• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 463 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re:

telencefalus said:
i really don't know what to expect in these last 5 stage for froome really till now he has the best grand tour season from Pantani , so it's on the verge to become the best GC rider since Indurain , i think he is even better than indurain because , if you think Indurain won just for the rigged parcours with ton of km in tt so i think that Froome , if he will not have clinic issue , he will be the 4TH BEST GC RIDER OF ALL TIME behind cannibal , Hinault , Anquetil , so one only word is necessary ET

Anquetil's Tours were full of TT also, so were Merckx's and Hinault's. By your logic Froome is maybe better than them too? :rolleyes: The truth is he's nowhere near top 5 GT riders of all time. They are: Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil, Coppi and Indurain. Gino Bartali and Alberto Contador are also better GT riders

Re: Re:

Blanco said:
telencefalus said:
i really don't know what to expect in these last 5 stage for froome really till now he has the best grand tour season from Pantani , so it's on the verge to become the best GC rider since Indurain , i think he is even better than indurain because , if you think Indurain won just for the rigged parcours with ton of km in tt so i think that Froome , if he will not have clinic issue , he will be the 4TH BEST GC RIDER OF ALL TIME behind cannibal , Hinault , Anquetil , so one only word is necessary ET

Anquetil's Tours were full of TT also, so were Merckx's and Hinault's. By your logic Froome is maybe better than them too? :rolleyes: The truth is he's nowhere near top 5 GT riders of all time. They are: Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil, Coppi and Indurain. Gino Bartali and Alberto Contador are also better GT riders

I wouldn't suggest he's better than any of them but you cannot deny he has won TDF when the pacours have been specifically designed to prevent him from winning, which of the above had to contend with that ? You could argue that having a super strong team compensates but so did Indurain.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
hey when i say that Froome is a better gc rider than Contador and the 4 th best all time i based that on stats , if you look at he all time cycling HALL OF FAME you can see that Froome has 8740 points from GC while Contador only 7380

Re:

telencefalus said:
LOL, and Coppi?

telencefalus said:
hey when i say that Froome is a better gc rider than Contador and the 4 th best all time i based that on stats , if you look at he all time cycling HALL OF FAME you can see that Froome has 8740 points from GC while Contador only 7380

That ranking is almost ridiculous as your posts. You're either a troll or new to cycling and don't know very much about it.

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Seriously , Froome is not in the same league as a top form Bertie or even Andy schlock when it comes to climbing. He has never once launched a dominating attack from the bottom of a climb or a long way down and dropped everyone. It's all about power meters being dragged along by strong team mates etc. The mountain stages have virtually been turned into TT. 2014 we saw Bertie destroy Froome. That is the only time Froome has come up against a rival of that calibre. The standard has been definitively lower regarding top class competitions. I doubt Froome would have won as many tours had he raced against a top form Bertie or a top form Evans or Shleck etc . He's had a easy ride in comparison. You only have to look at Wiggos ( Evans was past his best at that point) victory to see how much the level has dropped regards top climbers. Froome has never once dominated a climb like Armstrong ,Bertie etc . The rest of why he wins ( see the clinic)

Blanco said:
telencefalus said:

That ranking is almost ridiculous as your posts. You're either a troll or new to cycling and don't know very much about it.
how those who have very much knowledge about cycling should think? :confused: considering froome inferior or superior to contador is perfectly normal. their palmares being on the line, where any point is valid.

Re:

Lv426 said:
Seriously , Froome is not in the same league as a top form Bertie or even Andy schlock when it comes to climbing. He has never once launched a dominating attack from the bottom of a climb or a long way down and dropped everyone. It's all about power meters being dragged along by strong team mates etc. The mountain stages have virtually been turned into TT. 2014 we saw Bertie destroy Froome. That is the only time Froome has come up against a rival of that calibre. The standard has been definitively lower regarding top class competitions. I doubt Froome would have won as many tours had he raced against a top form Bertie or a top form Evans or Shleck etc . He's had a easy ride in comparison. You only have to look at Wiggos ( Evans was past his best at that point) victory to see how much the level has dropped regards top climbers. Froome has never once dominated a climb like Armstrong ,Bertie etc . The rest of why he wins ( see the clinic)

Ax 3 Domaines?
Pierre St Martin?

