• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cavs lead out train at Worlds

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Cav might need to recruit riders for his Worlds lead out train. Maybe Morocco or Iran could lend a rider or 2 of the 6 allocations they get each to the British cause or maybe he could pay off one of the 10 Aussies who will be riding the road race?
Isn't it great to see the huge money that the poms have invested in road cycling pay off with their 3 places for the mens elite road race.

If I had to guess then I think that Cav go for Dave Millar and Geraint Thomas as his team mates. They seem to be the strongest British riders. He could always get some help from other teams and on top of that there are always going to be other countires who are going to miss the crucial break and bring it together.

That said I don't think Cav will win it. I think it's more of a course for Freire.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
who says Cav needs his own leadout train?? He proved in the tour he can find his own way to the finish line, the train and Renshaw just make it easier for him. as someone said, there will be other nations who will miss the break or want a bunch finish so he either makes a deal with them or just hopes it all comes together.
Thats all provided he makes it to the finish.......

The poms (as you so eloquently put it) I am sure will be disappointed that they have only qualified 3 riders this year. However I must tkae issue with your comment of the major investment made by British Cycling. I think you will find the money has been put in by and under the name of Sky. Road racing in Britain has been the poor relative of track cycling for a number of years, the track has been the centre of attention and has received the lion share of lottery funding. This is the first year of Sky investing in the road programme, and although undeniably results have been disappointing it is fair to say that success does not happen over night.

I think Cav best chance will be in Copenhagen next year and I think it's fair to say GB will be looking to secure their full quota for next year.

I think Millar will go for TT. Thomas may not take part as he wants to ride the Commonwealths and poss Euro Track champs. I think Hammond & Hunt would be best bet for team mates for Cav.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, 3 riders has been pretty much expected for months, and is reflective of GB's performance in the peloton.
LAst years entry was scewed by Cav having an amazing year, and Brad finishing 4th in the tour. It was pretty obvious early on that Cav was going to be quieter this year and we were going to get less riders. And the other brits have been dissapointing, Hammond picked up some points last year but has done nowt this year.

Pretty much as expected.Although its a shame that seeing how Gee, and Russ (with several wins including a minor gc) havnt picked up more points.

But anyway, 3 riders, probably Cav, Gee, and Millar, although Gee is only a maybe. Considering Russ now has a full year PT under him, he wouldnt be a bad option to take to lead cav out. Millar might decide to do the TT though, so who knows.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
If Cav (and Bob Stapleton) has a word in the right ears, then GB could have quite a good team:

Cavendish, Thomas, Hammond, Eisel, Siutsou, Velits*, Velits*

Millar for the TT

(*Once Sagan is DNF, which he probably will be at his age.)

adamski101 said:
It's what Australians call British people. Shortened version of word Pommy. Origins of which I do not know

1 Prisoner Of (her) Majesty

2. Short for Pomegranate. Reference to the ruddy cheeks of the Brits under the Oz sun.

Dunno which reference is correct

davis_123

BANNED
May 4, 2010
Visit site
adamski101 said:
It's what Australians call British people. Shortened version of word Pommy. Origins of which I do not know

When we think British we thing a bunch of men sitting around a table drinking a cup of tea with wigs on.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Offtheback said:

2. Short for Pomegranate. Reference to the ruddy cheeks of the Brits under the Oz sun.

Great. Well thought out term that. ;)

A

Anonymous

Offtheback said:

in which case we should could australians poms as opposed to the other way around.

Offtheback said:

Originally pom was a derogatory term.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/287200.html
"The word 'pommy' derives from pomegranate. The English were called
Limeys because they ate limes to ward off scurvy on the long ssea
voyage, but the pomegranate tag didn't originate that way. Pommy grant
is likely to have originated as a form of rhyming slang for immigrant.

Popular myth has it that pom derives from the fact that many immigrants
to Oz were British convicts who had been transported there. They
supposedly arrived with POHM (Prisoner of Her Majesty) printed on their
clothes. Like most phrases that are supposed to derive from acronyms,
that notion is supported by no evidence whatsoever.

The terms pom and pommy began to be used in Australia just before WWI
and the first known citations of it in print date from 1912 and 1913
respectively."

woodie said:
who says Cav needs his own leadout train?? He proved in the tour he can find his own way to the finish line, the train and Renshaw just make it easier for him. as someone said, there will be other nations who will miss the break or want a bunch finish so he either makes a deal with them or just hopes it all comes together.
Thats all provided he makes it to the finish.......

I'm with you. If Cav shows up, my money's on him. Although he has not had to much, he has gotten some wins without leadouts, much like pocket-rocket Robbie McEwen who was always great at finding the right wheel and using his huge acceleration to get by everyone.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that if Cav is there in the finale then it won't matter whether he has a lead-out or not, but after seeing videos of the course I'm really not sure he will be. He's going to have to be on really top form to get over those climbs without losing contact with the bunch, and since he has no team he'll have to just hope that other countries chase down the attacks that are sure to come.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The climb is the one at the finish or the one 6km out.

they take a sharp right and up hill to the finish it is aprox 1 km up hill but it can be stated a power climb for strog sprinters.

the two climbs 6 km out are steep very hard

read this story and picks by John Trovorrow today in Geelong addvertiser
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/08/18/202085_news.html

at the speed the italians belgians etc will have on them climbs it will be hard for sprinters to get back and recover in time.

They dont need lead out trains they need workers who can help them.

Unlike any other year this race will be unpredictable.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If they had a brain they'd have Roger Hammond pilot Cavendish to the front from 600-400m and then have Jeremy Hunt lead him out.

Hammond is classy at staying up front and has experience to burn.

Hunt is a pretty fast sprinter in his own right, and is also massively experienced.

Both these guys learned the hard way as young riders in Belgium and are hard as nails.

However, they left the UK as youngsters at a time when cycling wasn't hip, don't ride for Team Sky, don't prioritise races in Britain, are old and only Hunt has ridden the Tour once (on debut as 36yr old this year!) so are not well known to newish cycling fans, and will thus likely be overlooked for younger riders on Team Sky who won't have the legs or the nous for a race of that level and distance.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hammond is a good shout, but I'd take Millar over Hunt any day. Like I said, Cav doesn't need a pilot fish, he needs someone to chase down moves.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
If they had a brain they'd have Roger Hammond pilot Cavendish to the front from 600-400m and then have Jeremy Hunt lead him out.

Hammond is classy at staying up front and has experience to burn.

Hunt is a pretty fast sprinter in his own right, and is also massively experienced.

Both these guys learned the hard way as young riders in Belgium and are hard as nails.

However, they left the UK as youngsters at a time when cycling wasn't hip, don't ride for Team Sky, don't prioritise races in Britain, are old and only Hunt has ridden the Tour once (on debut as 36yr old this year!) so are not well known to newish cycling fans, and will thus likely be overlooked for younger riders on Team Sky who won't have the legs or the nous for a race of that level and distance.

Maybe Jeremy Hunt should have considered this before he staged his little protest against Cavendish in Switzerland. No chance of him being selected now.

TRENDING THREADS