• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish: Worlds course is not that hard

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In this recent interview with Mark Cavendish, Mark has said that the course is not overly hard as their is plenty of time to recover. He also said "the climbs are nothing without the chicane".

Is Mark dreaming or is this course not that hard? Can the manx missile don the rainbow jersey at the end of October the 3rd?

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
In this recent interview with Mark Cavendish, Mark has said that the course is not overly hard as their is plenty of time to recover. He also said "the climbs are nothing without the chicane".

Is Mark dreaming or is this course not that hard? Can the manx missile don the rainbow jersey at the end of October the 3rd?

i'd like to point out that you claim to actually be right there in melbourne. most of us are on completely different continents and thousands of miles away. maybe you could just head on over to geelong and tell us whether it is hard or not.

that said, i think if cav was riding with htc he'd have a lot better shot at winning a race like this than with the gb nat team, although they are not as soft as some other teams. i think it is too much for them to control a race like this.

btw, shouldn't you be rooting for an aussie?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
i'd like to point out that you claim to actually be right there in melbourne. most of us are on completely different continents and thousands of miles away. maybe you could just head on over to geelong and tell us whether it is hard or not.

that said, i think if cav was riding with htc he'd have a lot better shot at winning a race like this than with the gb nat team, although they are not as soft as some other teams. i think it is too much for them to control a race like this.

btw, shouldn't you be rooting for an aussie?

I drove along the circuit a month a go. It is hard. Cavendish will not be there in the end but you can just see by the profile and that will tell you that Cav will go out the back after the final few laps. The italians also said it was quite hard and they have no main sprinter.

I am rooting for an aussie. I was just putting a question out there.

auscyclefan94 said:

You have the inside info so let's hope not. I couldn't stand the false fawning again, y'know it's not about me, it's the team like, y'know the other 2!!

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Is it really any harder than the Poggio Cipressa combo??

I personally don't think (hope!) that having only a 3 man team will unduly affect Cavs chances provided that other sprinters teams are prepared to control the race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
i might boo cav.

I'll go one step better and sabotage his bike in the morning. He was wearing a St Kilda jumper yesterday. I really dislike him now!:mad: Luckily John Trevorrow is a Collingwood supporter.

Timmy are you taking the train down to Geelong? If so, book a V- Line Ticket.

Andy99, look at the steepness of the climbs and then you will see that they are harder than the cipressa-poggio combo.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Andy99, look at the steepness of the climbs and then you will see that they are harder than the cipressa-poggio combo.

fair do's - I've not seen any details of the climbs - hence the question!:);)

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
It is not at all surprising to me that acf94 is a collingwood supporter. How the fanbase of one football team can be the products of a bizarre genetic experiment in the deleterious effects of inbreeding is one of the worlds great mysteries.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Is it really any harder than the Poggio Cipressa combo??

I personally don't think (hope!) that having only a 3 man team will unduly affect Cavs chances provided that other sprinters teams are prepared to control the race.

generally italy or spain control the race, I can guarantee you they will not control the race in cav's favor. Rest assured, having but two team mates is a big disadvantage.

@acf: I was going to, but opted for accommodation instead, i only booked the other night (got lucky I guess... expensive though). I figure the world champs are a rarity, so I might as well make the most of this situation. And I really can't be bothered with transport everyday (though I'm skipping the time trials.)

auscyclefan94 said:
I drove along the circuit a month a go. It is hard. Cavendish will not be there in the end but you can just see by the profile and that will tell you that Cav will go out the back after the final few laps.

Do you reckon Farrar can hang in there? I've been impressed with his results in race with tough hills in them this year (Flanders, Plouay, Vuelta stage into Toledo)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sneekes said:
Do you reckon Farrar can hang in there? I've been impressed with his results in race with tough hills in them this year (Flanders, Plouay, Vuelta stage into Toledo)

I give him and friere a chance though these climbs are not on cobbles and are super steep. The stage he matched gilbert in the vuelta was impressive but he will have to be at another level to be at the finish

May 2, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I'll go one step better and sabotage his bike in the morning. He was wearing a St Kilda jumper yesterday. I really dislike him now!:mad: Luckily John Trevorrow is a Collingwood supporter.

Timmy are you taking the train down to Geelong? If so, book a V- Line Ticket.

My opinion of Cavendish just skyrocketed!

Having looked at the Robbie McEwen videos and given the importance the team will play in this race it only makes it that more strange that Norway chose to send Alexander Kristoff rather than Kurt Asle Arvesen. They are in enough disadvantge with only three riders that you can't afford to waste a spot on someone who won't bemuch help in the later stages of the race no matter how young or talented they are.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
how many HTC riders riding the worlds? and then ask whether Cav has a team of more than 2. they'll prefer to ride next year on a team with the world champ than not;)

most Italians and Spanish ride for home based teams.

ingsve said:
Having looked at the Robbie McEwen videos and given the importance the team will play in this race it only makes it that more strange that Norway chose to send Alexander Kristoff rather than Kurt Asle Arvesen. They are in enough disadvantge with only three riders that you can't afford to waste a spot on someone who won't bemuch help in the later stages of the race no matter how young or talented they are.
It's quite funny, Steffen Kjærgaard didn't even look at the route before he chose Kristoff. Now, when he has arrived in Australia, he says he's "surprised that the course is so hard". I guess it's too much to ask for that he would look at the route before making the selection...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark Cavendish displaying overconfidence in his own abilities? Never.

The climbs aren't super long, I don't think he'll get shelled the moment the pace rises, but if any team decides to ride really hard for three or four laps I think he'll struggle. We'll have a much better idea of how hard the course really rides after the U23/Women's races.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Timmy are you taking the train down to Geelong? If so book a Vline ticket/QUOTE]

Dont rely on Vline you may not get there its hopeless with another 1 hour hold up tonight and that is a weekday so on 1/2 staff on Sunday just keep fingers crossed.

Go by bike its easyer.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
For my money I feel Cav will be in the final shake up and in with a real chance of winning the raindow jersey. It would make him unbearble for the rest of the year if he did so however!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
What would you expect Cav to say "Oh I think I'll get dropped every lap." If he was smart he might keep his mouth shut and if the other nations were smart they would make damn sure Cav gets dropped b/c if he comes to the finale who can beat him, Farrar maybe, Freire maybe that might be it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Dont rely on Vline you may not get there its hopeless with another 1 hour hold up tonight and that is a weekday so on 1/2 staff on Sunday just keep fingers crossed.

Go by bike its easyer.

They are running trains every 10 minutes to the worlds for a long period of time so I think I will be right.

TRENDING THREADS