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Lv426 said:
Really a shame that crash from andy in the dauphine. He (and his brother) would be a great rival for froome, specially because of his brother and cancellara, two riders who could break the sky train in the mountains, hills, or even on the flat

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Lv426 said:
2014 we saw Bertie destroy Froome. That is the only time Froome has come up against a rival of that calibre.
Froome destroyed Contador in le Tour in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. In 2016 also in la Vuelta and looks like it is happening in this year too. Now waiting for excuses :lol:

dacooley said:
Blanco said:
telencefalus said:

how those who have very much knowledge about cycling should think? :confused: considering froome inferior or superior to contador is perfectly normal. their palmares being on the line, where any point is valid.

And how would you rate 4 time GT winner to 7(9) GT winner? For me it's clear who superior is. And would you also support this poster claims that Froome is better GT rider than Indurain and Fausto Coppi :eek: ?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I tend to lean towards Froome's side. As enjoyable as the Giro/Vuelta are to watch they are just that tiny bit at a lower level than the TDF. I haven't seen a higher performance in back to backs GT's from any rider since Pantani as Froome has shown in both 2016/2017. Not to mention his GT's lost to riding as a domestique, though he's made up for that now.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
to the one who said i m new to cycling i have to remember you that you ignore the existence of the cycling hall of fame , so please inform yourself and then speak with me

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
we can discuss if those rankings are ridicoulos or not but they are made by the uci so it could be bad made , but for that ranking Froome is better than Contador , if the latter has 7 grand tour , if 9 Contador has 9990 points against the 9460 of Froome if he wins la vuelta , and i hope he doesn't win

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

miguelindurain111 said:
Lv426 said:
2014 we saw Bertie destroy Froome. That is the only time Froome has come up against a rival of that calibre.
Froome destroyed Contador in le Tour in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. In 2016 also in la Vuelta and looks like it is happening in this year too. Now waiting for excuses :lol:

2013 Contador was like Gordon Gekko released from prison being confronted with a whole new world. Or that lady fallen in coma during the DDR period waking up only after the fall of Die Mauer. I.e. he wasn't prepared to the Sky-train style of racing.

2015 Contador tried the magic double, but his crash in the Giro and later in the Tour affected him badly.

2016 Contador destroyed himself like in 2014 crashing and getting sick. In la Vuelta he crashed again and missed the form.

2017 Contador: crashing once (or twice) again.

But technically this is not about Alberto Contador, but about a peak Contador which was by far the best rival Froome has ever encountered (if not for 2015 Quintana being too conservative).

However I could agree that this kind of talk is great rubbish. Cycling has changed too much. Thanks for that, Sky-bots.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
however i sent an email to uci to made the ranking better because the tour victory is 1800 points 2nd 600 3rd 450
while giro d'italia is only 810 2n 270 3rd 210
vuelta espana only 720 2nd 240 3rd 180
It's rigged because the tour is to high while the giro and vuelta are too low

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
and let me explain better FROOME is better than contador for the stats of UCI , as i 'm seeing only few knows the existence of the cycling Hall of fame , ( PLEASE Google it ) but this rank say that , but of course i 'm not think that Contador is below Froome , THIS IS A QUESTION OF STATS OF UCI , so calm down it's just stats , and i say rigged stats

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
and i would like to recieve the apologize from the one define me a troll or new to cycling , thanks , i hope you understand that is just stats and as i said rigged stats but they are made by UCI and are the only one official rankings for all time cyclist and Froome is higher than Contador unfortunatly

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
and if you would like them to change email uci as i did because the points given to giro and vuelta are too low , while at letour are too high , it's not right that a tour victory is equal to more than 2 giro victory NO WAY ,if tour has 1800 points giro has to be 1500 points and vuelta 1200 , in that way Contador is higher than Froome even if Froome wins la vuelta and Contador has just 7 grand tours.

TRENDING THREADS