• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chicken flies off the handles

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Highlander said:
Even with all his problems and the baggage that Rasmussen brings, I could see a team like Astana signing him as long as they were assured that the ASO would allow him to compete in the Tour. I realize that this is a big if, but his suspension did end in 2009, so he has been back longer than Ricco who wanted to ride in the Giro. Rasmussen could serve as the ultimate mountain domestique for Contador and really silence many critics who claim that Astana is just too weak.

Rassmussen hasn't shown anywhere near the form of others returning from suspension and in most of his races he's been competing against less than the sports's best. I don't how much help he could offer. He seems to be in a similar rut as Landis where he's so angry at the world that it's affecting his ability to race/train effectively. One would think that a rider that was one of the elite climbers in the world would have something to show in terms of results or even evidence that they are anywhere near being in the same hemisphere of performance that they were prior to being suspended.

ergmonkey said:
About that much, you are certainly correct. A lawyer would not quote a statute which went into effect on January 1, 2009 when referencing conduct which occurred in 2007. As I said in an earlier post, the details matter.

In fact, all that I said in my original post was that I would have liked for Cyclingnews to have included more of the details. That being said, I was glad to see the follow-up story posted later on.

I always thought that Cyclingnews usually offered a link to the related article for the reader to use as reference in case they were unaware of the case's details. Have they gone away from that? Possibly with the the upgrade of the website it's not possible? I know when accessing the archives it always immediately takes you back to news screen just prior to the 2009 Dauphine.

Angliru said:
I always thought that Cyclingnews usually offered a link to the related article for the reader to use as reference in case they were unaware of the case's details. Have they gone away from that? Possibly with the the upgrade of the website it's not possible? I know when accessing the archives it always immediately takes you back to news screen just prior to the 2009 Dauphine.

Which story do you mean? The follow-up article? Because if you look at the right hand side of the page, right next to the photo of Rasmussen, you will see the category "Related Articles" which gives the link to the previous story.

Susan

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Actually - Cyclingnews have gone one better - and given Rasmussen the 'right to reply', he claims "my words have gotten translated so many times they have lost all their meaning" - even though he gave the interview in Danish to the Danish news paper.

Here is the original article in Danish and here is a translation of the original Danish article. Perhaps some of the Scandanavians could clarify - but it appears he said what he says he didn't say. ;)
I'm Danish and he does wish death and misery on others in the article. Any mistake that might have happened wasn't due to mistranslations of the original. I suppose that he could have been misquoted in that article, but I'll leave it for you to decide whether to trust Rasmussen or the journalist.

Another interesting thing is that he is pretty clear about endorsing the view that anti-doping rules being rules not prohibiting doping, but rather regulating doping. He's innocent (according to himself) because he doped within the rules, not because he's clean. He obviously doesn't say it in so many word, but it's still quite clear.

Susan Westemeyer said:
Which story do you mean? The follow-up article? Because if you look at the right hand side of the page, right next to the photo of Rasmussen, you will see the category "Related Articles" which gives the link to the previous story.

Susan

That was a clumsy attempt on my part of standing up for Cyclingnews. I was referring to the "related articles" from the original period when all of his troubles at the Tour surfaced. I didn't go back to the article that is the topic of this thread to see if there was a link. My apologies.:eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I'm Danish and he does wish death and misery on others in the article.

He states that if certain persons would die, he would be fine with that. Nothing special, I can say that about dozens of people.

His doping views are totally '90s. Cool to see someone just telling it like it is/was.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
Radioshack is perfect for him. Where else can a 30-something, past their prime rider with an ambiguous history of cheating (Chicken never tested positive, mind you) go?

Maybe Rasmussen and FLandis can start a new team together. Share a bunk each down by the river. Not so sure it will be dark by 9pm. ....

arvens

BANNED
Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The GCW said:
Rasmussen got robbed. And I felt robbed when Rasmussen got pulled from the Tour. That was a low point in Tour history when Rasmussen and fans got robbed.

I think the mistake was allowing him to start the tdf in the first place. Removing him mid-race was just inexplicable. Cycling seems to have a compulsion to draw attention to itself for all the wrong reasons.

Sorry, this is probably a subject for another thread and another horse that has been miserably beaten to death repeatedly.

arvens

BANNED
Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
got to loooove that google translater

Quote for me Pantani is the one outstanding. Here quote:

'Pantani is so straight smoked over a tooth.'

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
He states that if certain persons would die, he would be fine with that. Nothing special, I can say that about dozens of people.
So could I probably, though not with the same intensity as Rasmussen, I'm smart enough not to say so in a public setting though. Wishing death and misery on others is best done in private.

ak-zaaf said:
His doping views are totally '90s. Cool to see someone just telling it like it is/was.

Again, most riders probably think the same, but they're to smart to say so. I suppose you can admire his honesty, but myself I'm more inclined to lament his idiocy.

23288065.jpg

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Walshworld said:
When you can write comedy as well as I can on a daily basis, lemme know.
When you have anything meaningful to say, also lemme know.

Why don't you go and pay for ad space rather than cluttering stuff up?

PIC RELATED; its me. not caring.

ricky_gervais_inside_actors_studio.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Bro always seems to get in one good punch after the ref. says break.:D

Bro has a point, though. If that guy contributed anything meaningful while plugging his blog, he might be bearable. But given he contributes nothing, pumps his blog constantly and acts as if he's hilarious, he starts to grate quite a bit.

His posts all follow the same formula

1. Quote someone
2. Add in an irrelevant sentence that contrbiutes nothing
3. Link to blog
4. ?
5. Profit

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Bro always seems to get in one good punch after the ref. says break.:D

Bro has a point, though. If that guy contributed anything meaningful while plugging his blog, he might be bearable. But given he contributes nothing, pumps his blog constantly and acts as if he's hilarious, he starts to grate quite a bit.

1. Quote someone
2. Add in an irrelevant pseudo-funny sentence that contributes nothing
3. Link to blog
4. ?
5. Profit

issoisso said:

1. Quote someone
2. Add in an irrelevant pseudo-funny sentence that contributes nothing
3. Link to blog
4. ?
5. Profit

Don't think anyone clicks his links anymore though.

TRENDING THREADS