• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 524 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Netserk said:
While I didn't like him one bit the first couple of years after his transformation, I now often have wildly varying feelings towards him, but today was quite clear. What a ride. What a champion. This was so, so impressive. A miraculous comeback, and a mighty determination. It is the hope of witnessing such displays that is a large part of why I watch cycling.

Probably the strongest will in today's cycling.
Well, I still don't like him as a person tbh. But I don't hate him by any means, and even if I did, Im sure I would be able to appreciate his effort today. Because if you don't, IMO, you are really not a real cycling fan. Because what he did today was amazing and something that happens very, very rarely. Of course the situation was perfect today, but still, not many had tried to go solo, its wildly different to what we have seen from Contador, Quintana and Nibali in the past where they have caught teammates in valleys etc and laid the foundations to victory. None of that happened today.

What a ride, and yes, what a champion.
Today's ride was self-explanatory.
Watching cycling makes me feel refined.

Valv.Piti said:
Netserk said:
While I didn't like him one bit the first couple of years after his transformation, I now often have wildly varying feelings towards him, but today was quite clear. What a ride. What a champion. This was so, so impressive. A miraculous comeback, and a mighty determination. It is the hope of witnessing such displays that is a large part of why I watch cycling.

Well, I still don't like him as a person tbh. But I don't hate him by any means, and even if I did, Im sure I would be able to appreciate his effort today. Because if you don't, IMO, you are really not a real cycling fan. Because what he did today was amazing and something that happens very, very rarely. Of course the situation was perfect today, but still, not many had tried to go solo, its wildly different to what we have seen from Contador, Quintana and Nibali in the past where they have caught teammates in valleys etc and laid the foundations to victory. None of that happened today.

What a ride, and yes, what a champion.

Agree 100%. Anybody who didn’t enjoy watching that today, who can’t give credit to that performance regardless of who they do or don’t support, anybody who’s first and only instinct is to throw unconstrained accusations....well you’ve really gotta wonder why they still bother with the sport.

DFA123 said:
Netserk said:

This. I haven't been a fan of him either, but this kind of show is surely why everyone watches cycling. At least for those who are a fan of the sport itself primarily, rather than of individual personalities.

All the snide clinic references and comments that this is bad for cycling are way misplaced imo. This is exactly the kind of action and drama that cycling needs. Dumoulin trudging his way along to a 3 minute win, despite never animating the race would have been bad for the sport and almost instantly forgotten. Like Wiggins 2012. This performance by Froome has elevated the whole Giro to legendary status.
I think a much better example would be Evans 2011. In fact, I think the stage today was very much like the Galibier stage back in '11, except that Froome lost nothing on the last climb and Andy lost over a minute

RedheadDane said:
Taxus4a said:
If he do the double again this year, it would be 4 GT in a row, historic. But this year in the Tour he will face 2 superclimbers in the same team....but there is a long flat forst week much better for him. Froome will put in this first week and the first mountain stage big time to the climbers.

Well, the other double, or the first double, except it'll be his second...
Are the Giro-Tour and the Tour-Vuelta doubles considered equal?

It depends the rivals, IMO, It is a little bit difficult the double with the Giro, but if you face in the Vuelta people as Contador or Chaves in a good level and fresher like you is IMO more difficult than to face in the Giro people who are not climbers as Doumoulin. Finestre is not Morcuera.

I think Froome with luck, not as this year in the Giro, could face Giro Tour and Vuelta with possibilities. He is mentally and fisicallystrong for that, but you need luck and no face any big rival with better luck than your at his best level n one of those races.

Re:

Netserk said:

A come back from where? :surprised: He won his last GT, the Vuelta..,

This year he said he will try Giro and Tour double.

So he said he will start the Giro not at his best, and of course the spring quite easy. Even though he did quite good result on the spring.

He has a complicated crahs the first day, he could go on, nothing broken and nothing important, but of course that limited his performance the first part of the Giro. But he was improving, specially after the rest days, as it is logical after a crash, it is the day you can recover and bend the injuries. He didnt lose too much time.

He is not specially good in hard climbs as Zoncolan respect pure climbers and he won that stage, so he was close to his best there. He lost time next day becouse the rain and becouse he was still paying all his problems. After the rest day he did a good ITT, close to his best, ad he was improving. He had to attack in the Finestre to win, he did and he put the time he needed becouse nobody was strong enough to face that attack...when he attacked Yates was losing time and it was a group of 20...it not an impossible attack for a diesel as him, the race was quite destroyed and he culd destroy it much more in the summit of the Finestre. He is not explosive , he can keep and attack for long.

So, I am sorry, but HE DIDNT COME BACK, and less a miracoulous come back... He has came back to the good result after the Vuelta, yes, as it was planned.,at the end of the Giro, the days when the Giro is won traditionally, NO MORE.

Taxus4a said:
Netserk said:

So he said he will start the Giro not at his best, and of course the spring quite easy. Even though he did quite good result on the spring.

