• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 561 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

del1962 said:
tretiak said:
I say one thing. Sky Train dependant as hell.

In 2013 when the train fell apart he did ok, 2 injured, 1 pushed off the road, on his own with plenty of others

You are looking for needles in a haystack. Would be interesting to see which climbing stages like Sky train did not completely dominate the last 6-7 years especially TDF stages.

tretiak said:
del1962 said:
tretiak said:

In 2013 when the train fell apart he did ok, 2 injured, 1 pushed off the road, on his own with plenty of others

You are looking for needles in a haystack. Would be interesting to see which climbing stages like Sky train did not completely.

Nope it just sows he is not dependent on Sky Train, he obviously benefits from teammates (as every organised team s leader does and most times they are a strong team) but 2013 wasn't a particularly strong team, just Froome was superstrong that year, his best Tour performance

del1962 said:
tretiak said:
del1962 said:
tretiak said:

You are looking for needles in a haystack. Would be interesting to see which climbing stages like Sky train did not completely.

Nope it just sows he is not dependent on Sky Train, he obviously benefits from teammates (as every organised team s leader does and most times they are a strong team) but 2013 wasn't a particularly strong team, just Froome was superstrong that year, his best Tour performance

So you mean that 1 year show that he is not Sky Train dependant? Ridiculous!

tretiak said:
del1962 said:
tretiak said:
del1962 said:
tretiak said:

So you mean that 1 year show that he is not Sky Train dependant? Ridiculous!

Not sure you understand how cycling works, but no matter how good the train is if you can't deliver at the end of the day you don't win bike races

All this talk about trains: a lot of the big GC stage winners had them. US Postal/Discovery, CSC/Saxo Bank, Astana etc.

I remember Contador's mountain goats train dropping riders consistently. Schleck had his train, too.

Even Movistar's "train" isolated Froome in a previous Tour and they couldn't drop him.

Savant12 said:
All this talk about trains: a lot of the big GC stage winners had them. US Postal/Discovery, CSC/Saxo Bank, Astana etc.

I remember Contador's mountain goats train dropping riders consistently. Schleck had his train, too.

Even Movistar's "train" isolated Froome in a previous Tour and they couldn't drop him.

All the other GC riders sit at the back of SKY's train when their own trains have derailed anyway, so you could say that SKY's rivals have a bigger train than SKY's leaders! All aboard! :D :D

wheresmybrakes said:
Savant12 said:

All the other GC riders sit at the back of SKY's train when their own trains have derailed anyway, so you could say that SKY's rivals have a bigger train than SKY's leaders! All aboard! :D :D

Agreed, the train can save you to a certain extent if your having a bad day, but to actually win you’ve still got to be strong enough when the train is done.

Savant12 said:

what? Please point out when Contador had an actual "train" instead of just one or two climbing domestiques pushing the pace. An occasion after 2009 please.

LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:

what? Please point out when Contador had an actual "train" instead of just one or two climbing domestiques pushing the pace. An occasion after 2009 please.
Into the “what if” file, but given how Tinkoff did as a team after his injury in 2014 (3 stage wins for Rogers and Majka, polka dot for Majka, Roche and others driving breaks and picking up top 10s in stages), especially when compared with how Sky did (Porte cracked completely, Thomas was quiet, they were barely seen in breaks, never threatened for stage wins) you’d have to think he could have had quite a strong train going if he had made it to the mountains.

LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:

Dani Navarro and the rest of the team in 2010 was quite good, specifically over Madeleine, but also to Avoriaz when Schleck won and Contador had a pretty bad day.

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Moviefan1203 said:
del1962 said:
Whats really impressed me about Chris is that he is genuinely happy for G, even with the disappointment of not winning himself , Chapeau

Showing a lot of humility and class.
So that's why they were singing derogatory songs about Movistar?

"We symphatize with Quintana whose team was doomed to fail"

Really? :lol: If that's counts as derogatory then Im lost, couldn't get more light hearted then that

MuskyOurSaviour said:
Red Rick said:
Moviefan1203 said:
del1962 said:
Whats really impressed me about Chris is that he is genuinely happy for G, even with the disappointment of not winning himself , Chapeau

Showing a lot of humility and class.
So that's why they were singing derogatory songs about Movistar?

"We symphatize with Quintana whose team was doomed to fail"

Really? :lol: If that's counts as derogatory then Im lost, couldn't get more light hearted then that

Only echoing the thoughts of many watching the Tour and the crazy tactics employed by Movistar yet again.

Leinster said:
LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:

Into the “what if” file, but given how Tinkoff did as a team after his injury in 2014 (3 stage wins for Rogers and Majka, polka dot for Majka, Roche and others driving breaks and picking up top 10s in stages), especially when compared with how Sky did (Porte cracked completely, Thomas was quiet, they were barely seen in breaks, never threatened for stage wins) you’d have to think he could have had quite a strong train going if he had made it to the mountains.

I think that was the Tour Porte became sick after Froome pulled out. No falls that year but it till didn't help him. Sky certainly bounced back the next year.

LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:

Yeah I think Contador had some good domestiques but didn't use them the way CSC, US Postal and Sky used them. There was always one or two of the same riders with Contador like Rogers but unlike Sky, most of the time he had no team mates towards the finish in the mountains. In 2013 Kreuziger looked better than he did and the team probably made a mistake not letting Kreuziger ride his own race that year. Could have cost him a podium. The only time I remember Kreuziger looking good for the duration of a grand tour. Rogers was a handy GC rider but became a better stage hunter. He was looking really good in the 2007 Tour before he crashed out and he looked like taking over the yellow jersey. Rogers was a very good domestique for Froome and Contador so he probably has some interesting anecdotes ! What a team Wiggins had in 2012 with Porte, Rogers, Froome, Thomas, Kyrienka and on and on........

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Savant12 said:

Dani Navarro and the rest of the team in 2010 was quite good, specifically over Madeleine, but also to Avoriaz when Schleck won and Contador had a pretty bad day.
Aye Dani was class that race, but it looks rather bland when compared to the Sky train and the way they neutralize any racing in the mountains.

TRENDING THREADS