• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 319 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

  • Yes.

    Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

    Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

    Votes: 18 22.8%

  • Total voters
    79
Tonton said:
If this happened to Bertie, imagine the panic, fans jumping out the windows :D . But in Froome's case, no reason to hit the panic button. His focus is the Tour. Nice training ride today, he's so far behind that he can go for a stage and no one will react among the GC contenders if he attacks. For me, after his poor showing at LBL, it's a bit sad: a rider of his stature should never lose double-digit minutes or finish 100th+. That bothers me. But Froome doesn't care if it bothers me. It's all about July after all.

:p
 
Tonton said:
If this happened to Bertie, imagine the panic, fans jumping out the windows :D . But in Froome's case, no reason to hit the panic button. His focus is the Tour. Nice training ride today, he's so far behind that he can go for a stage and no one will react among the GC contenders if he attacks. For me, after his poor showing at LBL, it's a bit sad: a rider of his stature should never lose double-digit minutes or finish 100th+. That bothers me. But Froome doesn't care if it bothers me. It's all about July after all.

...and Rio and the Vuelta.
 
Tonton said:
If this happened to Bertie, imagine the panic, fans jumping out the windows :D . But in Froome's case, no reason to hit the panic button. His focus is the Tour. Nice training ride today, he's so far behind that he can go for a stage and no one will react among the GC contenders if he attacks. For me, after his poor showing at LBL, it's a bit sad: a rider of his stature should never lose double-digit minutes or finish 100th+. That bothers me. But Froome doesn't care if it bothers me. It's all about July after all.

Well said, just don't really like the fact he sat up. But yes it's all about July, and he still has 2 stages to do something here.
 
Tonton said:
If this happened to Bertie, imagine the panic, fans jumping out the windows :D . But in Froome's case, no reason to hit the panic button. His focus is the Tour. Nice training ride today, he's so far behind that he can go for a stage and no one will react among the GC contenders if he attacks. For me, after his poor showing at LBL, it's a bit sad: a rider of his stature should never lose double-digit minutes or finish 100th+. That bothers me. But Froome doesn't care if it bothers me. It's all about July after all.

only our beloved La Flo jumps out of proverbial windows under those circumstances. :p :p I do love how every poor Froome performance is dismissed because his focus is the Tour, as if his other competitors have a different focus. :rolleyes: That being said, I'm reserving judgment until after tomorrow's stage.
 
Re:

Publicus said:
Maybe you all are right and that he just gave up. I was surprised no one stopped with him to help pace him back to the main group. Tomorrow will be very telling. I don't think he's on great form, which doesn't make sense given all the training camps he's attended (not to mention perfecting synchronized steering with his team).

After Nieve gave him a wheel there was only Thomas left and he obviously had to stay in the peloton.
 
I have little doubt Froome will be ready for the Tour; but it does say something that he gives up so easily whenever he's not in top form. Witness Contador and Quintana, they always seem to be in the top 8 or so no matter how far off peak they are. Nonetheless, Froome is still the favorite come the Tour; I don't see how anyone can doubt him after decisively winning two Tours (and should have one three if we're honest).
 
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Publicus said:
Maybe you all are right and that he just gave up. I was surprised no one stopped with him to help pace him back to the main group. Tomorrow will be very telling. I don't think he's on great form, which doesn't make sense given all the training camps he's attended (not to mention perfecting synchronized steering with his team).

After Nieve gave him a wheel there was only Thomas left and he obviously had to stay in the peloton.

Ah that explains it. Thanks
 
He didn't look too disappointed during the chat with Nieve.
Though, he looks less strong than previous years at this point of season. His whole schedule is, most probably, shifted for a couple of weeks towards the back end of the Tour and the Olympics.
Some illness or injury would be worrying, this way - I think everything is under control.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
3
0
Visit site
Some bookies have upgraded Quintana a little bit and downgraded Froome. Betfair exchange, which is still relatively low volume/money as of now and thus noisy had the biggest change but it's still small. The implied probabilities to win the Tour as of now are

Froome: 37%
Quintana: 35%
Contador: 14.5%

Yesterday they were:

Froome: 38%
Quintana: 32%
Contador: 15%
 
May 26, 2015
538
0
0
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Some bookies have upgraded Quintana a little bit and downgraded Froome. Betfair exchange, which is still relatively low volume/money as of now and thus noisy had the biggest change but it's still small. The implied probabilities to win the Tour as of now are

Froome: 37%
Quintana: 35%
Contador: 14.5%

Yesterday they were:

Froome: 38%
Quintana: 32%
Contador: 15%

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, do you even know how odds works?

The odds are controlled by the market and the market is controlled by the people which place the bets meaning it doesnt mean *** at all as far as any probabilities goes... :rolleyes:

For instance Froome had 2.33 odds to win Romandie while every educated cycle person would know that that would be insane and isnt correct at all :D
 
Feb 21, 2016
104
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Implied propabilities of not winning the Tour de France

Betfair exchange

Froome - 99%
Quintana - 68.75%
Aru - 96.552%
Contador - 88.372%
What does that mean?

Absolutely nothing really, but I guess that's the point the poster is making. It's just the odds people are looking to bet at.

See here:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/cycling/market/1.119710618

Lay all section in pink.

Froome 100 = 99/1. 1/(99+1) = 0.01 1% chance of winning, therefore 99% chance of losing.
Quintana 3.2 = 2.2/1. 1/(2.2+1) = 0.3125 31.25% chance of winning, therefore 68.75% of losing.

Etc, etc, for Aru and Contador.

I can safely say we won't see an actual bookmaker offer 99/1 Froome for the Tour. ;)
 
Re:

lenric said:
Froome is doing a Nibali 2014 this year... or Armstrong.
As a cycling fan this is **** shitty, but if he wins le Tour nobody's gonna remember this

if he win Dauphine, the Tour with 5 minute with Contador, ITT and route at the olimpics and la Vuelta nobidy is going to remerber he give up an stage for a mechanical in Romandie, yes, of course...

And if he won le Tour just for 1 minute with Contador as well, yes.

And if he win tomorrow ITT and he do well in the next mountain stage, it would be ok, maybe better than his 8th place at Cataluña.
 
Re: Re:

pablopaul said:
Absolutely nothing really, but I guess that's the point the poster is making. It's just the odds people are looking to bet at.

See here:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/cycling/market/1.119710618

Lay all section in pink.

Froome 100 = 99/1. 1/(99+1) = 0.01 1% chance of winning, therefore 99% chance of losing.
Quintana 3.2 = 2.2/1. 1/(2.2+1) = 0.3125 31.25% chance of winning, therefore 68.75% of losing.

Etc, etc, for Aru and Contador.

I can safely say we won't see an actual bookmaker offer 99/1 Froome for the Tour. ;)
Thanks, I get it now :)
 

TRENDING THREADS