• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chapeau Danny Boy

Seems like Daniel Martin is recovered from his knee issues. Hopefully he'll stay healthy through 2011. I was disappointed he got hurt especially after his stellar 2nd place finish to Valverde in the 2009, Volta A Catalunya.

Absolutely love this quote about his dad "The advances of technology and knowledge towards training, even sports medicine and nutrition nowadays leaves him stumped, but it's great to have somebody to talk to who understands what it's like to do it himself. He's really influenced my career and helped me as much as he could."

He's part of a growing list of super talented youngsters, P Sagan, B Mollema, T Phinney...

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
xmoonx said:
Seems like Daniel Martin is recovered from his knee issues. Hopefully he'll stay healthy through 2011. I was disappointed he got hurt especially after his stellar 2nd place finish to Valverde in the 2009, Volta A Catalunya.

Absolutely love this quote about his dad "The advances of technology and knowledge towards training, even sports medicine and nutrition nowadays leaves him stumped, but it's great to have somebody to talk to who understands what it's like to do it himself. He's really influenced my career and helped me as much as he could."

He's part of a growing list of super talented youngsters, P Sagan, B Mollema, T Phinney...

Well said.

He's definately doing well compared to other riders of his age (and younger)
This year, despite the race he missed, he's now in 4th place on CQ ranking

(subranking of 1986 and after born riders)

1. [NED] GESINK Robert RAB 31/05/1986 941
2. [CZE] KREUZIGER Roman LIQ 06/05/1986 741
3. [SVK] SAGAN Peter LIQ 26/01/1990 633
4. [IRL] MARTIN Daniel GRM 20/08/1986 514
5. [NOR] BOASSON HAGEN Edvald SKY 17/05/1987 511
6. [SLO] SPILAK Simon LAM 23/06/1986 479
7. [NED] MOLLEMA Bauke RAB 26/11/1986 444
8. [ESP] INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat EUS 20/03/1986 438
9. [USA] VAN GARDEREN Tejay THR 12/08/1988 404
10. [FRA] COPPEL Jérôme SAU 06/08/1986 387

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He's definately doing well compared to other riders of his age (and younger)
This year, despite the race he missed, he's now in 4th place on CQ ranking

(subranking of 1986 and after born riders)

1. [NED] GESINK Robert RAB 31/05/1986 941
2. [CZE] KREUZIGER Roman LIQ 06/05/1986 741
3. [SVK] SAGAN Peter LIQ 26/01/1990 633
4. [IRL] MARTIN Daniel GRM 20/08/1986 514
5. [NOR] BOASSON HAGEN Edvald SKY 17/05/1987 511
6. [SLO] SPILAK Simon LAM 23/06/1986 479
7. [NED] MOLLEMA Bauke RAB 26/11/1986 444
8. [ESP] INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat EUS 20/03/1986 438
9. [USA] VAN GARDEREN Tejay THR 12/08/1988 404
10. [FRA] COPPEL Jérôme SAU 06/08/1986 387

I did not know bauke was the same age as Bobby G. Super talent!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I did not know bauke was the same age as Bobby G. Super talent!

TGBM only started cycling as a sport at age 17 or something.
I think Gesink won the national junior ITT title at that age.

/ontopic:
That stage win by Martin was awesome, hope he can continue to grow into a GT contender.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Why is he Irish instead of English

The real answer is that at the time that Dan was emerging 5-6 years ago, British Cycling were only promoting the track riders through to the Academy at Quarrata [sp, sic]. This meant that Dan was not being presented with the opportunities which he felt [along with almost everybody else] he deserved in the GB team on the road. He qualifies for Ireland where he was naturally welcomed with open arms. the rest, as they say, is history.

LugHugger said:
The real answer is that at the time that Dan was emerging 5-6 years ago, British Cycling were only promoting the track riders through to the Academy at Quarrata [sp, sic]. This meant that Dan was not being presented with the opportunities which he felt [along with almost everybody else] he deserved in the GB team on the road. He qualifies for Ireland where he was naturally welcomed with open arms. the rest, as they say, is history.

