakeets v being parts of a drugs ring selling stuff to teenagers.
http://road.cc/content/news/16592-mark-cavendishs-brother-gets-six-years-after-police-drugs-bust

Got to laugh at the comment in that last story

"Just being related in name doesn't mean a thing though and it won't harm his reputation, MC has goals and too much talent. " Tell that to Femke's lawyer I am sure he can use that in her defence !

Google translate BS to English worked wonders for me again " I luuurrrve you Mark , I really luurrrveee you, I go to bed dreaming of you.......please let it not be true that you are a crook like your brother...........please ! ........Please say it is not so......."

Were motors around in 2009 for Cav to get over those climbs ?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
In the old motorization thread, Scienceiscool placed the availability of batteries small enough to hide in the tube yet able to give a significant boost in wattage around 2009-10-ish, which coincides with Cancellara's alleged use.

Davide Cassani's informant back in 2010 (on the RAI), otoh, said a "silent pro" version of the motorized bike had been available and in use by one or more pro's since 2004:
viewtopic.php?p=226941#p226941

Re:

Freddythefrog said:
It will get lost in the Contador thread - so much name calling going on there - I will move my question here

"........Blast, I was so distracted by the thought of buying a St David shirt I nearly forgot my second point.

Did Frodo ride with a motor to get over the Cipressa and the Poggio ? After all, I would rate Spartacus as probably the most popular cyclist amongst the chamois sniffers in 2010, with Frodo a very close second.

Oh and if Femke has one hell of a dodgy family stealing parakeets with her brother facing a maximum possible Jail term of 5 years, how about someone whose brother did get six years. Compare and contrast parakeets v being parts of a drugs ring selling stuff to teenagers.
http://road.cc/content/news/16592-mark-cavendishs-brother-gets-six-years-after-police-drugs-bust

"Just being related in name doesn't mean a thing though and it won't harm his reputation, MC has goals and too much talent. " Tell that to Femke's lawyer I am sure he can use that in her defence !

Google translate BS to English worked wonders for me again " I luuurrrve you Mark , I really luurrrveee you, I go to bed dreaming of you.......please let it not be true that you are a crook like your brother...........please ! ........Please say it is not so......."

To slightly misquote Mark Cavendish MBE "Umm. Who (is asking) that? Internet forum people?" :)

Re: Re:

oldcrank said:
To slightly misquote Mark Cavendish MBE "Umm. Who (is asking) that? Internet forum people?" :)

Well I know two people who are not asking that question

Zaskar over at http://road.cc/content/news/16592-mark-cavendishs-brother-gets-six-years-after-police-drugs-bust

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/22681164
the people who have won it previously have been true greats of cycling, so it is a fantastic achievement by Mark," said Cookson. ........................." Mark has achieved something fantastic."

Think - joining the likes of the great like Zabel, oh wait, no errr Cipolini , err no wait again .....err well Eddy, no......How about Djoumoladine there is a rider who would never dope.....err......I think might not have doped......err........can I have a bit of time to think about that.

But, sad to say you disappoint, can't you give us another starter, you used that one before. viewtopic.php?p=1862571#p1862571

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
is he an MBE?
yikes, the queen could do some screening first.

par2834435_600.jpg

BJ4zMe-CUAAwjk_.jpg

George+Hincapie+Mark+Cavendish+Amgen+Tour+Ut7X4Cfqcjbl.jpg

lance-armstrong-and-mark-cavendish.jpg

story59498_121024ARMSTRONG24_1_169_480x270.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Freddythefrog said:

ask Tyler Farrar at the Giro when Cav went off the back of the gruppetto, the autobus, but miraculously got back instead of being DQéd for the time cut. His team car at Columbia Highroad obviously towed him back, and he wins the next stage. Then he becomes, is GOAT.

TRENDING THREADS