• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
I disagree with that because Froome has lost time to Contador on 3 stages ( that is not bonus seconds related ), whilst Contador has only once.

@Jimmy Fingers: I do not know if Sky have abandoned their hopes of a sprint for Swift, Stannard led him out- to sprint for 7th place.

@Webvan: He may have Uran/ Henao but JROD has Moreno as well, he seems just as good.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
I disagree with that because Froome has lost time to Contador on 3 stages ( that is not bonus seconds related ), whilst Contador has only once.

@Jimmy Fingers: I do not know if Sky have abandoned their hopes of a sprint for Swift, Stannard led him out- to sprint for 7th place.

@Webvan: He may have Uran/ Henao but JROD has Moreno as well, he seems just as good.

In Andorra he rode badly from a tactical pov and two days ago it was a stage lost before the Vuelta started because it's brutal course didn't suit him.

I concede the ITT was a little defeat but he just lost 22 seconds with Contador.

In theory Contador is the favourite but it shouldn't be a surprise if Froome reveals as the strongest. His deficit is 38 secs to Contador and 51 secs to Purito.

Forunculo said:
In Andorra he rode badly from a tactical pov and two days ago it was a stage lost before the Vuelta started because it's brutal course didn't suit him.

I concede the ITT was a little defeat but he just lost 22 seconds with Contador.

In theory Contador is the favourite but it shouldn't be a surprise if Froome reveals as the strongest. His deficit is 38 secs to Contador and 51 secs to Purito.

Your pessimism is annoying cause it makes me sad.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Your pessimism is annoying cause it makes me sad.

Actually I'm pretty optimistic about Contador.;):p

-He has time on Froome (What i thought it could be the opposite, two weeks ago).

-Sky and Saxo has the potential to pace the mountains and decimate Purito. (JV stated in recents days Hesjedal didn't reach 6.1 W/Kg on climbs over 25 minutes and sometimes Purito was distanced by Hesjedal)

-The weather is colder right now in Spain, mostly in the north. (Contador suffered cramps over 40º degrees).

-Contador is the most fresher rider and should be better this week, Froome shouldn't be better than he had been and likely he can go worse.

-Contador has scouted every single stage in Asturias and Bola del Mundo, he must have several plans deppendings the circumstances unlike the others.

-You underrated Contador a lot, when he wasn't the strongest he finds a way to finnish better than his rival (versus Schleck on Tourmalet 2010, or Andorra a week ago with Froome)

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
greenedge said:

I think placing Flecha in the break was a great move yesterday, and it also said they thought they'd have a better chance of a breakaway win that a sprint with Swift. He is a good sprinter Swift but his legs have deserted him.

Also gave the team a day off apart the 'look after the leader' duties, so hopefully some rest for Froome

I don't know that it was a pride attack. It wasn't stupid. Had me worried for a second. After all, after the initial attacks, Contador, Purito and Valverde had been riding on the front answering accelerations and decelerations, while Froome had been dropped but had come back thanks to consistent pacing from Rigo. He was probably in the best position to attack, though it was kind of silly to do it immediately upon arrival. Then again, with it ramping up again he perhaps thought that his best chance. It wasn't bad tactics or just salvaging pride, so much as trying to intimidate the contenders and take advantage of what little remained of his legs for the day.

Remember in last year's Vuelta a couple of times we were hearing of him being dropped in penultimate climbs a lot, only for him to then be unstoppable on the final one? Maybe a Froome not in hilarious-peak form needs a few climbs to warm the engine, and these one-climb stages are not to his liking (even though this was by far the most strenuous stage to date, with five categorised).

That move lost him nearly 30 seconds on Valverde in 1km though, so very silly in hindsight, just as silly as his Toussuire attack or Peyragudes showboating, he needs to grow a brain.

I guess Uran was shot since he lost 2+ minutes in 1k but maybe he could have paced him a bit longer, instead all his (and Henao's) hard work was just useless, again...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
That move lost him nearly 30 seconds on Valverde in 1km though, so very silly in hindsight, just as silly as his Toussuire attack or Peyragudes showboating, he needs to grow a brain.

I guess Uran was shot since he lost 2+ minutes in 1k but maybe he could have paced him a bit longer, instead all his (and Henao's) hard work was just useless, again...

agree, he seems riding very impulsively. Maybe at that moment he felt he had the legs to go all the way to the finish line then just decided to go and then in the middle found out he did not have the legs. At least this is consistent with his tour riding style. Maybe he is still lack of GT experience after all he only bursted into the scene in last year Vuelta.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Chris Froome ‏@chrisfroome
For company I've got @nicholasroche @alejanvalverde & @albertocontador (and a pilot who's sticking to the flight plan)

A1uX9PCCEAEEt8H.jpg:large

webvan said:

LOL yeah. I love this guy, but he's been throwing away his podium chances these past few days with these brain dead Hoogerland tactics.

TRENDING THREADS