He has a complicated crahs the first day, he could go on, nothing broken and nothing important, but of course that limited his performance the first part of the Giro. But he was improving, specially after the rest days, as it is logical after a crash, it is the day you can recover and bend the injuries. He didnt lose too much time.

He is not specially good in hard climbs as Zoncolan respect pure climbers and he won that stage, so he was close to his best there. He lost time next day becouse the rain and becouse he was still paying all his problems. After the rest day he did a good ITT, close to his best, ad he was improving. He had to attack in the Finestre to win, he did and he put the time he needed becouse nobody was strong enough to face that attack...when he attacked Yates was losing time and it was a group of 20...it not an impossible attack for a diesel as him, the race was quite destroyed and he culd destroy it much more in the summit of the Finestre. He is not explosive , he can keep and attack for long.

So, I am sorry, but HE DIDNT COME BACK, and less a miracoulous come back... He has came back to the good result after the Vuelta, yes, as it was planned.,at the end of the Giro, the days when the Giro is won traditionally, NO MORE.

I think you answer your own question.

I have no idea why you begin yelling that he didn't make a comeback when four days ago, he was 7th in the standings, 5 minutes behind the leader and then went on to clearly make one of the biggest comebacks of the recent history of cycling.

tobydawq said:
Taxus4a said:
Netserk said:

I think you answer your own question.

I have no idea why you begin yelling that he didn't make a comeback when four days ago, he was 7th in the standings, 5 minutes behind the leader and then went on to clearly make one of the biggest comebacks of the recent history of cycling.

He did a good ITT, close to Domoulin, current World Champion. He was the man who dropped Yates yesterday with his attack..If you consider he did comeback, if was gradually. Of course if you are supposed to be at yout bst at the end of the race and you havae a crash the forst day your are going to be stronger after the last rest day, and other people who started very well or who are no so good for 3 weeks are weaker.

Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I think it is about fair to put froomey in the ranks of Hinault and merckx. What a grandeur.
You forgot Armstrong, Fearless Greg Lemond :D .

Masterpiece, a stage for the ages. I'm speechless. Which Froome will we see tomorrow? The day after Zoncolan, he was pretty bad. My mind says he's got it in the bag, my heart screams "hell no!", we have seen so many crazy things that if I were a Froome fan, I would not open the Prosecco just yet.

I have to correct myself after watching again the attack. When Froome attacked, Elissonde had put a high pace that put the group in 5 people...so everything was destroyed, some Km of Finestre remainig to make a gap..and no lot of domestiques predicted to be at less than 5 minutes from him on the summit..
So the attack it wanst a madness... Domoulin is not a man for a 4500 m stage with clibs as finestre.. he is not going to be better than Froome in the false flats just becouse he is a little bit better trialist. That was for the previous stage, he could get Pratonevoso less tired than Froome, that way he climbed as the level Froome did, but not after to climb an important climb at the start and to climb a 18 Km at 9 % climb, that is a giant. As well to pass over 2000 meters. And Domoulin needed to save energie for the last climb, more than Fropme or another riders, a climb for climbers.

Tonton said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I think it is about fair to put froomey in the ranks of Hinault and merckx. What a grandeur.
You forgot Armstrong, Fearless Greg Lemond :D .

Masterpiece, a stage for the ages. I'm speechless. Which Froome will we see tomorrow? The day after Zoncolan, he was pretty bad. My mind says he's got it in the bag, my heart screams "hell no!", we have seen so many crazy things that if I were a Froome fan, I would not open the Prosecco just yet.

That day it was raining and he is improving his shape. If tomorrow rain, Domoulin, who is bad with rain as well, culd even put some second on him in the worse situation...If it doesnt rain I think no problem for Froome to get his attacks. Domoulin have to take risk, but as well second is not a bad result for him.. so I dont know if he need to get crazy on the descents or something like that.

Froome and Sky are like a professional team beating up a little league team except their rivals are professionals as well.

To do what he did with what he showed before is silly even taking into account last year. If it is anything like Zoncloan he will have a bad day tomorrow.

I can't imagine an effort like today not taking a toll tomorrow. The only question is: how much toll did today take on Dumoulin?

Tomorrow's stage could be crazy, last chance for a stage win, there's enough climbing to shred Sky before the final climb. It's not over.

Tonton said:
I can't imagine an effort like today not taking a toll tomorrow. The only question is: how much toll did today take on Dumoulin?

Tomorrow's stage could be crazy, last chance for a stage win, there's enough climbing to shred Sky before the final climb. It's not over.

Might be too many wanting to hold their positions now but it's been a crazy race no doubt with ups and downs on a daily basis. I expect Sky to do a better job of controlling the race at least for one stage than Michelton who I think were starting to look tired collectively. Michelton have still had a great race. The last week was always going to test Michelton and Yates even though I didn't expect what happened yesterday from Froome or Yates.