• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 526 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 19 20.9%

• Total voters
Froome is just too good. That's why he can afford to go into a TDF undercooked and still win like last year. That allows him to win two GT in a year. He did the same trick this Giro. The fall made things tricky but in the final week he showed he is just too strong. He is so much stronger than even the second best it's not even funny.

Bernal is the only hope left..but he rides for the same team

Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Congratulations, without a doubt the strongest GC rider since Hinault.

We should come to converging definitions of the word "Strong" first but accomplishments-wise, Indurain with his 7 GT Wins, 9 podiums, Olympic gold, World championship, Multiple Worlds road race podiums stands higher IMHO.
GC

Still 5 tours 2 Giros ( 2 doubles) is more than 4 Tours 1 Giro and 1 Vuelta.
Froome is ahead podium-wise but GT wins are heavier stones in the balance
Froome has at least another 3 years at top level and 4-5 GT wins in him. The next one is coming this July.

LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Ataraxus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Congratulations, without a doubt the strongest GC rider since Hinault.

We should come to converging definitions of the word "Strong" first but accomplishments-wise, Indurain with his 7 GT Wins, 9 podiums, Olympic gold, World championship, Multiple Worlds road race podiums stands higher IMHO.
GC

Still 5 tours 2 Giros ( 2 doubles) is more than 4 Tours 1 Giro and 1 Vuelta.
Froome is ahead podium-wise but GT wins are heavier stones in the balance
Froome has at least another 3 years at top level and 4-5 GT wins in him. The next one is coming this July.
I don't think so. I don't think Froome will win GTs past 2019

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
This is hilarious. I think people have been claiming his inevitable decline will be next your for four years running now. At some point the cognitive disconnect and ignorance got so big they started saying that the Tour-Vuelta double, his most successful season ever, was somehow proof of the predicted decline.

Congratulations to Froome. After targeting the double, I was on the record saying I didnt think he would win a GT ever again. Turns out I was dead wrong. Lets see if he can replicate this climbing level in the Tour from the last week - if he can, he will be extremely hard to beat.

Chapeau. Will forever remember his legendary ride over Finestre, Sestrere and Jafferau.

With the strength of his team, he is probably the favourite to win the Tour if he is allowed to start. He can probably afford to defend all the way in the mountains like last year. If only for that, I hope he either doesn't start or loses time early in the race.

Re:

Netserk said:
With the strength of his team, he is probably the favourite to win the Tour if he is allowed to start. He can probably afford to defend all the way in the mountains like last year. If only for that, I hope he either doesn't start or loses time early in the race.
He definitely will be the favourite if he starts, but not by a huge margin or anything like that. There are lots of possible winners this year IMO.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I predicted Froome to win this Giro by a country mile, he didnt but he proved he is a country mile better than any other GT GC contender. He has it all.

If he starts the Tour, barring injury or illness he will win !

Re:

Netserk said:
With his antics this weekend, I kinda get the feeling the closer wins last year were just faking it and knowing he could never lose.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
With his antics this weekend, I kinda get the feeling the closer wins last year were just faking it and knowing he could never lose.

Really? You can genuinely believe that? That's just mind blowing to me.

Was he also playing the long con when he finished 4x2nd in GT's? Just faking it so he could come back and win in the next years?

possibly the climbing level froome maintains during last two stages hints that he had capacity to climb somewhat better in the 2016 and 2017 Tours, but with the Vuelta in mind, the emphasis was made on time trialing and tempo riding iwth a help of train. i suspect this time he hoped to win the giro the same way, but a sequence of misfortunes left him nothing but digging extremely deep and going all in the mountains.

Re:

Koronin said:
The brazenness of what he pulled in this Giro, I have no respect at all for him. The sad part is he's actually made me actually respect Lance as a racer. That is NOT something I had thought anyone could actually do.
You didn't respect Lance for his performances but your favourite rider is Valverde?
:lol: :lol:

silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:
The brazenness of what he pulled in this Giro, I have no respect at all for him. The sad part is he's actually made me actually respect Lance as a racer. That is NOT something I had thought anyone could actually do.
You didn't respect Lance for his performances but your favourite rider is Valverde?

I have some major issues with Lance and well truthfully still do. He's not exactly a very nice person. Lance good racer, horrible person and thus not much respect for him as racer or person. However, at this point as a racer more respect. Respect is different from acknowledging someone is a good racer.

silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:
giphy.gif

Koronin said:
silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:

I have some major issues with Lance and well truthfully still do. He's not exactly a very nice person. Lance good racer, horrible person and thus not much respect for him as racer or person. However, at this point as a racer more respect. Respect is different from acknowledging someone is a good racer.
So if I understand correctly you respect all of these guys' performances. But apparently you don't respect Froome for the person he is. According to you then, he's not a very nice person.

Let me break it out to you. All champions are ruthless. They are the top 0.00001 percent of the top 1 percent. They didn't get there by being nice. They got there by determination and will to win.

Also don't understand how what Froome did makes you respect Lance as a person more.

silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:
silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:

So if I understand correctly you respect all of these guys' performances. But apparently you don't respect Froome for the person he is. According to you then, he's not a very nice person.

Let me break it out to you. All champions are ruthless. They are the top 0.00001 percent of the top 1 percent. They didn't get there by being nice. They got there by determination and will to win.

Also don't understand how what Froome did makes you respect Lance as a person more.

As I said person vs racer are different things. I still don't respect the person Lance is only respect more the racer he was. Froome I don't have respect for as a racer after the brazen attack he pulled yesterday and then no signs that he even rode hard today. Person vs racer can be separated.