• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 518 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re:

glassmoon said:
Thing is, he clearly had to known in what shape he was and realized he can't think of winning it at that level. Or maybe he thought the fight won't start until the 2nd half (or final week) of the race...

I’ve seen other great champions claim to still have good form, claim that their build up in that season has worked out great, that their numbers are better than never. It seems to me like champions say these things even when they are clearly declining. I don’t think that they themselves really think they’re as good as ever. I also don’t think they’re really trying to lie… I don’t know what they’re thinking to be honest. Maybe it’s what they’re supposed to say to the media. Imagine them telling the whole world, yeah I’m not doing well this year, so you don’t have to worry about me in the grand tours where I’m supposed to shine. Let people think that even though you were slightly weaker than usual in the build up races, you’re still going to smash the competition when it really counts. The fear riders have of Froome might be the very thing causing them to be cautious and not attack him as ferociously as they would someone else.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
glassmoon said:
Thing is, he clearly had to known in what shape he was and realized he can't think of winning it at that level. Or maybe he thought the fight won't start until the 2nd half (or final week) of the race...

I’ve seen other great champions claim to still have good form, claim that their build up in that season has worked out great, that their numbers are better than never. It seems to me like champions say these things even when they are clearly declining. I don’t think that they themselves really think they’re as good as ever. I also don’t think they’re really trying to lie… I don’t know what they’re thinking to be honest. Maybe it’s what they’re supposed to say to the media. Imagine them telling the whole world, yeah I’m not doing well this year, so you don’t have to worry about me in the grand tours where I’m supposed to shine. Let people think that even though you were slightly weaker than usual in the build up races, you’re still going to smash the competition when it really counts. The fear riders have of Froome might be the very thing causing them to be cautious and not attack him as ferociously as they would someone else.

True. Although remember, during this past off season Valverde and his friends were trying to tell anyone who would listen that his numbers were just as good as before the crash and he was trying to tell everyone he was feeling the same as the previous off season with training and almost no one actually believed him and his friends.

Re:

Red Rick said:
He's going way too deep for this **** to be training.

Next two stages will decide. If he crumbles even more he might rethink continuing. He then misses a hard final week and gets more time than usual before the delayed Tour start this year and hopes for a good outcome in his case. The odds of him winning a stage in the final week if he doesn't show improvement on the next two stages are pretty minimal as are his chances of making the podium. If the outcome of the case doesn't go his way then the year is a write off and he can only hope to have a full season next year or most of a season and enough time to prepare for another tilt at the Tour.

However you feel about him I think you have to take your hat off to him today. That was a big gutsy effort and even if the time differences are negligible for the overall that's a big stage to add to the palmares. Who knows, a strong time trial and a gamble that pays off elsewhere or other riders having a bad day and its not completely out of the question.

Stage 18 couldn't be more perfect for Froome, and the shallow gradient by all accounts isn't great for Dumo, who doesn't have a very strong team to support him either. Yates might start fading. And stages 19 and 20 are perfect for longer range attacks. This has real potential to end up as one of the greatest Grand Tours of modern times

Re:

Eclipse said:
However you feel about him I think you have to take your hat off to him today. That was a big gutsy effort and even if the time differences are negligible for the overall that's a big stage to add to the palmares. Who knows, a strong time trial and a gamble that pays off elsewhere or other riders having a bad day and its not completely out of the question.

+1!

I was pretty sure he was going to wheelsuck to the top, at best, but when I saw him and Poels go to the front I figured he was on a good day. That's experience right there. And, made the race much more interesting.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Still I wonder how Froome will look at this in future perspective. He took 37 seconds on Dumoulin on the toughest climb of Europe. How well does that bode for a future TDF? There is no zonc there.
I think Dumoulin will struggle with his recovery more. Already during the final stages of last year’s Giro, he was struggling, while Froome managed to maintain his form through two GT’s. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves though.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. I'm not sure if this is the start or the end of Froome's GC intentions at the Giro.
Have a suspicion this was always the plan, target a trophy stage, show everyone what he's capable of so his Giro can be called a success of sorts, without taking too much out of himself by going all in for GC with the Tour the primary goal?

brownbobby said:
Tomorrow will be very interesting. I'm not sure if this is the start or the end of Froome's GC intentions at the Giro.
Have a suspicion this was always the plan, target a trophy stage, show everyone what he's capable of so his Giro can be called a success of sorts, without taking too much out of himself by going all in for GC with the Tour the primary goal?
He's here to win.
Now if he finishes 3rd, 5th, 10th....doesn't matter.
Its not a computer game.

brownbobby said:
I think he just came in undercooked and slightly overweight, and is now reaching something like a peak. Probably the muscle soreness from the crashes didn't help either. If he was just doing it as a stage hunting/conditioning thing, then surely he would have lost more time. Then he would have just been let up the road at any point he felt like attacking today, instead of still being seen as something of a GC threat. Also, he looked to be digging pretty deep in some of those earlier stages - a bit too deep if he's just here for miles in the legs.