• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavendish's Helmet at Worlds

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Does anybody know what Cavendish had on his helmet? When you look at the photos it appears it was a clear shell/film attached to it. Looking at the Specialized website I can't find any such device/attachment. It would make the helmet a little more aero which is likely the reason he had it on.

Any thoughts? Has anybody seen this on any other rider?

Thanks,

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
MartinGT said:
According to Velo News, the helmet was infact illegal!

I think Velo News has it's facts wrong as Matt Brammeier used one of the same Specialized helmets earlier in the year at one of the races. He actually has a picture of it on his twitter page.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
sky have been using helmets with closed off vents in many races this year.

I guess it is some marginal gain nonsense that has rubbed off on Cav courtesy of GB.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Why would it be illegal.There are no rules requiring vents in your helmet.
Are there?:confused:

There is a weird rule about not allowing aerodynamic products - I read when Bont had their new shoe.

I know think ITT but by the letter of the law if I remember not allowed

From Velo News
What baffles me about them is whether or not they are actually legal. As a fairing or aerodynamic aid, especially one NOT sold to the public, they are illegal. Clearly the officials didn’t take issue with them.

As I understand it, if the outer shell of the helmet is permanent, like the Team Sky Kasks, they are allowed. But Cavendish appeared to have a clear cover over an existing Specialized Prevail helmet.

Cavendish used every item in his aero arsenal to help in Copenhagen, with the exception of shoe covers. He rode a Venge McLaren, Zipp 404 rims laced to Shimano hubs, his helmet cover and a very slick looking ¾ sleeve skinsuit.

Second place Matt Goss raced on a Tarmac, in a normal Prevail helmet and wore a jersey and separate bib shorts. In a race decided by inches, Cav may have won before he started the race.