What a shame. If he develops into a gt contender britain would have had someone consistently performing in the sport and raising the interest of it. Oh well.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Pity Cycling News have not given him a headline instead of cry baby Greipel. It is a big win in a young cyclists career and he took it with class too...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What a shame. If he develops into a gt contender britain would have had someone consistently performing in the sport and raising the interest of it. Oh well.

Well, he's some way off being a GT contender. I've no doubt that he has the potential but imo his best opportunities will come in the one week Tours and some of the hilly Classics and semi-Classics.

Benotti69 said:
Pity Cycling News have not given him a headline instead of cry baby Greipel. It is a big win in a young cyclists career and he took it with class too...

Yep, seems strange to focus on the stage winner and not the overall.

Well Martin had a free role in the Giro but apart from 2 mountainstages where he was with the best 10, in the others he was absent or not good enough.

He's a bit known for his inconsistency over night. He can be the best one day and have loads of troubles the next.

I should really have congratulated the Irish Brummie by now. Well done Dan.

It is hard to know if Dan can become a GT contender as he has only shown flashes of perfromances as others have correctly pointed out. Why that may be might be best left to the clinic but I hope he keeps progressing.

He seems like a level headed guy. I shouted some encouragement at him on the Sierra Nevade climb in the Vuelta last year, he was well down that day. He looked at me with a look of amusement and gave me a thumbs up sign.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That's no excuse, he is from 1986
same year as Kiserlovski, Mollema (10th and 12th in Giro) and even Kreuziger, Gesink are from 86

No excuse for what?? So everyone at the same age should be at the 'exact same level' without consideration to body physiology (how communist of you). Or just maybe he's being directed carefully because his people around him don't want another has-been burnt out at 28 year old :rolleyes: I'd prefer to think that his family and their connections knows how to direct this kid. Not thrown to the dogs 70's 80's 90's Euro pro style forced to take anything and everything just to compete :rolleyes: Left on the junk heap of has been ex-pro's Euro style :rolleyes: There's more to life than cycling, didn't you know that??

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
A classy kid who could go along way in cycling. I think with his family structure they'll know how to direct him and keep him focused.

Too true.

Was out over the weekend and stopped at the Hill of Tara for some tea and a scone. Who should be there but Lawrence Roche who is Stephen's brother and Dan's uncle.

Congratulated him and the family on the win.

Martin is a class act alright with a great future ahead of him if he can stay fit.

boardhanger said:
No excuse for what?? So everyone at the same age should be at the 'exact same level' without consideration to body physiology (how communist of you). Or just maybe he's being directed carefully because his people around him don't want another has-been burnt out at 28 year old :rolleyes: I'd prefer to think that his family and their connections knows how to direct this kid. Not thrown to the dogs 70's 80's 90's Euro pro style forced to take anything and everything just to compete :rolleyes: Left on the junk heap of has been ex-pro's Euro style :rolleyes: There's more to life than cycling, didn't you know that??
Consistency over three weeks is the key factor in GTs, and most contenders show this from a young age. It's a talent you either do or do not have. You can perfect it with age, but the talent needs to be there.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Great win for Dan, secured with a great solo attack.

I agree with what people are saying that he hasn't shown consistency in 3-week races yet, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he won't find that in the next few years.

That said, I think he has a better chance of success if he chases the overall in shorter stage races and stage wins in the Grand Tours.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
there is thankfully more to cycling than GTs, as there are only 3 of them. But there are some great palmares and monuments that can be won, Milan San Remo and Giro di Lombardia and LBL are hilly courses that can suit a climber also the smaller tours so let's not get carried away if a rider cannot win a GT. Not the end of cycling, although some may think differently..

Benotti69 said:
there is thankfully more to cycling than GTs, as there are only 3 of them. But there are some great palmares and monuments that can be won, Milan San Remo and Giro di Lombardia and LBL are hilly courses that can suit a climber also the smaller tours so let's not get carried away if a rider cannot win a GT. Not the end of cycling, although some may think differently..
Ofcourse, that's why I see Dan Martin has a bright future ahead of him.

I was just replying to the 'he should be leader in a GT'-remark somewhere in this thread.

Interview in Velonation after the ToP win:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...lects-on-ProTour-glory-in-Tour-of-Poland.aspx

What's the one on the left up to?

Martin_Dan_top10st4_press.jpg

:D