• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Challenge Mallorca Jan 29 - Feb 01, 2015

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mayomaniac said:
Yes, but Valverde was the one that pulled the whole time, Pozzovivo only stayed on his wheel, it was the smart thing to do but in the end he was swallowed by the rest.

Lol no he didn't. Of course Valverde has more power on the flat and he's also a waaaay better sprinter so naturally he pulled the must for the last couple of k's. It's not like Pozzovivo sat on Valverde's wheel for 20 k straight.

Last race of the series:

thumb_uc_205435_506_Hoehenprofil_Trofeo_Playa_de_Palma_2015.jpg

Startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjYzMzY=

Probably too much bunch sprint interest to really make this interesting until the final few kms, so Greipel FTW.

Start around 10am, finishes 2pm or so (CET).

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Good result by Sam Bennett coming 4th today. Had a number of good wins last year and its looks as if Bora are going to back him this year and provide him with a sprint train. I think the guy has a lot of potential. Not on the same level as Kittel/Cav/Greipel yet but I don't think he is far from Bouhanni, Degenkolb, Matthews, Nizzolo, Demare.

Any thoughts??

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
It will be the breakthrough year of Pelucchi. He just turned 26. Petacchi started to win at 26 but only started to dominate at age 29. Impressive wins, seemed easy against 70% of world class sprinters who were present.

He showed some talent a couple of years ago, now he has found the winning formula.
First bigger win will be at Tirreno or Paris- Nice.

EDIT: He won at Tirreno last year. This year he will be win on a more consistent basis and if he goes to the Giro, he'll win 2-3 stages.

hayzer114 said:
Good result by Sam Bennett coming 4th today. Had a number of good wins last year and its looks as if Bora are going to back him this year and provide him with a sprint train. I think the guy has a lot of potential. Not on the same level as Kittel/Cav/Greipel yet but I don't think he is far from Bouhanni, Degenkolb, Matthews, Nizzolo, Demare.

Any thoughts??

This is a pretty diverse group imo.

Degenkolb is primarily a hardman sprinter (similar to Kristoff), Matthews seems great in some uphill terrain and Bouhanni has already clocked up 30 pro wins aged 24. Demare seems very versatile, but hasn't delivered on the biggest scene yet imo.

So when you compare Bennett with this group are we talking simple flat stages?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
Fifth year in a row that some 2nd or 3rd tier sprinter gets two wins in Mallorca. It's a tradition now.

Pelucchi isn't a 2nd or 3rd sprinter, but a highly irregular sprinter. He's got the speed of a great sprinter, he belongs to the 10 fastests sprinters in the world.

But in 70/80% of the time, he even doesn't enter in a good position to really sprint. But i think this year he will progress.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
This is a pretty diverse group imo.

Degenkolb is primarily a hardman sprinter (similar to Kristoff), Matthews seems great in some uphill terrain and Bouhanni has already clocked up 30 pro wins aged 24. Demare seems very versatile, but hasn't delivered on the biggest scene yet imo.

So when you compare Bennett with this group are we talking simple flat stages?
I would probably put Bennett in the Degenkolb / Matthews category. As seen in the Tour of Britain in 2013 he can compete in an uphill sprint. Having been at the Dublin stage in the Giro last year the finish was slightly uphill, it was the type of finish he could really have gone well in had he been there. Ultimately had he been there he wouldn't have beaten Kittel.

hayzer114 said:
I would probably put Bennett in the Degenkolb / Matthews category. As seen in the Tour of Britain in 2013 he can compete in an uphill sprint. Having been at the Dublin stage in the Giro last year the finish was slightly uphill, it was the type of finish he could really have gone well in had he been there. Ultimately had he been there he wouldn't have beaten Kittel.

He is very light by the standards of bunch sprinters. 68/69 kgs, which is less than Cavendish (who is a good bit shorter).