• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 721 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 59 57.3%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.3%

• Total voters
He´s better also in the itt, even if he finished on 64 th, at 3 min from ganna. He lost 1 min and 30 seconds to people like vingegaard, ayuso, kwiatkwoski. Last year, he lost the same amount of time to vingegaard and kwiatkowski on a itt of 16 km.
Week by week he is closing the distance to the gc favourites. A stage win in the tour could be possible. And if he continues to improve, he will fight for the victory on la vuelta.
Eh........

He´s better also in the itt, even if he finished on 64 th, at 3 min from ganna. He lost 1 min and 30 seconds to people like vingegaard, ayuso, kwiatkwoski. Last year, he lost the same amount of time to vingegaard and kwiatkowski on a itt of 16 km.
Week by week he is closing the distance to the gc favourites. A stage win in the tour could be possible. And if he continues to improve, he will fight for the victory on la vuelta.

Week by week he will be ready in 2037

He is 3 minutes before Roglic..possible final winner. He just have to be at those same 3 minutes, because of course 10th will be at more than 3 minutes of the winner. Of course that looks inpossible, but with 2 minutes more lost with Roglic I think he will be top ten ..lasts climb is really hard... that way I said will be difficult..but not impossible...He could pass all those people in those 2 stages...but more likely he won't be top 20...less than top 25 for me would be disappointing now..but anyway meritable all what he is doing.

I bet you a dinner he will be better than Van Aert at GC...despite he has been second at Tirreno.

I like seafood. ;)

Think he will ship about 20/30 minutes at the weekend. Still a million miles off.

He's not getting better. He's just got a level of performance which like other riders (whether they're the best or the worst) fluctuates based on his legs on that particular day, race & route profile.

In Froome's case his level seems to be alternating between finishing 120th, 80th or 40th without any consistent improvement from one race (or year) to another. He's got the endurance to be a pro-cyclist but that's about it. He can finish races in the pack but as soon as the actual racing starts (a change of pace, usually), he drops.

i don't expect him to ever win another race.

however i do not get the hate and need to ridicule.

also, in this politically correct and inclusive world, I feel it lacked something, some sympathy element) (so maybe not signing for Sky) that would have resulted in the white Kenyan guy inspired by a black Kenyan cyclist trailblazer, starting his pro career in South Africa, coming to Europe at the UCI world cycling center, making his way up to higher ranks and winning the TDF....
it could have all hanged on a little detail and we'd have a fan fav rider.

also, in this politically correct and inclusive world, I feel it lacked something, some sympathy element) (so maybe not signing for Sky) that would have resulted in the white Kenyan guy inspired by a black Kenyan cyclist trailblazer, starting his pro career in South Africa, coming to Europe at the UCI world cycling center, making his way up to higher ranks and winning the TDF....
it could have all hanged on a little detail and we'd have a fan fav rider.
You can’t remove/change a big part of someone’s career and expect the same results.

i don't expect him to ever win another race.

however i do not get the hate and need to ridicule.

i give him credit for trying to make the comeback and wish him well. unfortunately, i just do not think any quantifiable success is at the end of this effort other than managing to complete pro races.
Maybe he gets ridiculed because he keeps giving *** excuses and claiming he'll get better anyday now while reportedly being one of the 2 highest earning riders in the peloton and all he can do is stay within the time limit.

Chris Froome is not even the leading Israel rider in the race now.
He plummeted 23 places in the General Classification and is 1min32sec behind team mate Omer Goldstein.
There was a Cat 4 bump 13.5km from the finish as the peloton chased down the day's breakaway that was a 1.8km climb at 5.6%.
Is this where Froome was dropped?
If so. Disappointing.

Chris Froome is not even the leading Israel rider in the race now.
He plummeted 23 places in the General Classification and is 1min32sec behind team mate Omer Goldstein.
There was a Cat 4 bump 13.5km from the finish as the peloton chased down the day's breakaway that was a 1.8km climb at 5.6%.
Is this where Froome was dropped?
If so. Disappointing.
It is the same for me . I couldnt see the stagem, Just results.
I need to read abort and watch the stage.
One possibility is that he was helping Clark to get a goof result (he was not bad today). another is that the team though abut just get stages here and his oportunities are last 2 days...so, better save energy.

Gut in that case I am dissapointing with the team...I hope the team helped him to get a good result, even a top 20.

I could be a mechanical or something like that...or maybe a bad day, but Ir would be difficult to understand he lost that time.