• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 559 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
I said it after La Vuelta last year and was proved to be spectacularly wrong, but the Giro was his last GT. Just gonna continue each season to state that and chances are I will be right some day.

I reckon he's got another 2-3 GT wins in him
He is 33, he definitely doeesnt have 3 GTs in him.
I would say this.

But then in late 2016 I laughed at the notion of Federer winning Grand Slams again. Difference is that GC cycling got tougher while men's tennis broke down.

I'd say a Tour and a Giro/Vuelta is not unrealistic in the slightest over the next couple of years, and then after that he should still be capable of winning a Vuelta where he's the only one that properly makes it his main season objective

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
He could have won the Tour 7 times in a row with better luck and a team devoted only to him. He had a Tour-winning level of performance every year since 2012

SeriousSam said:
rPOFLOE.png
Froomey is now at eight consecutive years with a first or second place
finish in a Grand Tour. I think Hinault has a nine year run with a first or
second in a GT and Eddy has an eight year run too, but 11 years with
a top two in a Monument! :surprised: I'm not sure how all the other greats rate.
I looked at this after chatting with an analytics guy from another sport.

Worth baring in mind also that Froome was arguably looking good to win the Vuelta in 2015 too, given how weak everyone else was in the end, and obviously Tour 2014 was his to lose as well

This has been the first grand tour since Vuelta 2014 where Froome hasn't been debatably the strongest rider in the race (and I guess Giro 2018, but to win despite his heavy crash, he probably woulda been stronger than Yates and Dumo without the crash)

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
When a rider is in decline the hypothetical GT wins start to count
When a rider achieves his fourth GT podium in a row, after three consecutive wins, people start speculating about a rider being in decline. (NB may not be true: it hasn't happened very often and I'm not old enough to remember the last time.)

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Worth baring in mind also that Froome was arguably looking good to win the Vuelta in 2015 too, given how weak everyone else was in the end, and obviously Tour 2014 was his to lose as well

This has been the first grand tour since Vuelta 2014 where Froome hasn't been debatably the strongest rider in the race (and I guess Giro 2018, but to win despite his heavy crash, he probably woulda been stronger than Yates and Dumo without the crash)

Yes, and I would count also TdF 1966 and Giro 1918

Still wouldn’t call myself a fan, but he’s gradually worn me down with his doomed persistence in Vuelta 2014, his downhill attack and sojourn off the front with Sagan in 2015, his run up Ventoux in 2016, his attack from super far in the Giro, and his grittiness in the Tour while clearly far from his best. I have to say, the only person in the horizon with his champion’s mentality is *possibly* Dumoulin, who doesn’t have quite the killer instinct of Froome. 1/3 double is pretty incredible. He looked a little tired but didn’t lose minutes on climbs like Contador and Quintana. Very impressive.

VayaVayaVaya said:
Still wouldn’t call myself a fan, but he’s gradually worn me down with his doomed persistence in Vuelta 2014, his downhill attack and sojourn off the front with Sagan in 2015, his run up Ventoux in 2016, his attack from super far in the Giro, and his grittiness in the Tour while clearly far from his best. I have to say, the only person in the horizon with his champion’s mentality is *possibly* Dumoulin, who doesn’t have quite the killer instinct of Froome. 1/3 double is pretty incredible. He looked a little tired but didn’t lose minutes on climbs like Contador and Quintana. Very impressive.

Don’t forget that he always is Sky train dependant. His legacy would be much greater if that wasn’t the fact.

tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

Don’t forget that he always is Sky train dependant. His legacy would be much greater if that wasn’t the fact.
Every GC rider would love the sky train, it’s been proved it’s the best way to win grand tours

tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

As a Contador fan, I wish he had had the benefit of the Sky train (edited by mod) and believe his palmares would have been even better. However, as an objective observer, Froome has done plenty away from the Sky train with big attacks, superior descending, and crafty racing. I think he easily could have won Vuelta 2011, Tour 2012 if not for Sky team objectives and might have lost a couple Tours to Contador if the teams had been reversed. Anyways, I think Froome’s legacy is strong and deserves to be in the echelon with Indurain and Contador a notch below Hinault and Merckx, IMO. All have reasons to visit the clinic so I see no reason to discriminate in that grounds.

rick james said:
tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

Every GC rider would love the sky train, it’s been proved it’s the best way to win grand tours
Nobody denies it gets the best results. It's just that Froome would probably be seen in a more positive light if he had the same results without having the team he has had every race. And I'm not arguing against his palmares, but it's just a lot less enjoyable to watch, and not somethinig many people enjoy remembering 20 years down the line.

brownbobby said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

As a Contador fan, I wish he had had the benefit of the Sky train (edited by mod) and believe his palmares would have been even better. However, as an objective observer, Froome has done plenty away from the Sky train with big attacks, superior descending, and crafty racing. I think he easily could have won Vuelta 2011, Tour 2012 if not for Sky team objectives and might have lost a couple Tours to Contador if the teams had been reversed. Anyways, I think Froome’s legacy is strong and deserves to be in the echelon with Indurain and Contador a notch below Hinault and Merckx, IMO. All have reasons to visit the clinic so I see no reason to discriminate in that grounds.

edited by mod
Let's not go there.

Red Rick said:
brownbobby said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

edited by mod
Let's not go there.

Apologies, my bad :redface:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
VayaVayaVaya said:
tretiak said:
VayaVayaVaya said:

That is just silly.

In the 5 tours they rode together Froome won 4. The closest Contador got to Froome was over 6 mins. His second best Tour was 9 minutes behind Froome. Since Contador won the 2009 against no competition his best placement on a mountain top finish cat 2 or higher when not in a breakawaywas 6th place. He simply was not able to ride with the top riders on a MTF.

Contador was not a competitor to Froome he was just another guy fighting for a top 10. No comparison. Better to compare Contador to Mollema but Mollema has ridden better at the Tour the last 9 years.

Contador rode in a time when the field was depleted and riders who could not compete for top 10s today were winning like Perrerro, Sastre, Rasmussen and Evan's. The field was si weak even Voekler was riding GC, getting 4tg in the tour dropping Contador on all the climbs.

TRENDING THREADS