• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish: Worlds course is not that hard

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hahaha, you crack me up ACF

The Netherlands waiting for a sprint? With what sprinter exactly? :D
They'll probably go with the strategy to attack wherever possible or to have as many men as possible in the breakaways.

Van Vliet didn't even select a sprinter.

Didn't ACF's post include the Netherlands in the group with NO sprinter option and thus his opinion that they will be trying to break the pack up?

Susan Westemeyer said:
YEs, that is what Sporza has. But hs anyone seen the comments in the British press?

Susan

Edit: This relates to a discussion we had in another thread. As a journalist I look for the original source. If Sporza said, "Cavendish told Sporza Xxx", I would accept that. If Sporza reported "Cavendish told The Daily Fishwrapper xxx," I could go look up the Daily Fishwrapper website. But "the newspapers"?

Daily Fishwrapper!! I like that!:D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's a roll to Cavendish himself.

First he says the worlds course is not that tough, and now he has ridden it himself and suddenly it's too tough.

...and foolish me thought his initial opinion of the course was based on his actually checking it out. He made such a big issue about those that had personally checked the course discounting his chances of winning.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Didn't ACF's post include the Netherlands in the group with NO sprinter option and thus his opinion that they will be trying to break the pack up?

Yes, who can really sprint for the netherlands against guys like friere, goss, etc, or if they do not make it, guys like pozzato or gilbert?

I know that there is always the possibility that Cav is trying to set up his opponents by soft-selling his chances, but what if he is telling the truth? What will be Britain's strategy for the race if Cav is already saying that the course doesn't suit him at all? Can he expect his two teammates to try to help him out or will Britain now just think about trying to get into a break and seeing if they get lucky?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think team GB will still be riding for Cav and hoping for a bit of luck, but who knows, maybe Millar will try to get in a move with a few laps to go.

PityTheFool.jpg

He just made a fool out of himself:D:D

how could he ever come up with all that load of sh!t & warn his rivals after checking the last 800 mts and realize afterwards that the remaining 261.9 Km might not suit his abilities at all?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Farrar, anyone??

My pick is Tyler Farrar. I don't know why he seems to be forgotten. But IMO this parcours with these Flemish like climbs has to suit him. He has the advantage of not being talked about at all and having a weak team that won't take any responsability to controll the race. This should give him the opportunity to quietly hang on to the group of the punchers and do nothing but waiting for the sprint.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
My pick is Tyler Farrar. I don't know why he seems to be forgotten. But IMO this parcours with these Flemish like climbs has to suit him. He has the advantage of not being talked about at all and having a weak team that won't take any responsability to controll the race. This should give him the opportunity to quietly hang on to the group of the punchers and do nothing but waiting for the sprint.

This course will be much too tough for farrar. The more people have said about the course indicates that he will not make it to the finish.

For all intents and purposes Farrar is only slightly more capable of making a selection than a MSR 2009 Cavendish.

Of the "sprinters" in the race, it would be something like this: Cavendish < Greipel < Farrar < Goss < Hushovd < Davis < EBH < GvA < Sagan < Pozzato < Freire

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:

I reckon he has the best chance of any of the pure sprinters. He got through the Vuelta very well and has the miles in his legs so I also wouldn't rule him out yet.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I hope we get a less than expected world champion. Preferably someone from this list

Goss
Fischer
Duque
Roche
Gavazzi
Arashiro (Japan ftw)
Jelloul (Morocco ftw)
Boom
Langeveld
Jack Bauer (obviously)
M.Cardoso
Bozic
Bole
Ventoso
D.Wyss
Jackson Rodriguez

I am expecting a less than expected winner this year. From that list i will go for Wyss as BMC riders are the last two world champions.;)

Seriously, my tip is pozzato, gilbert, evans.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to stick my kneck out and go for EBH for the win. Got a feeling Gilbert will be too heavily marked as he is the overwhelming favourite to win. My prediction:

1) EBH
2) Pozzato
3) Gerrans

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
The BBC has the comments by Cavendish:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/9040303.stm

If he's being honest (and, having seen some of the U23 TT, I think he is), then what does that say about Team GB?

They go on (and on... and on...) about their "attention to detail", but that legendary "attention to detail" doesn't seem to involve finding out what sort of circuit the race will be run on.

Bloody Brailsford!!!!:):) - Australia must be paying him to make his country men look like idiots by selecting a bunch of hacks..:D;)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Bloody Brailsford!!!!:):) - Australia must be paying him to make his country men look like idiots by selecting a bunch of hacks..:D;)

Its not Brailsfords fault we dont have riders for this course, cycling is a minor sport in Britain remember. Tiddly-winks or chess are more respected sports in Britain amongst the vast amount of subnormal people that reside here so its very difficult.

Cav next year or Kennaugh or Thomas possibly in a couple of years could compete but the riders we have now stand little chance.

TRENDING THREADS