• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 720 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 58 57.4%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
Not a good ITT IMO. it was his best flat ITT since the crash, and the best of the team (what a weak team at Dauphine compared at Suisse), but I hoped at least a top 50. He is now better on the mountains than at ITT. It is what happened if he didn't work the discipline as far as I know last year...although he did past week...I will watch the ITT, but I think he will have to improve a little more position. Next time will be better. Anyway he is at less than 4 minutes to the leader and he has still options for a top ten if he is at the end at the level I think. Not easy, the level of the 20 better riders is hight here. I hope the team focus on that..I think the better option for them to get UCI points.

IF, (big IF) Chris Froome can improve his km/h in a TT like this by 5% then he becomes a solid top ten finisher.
IF (another big IF) he is honest about continuing improvement and a higher level being achievable then this would be a realistic possibility.

Reading the latest comments I assumed Chris Froome's TT today at the Dauphine was an absolute disaster.
It wasn't.
Decent times today were within 38.00mins and Froome was outside that at 38.38mins.
Not great admittedly, but not poor either.
He had the best time on his Israel team, two seconds better than their own national TT champion.
Yes, we know he is down on power, Chris Froome says that himself, but do we really need the pile-on when he fails to match the performances of the top riders?
Depends on one's bias. It was a pretty crap TT given his goals, background, etc. But only a disaster if you thought he would be better or in the running for the W. Brandon M ... now there was a disaster :p

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not a good ITT IMO. it was his best flat ITT since the crash, and the best of the team (what a weak team at Dauphine compared at Suisse), but I hoped at least a top 50. He is now better on the mountains than at ITT. It is what happened if he didn't work the discipline as far as I know last year...although he did past week...I will watch the ITT, but I think he will have to improve a little more position. Next time will be better. Anyway he is at less than 4 minutes to the leader and he has still options for a top ten if he is at the end at the level I think. Not easy, the level of the 20 better riders is hight here. I hope the team focus on that..I think the better option for them to get UCI points.
I'd love to hear how you think he passes 28 riders to get into the top 10. Echelons where 28 guys miss the front group? Mass crash he somehow avoids? Solo break?

Time for one of Sir Dave Brailsford's favourite subjects: "pseudo science."

Let's compare Chris Froome's TT performance today vs Wout Van Aert and with the same Belgian rider at two similar-length TT's at last year's Tour de France.

Dauphine (8.6.22) : 31.9km : Froome : 49.5 km/h
Van Aert : 53.8 km/h

Tour de France (17.7.21) : 30.8km : Froome : 44.6 km/h
Van Aert : 51.5 km/h

Tour de France (30.6.21) : 27.2km : Froome : 44.9 km/h
Van Aert : 50.2 km/h

Conclusion : At the Tour de France TT's Froome was first 5.3 km/h slower than Van Aert and secondly 6.9 km/h slower.

Today, Froome was 4.3 km/h slower.

On the plus side Froome has closed the gap, but is it really significant? Dare I say his "marginal gain" is too small for fans of the 'Magic Kenyan' like myself to get too excited about.
I think, sadly it is.

Last edited:
I've had a brief look at other similar-length, flattish TTs in Chris Froome's history.
If he is ever going to "get back to my old level" then one benchmark is his legendary Mont-Saint-Michel 33 km TT at the 2013 Tour de France.
There, he averaged an incredible 53.9 km/h.
Today, he averaged 49.5 km/h over 31.9 km.
When you start seeing the former speed figure then you will know he is truly BACK!

The TT result was OK. In the light of his recent upward trend it fits well. If he had performed far better it would become too incredible and we would all be complaining about that.

I think he is on the up but that is not based on much. The weekend stages will tell us more again. If all keeps consistently going up, 2022 will be a good deposit in the bank toward next season at most. IF all that happens he might win something relevant to his stature of old again next season or maybe, maybe even end of this season. Lot of IFs and BUTs though.

Reactions: Taxus4a
He´s better also in the itt, even if he finished on 64 th, at 3 min from ganna. He lost 1 min and 30 seconds to people like vingegaard, ayuso, kwiatkwoski. Last year, he lost the same amount of time to vingegaard and kwiatkowski on a itt of 16 km.
Week by week he is closing the distance to the gc favourites. A stage win in the tour could be possible. And if he continues to improve, he will fight for the victory on la vuelta.

I'd love to hear how you think he passes 28 riders to get into the top 10. Echelons where 28 guys miss the front group? Mass crash he somehow avoids? Solo break?
He is 3 minutes before Roglic..possible final winner. He just have to be at those same 3 minutes, because of course 10th will be at more than 3 minutes of the winner. Of course that looks inpossible, but with 2 minutes more lost with Roglic I think he will be top ten ..lasts climb is really hard... that way I said will be difficult..but not impossible...He could pass all those people in those 2 stages...but more likely he won't be top 20...less than top 25 for me would be disappointing now..but anyway meritable all what he is doing.

I bet you a dinner he will be better than Van Aert at GC...despite he has been second at Tirreno.

He is 3 minutes before Roglic..possible final winner. He just have to be at those same 3 minutes, because of course 10th will be at more than 3 minutes of the winner. Of course that looks inpossible, but with 2 minutes more lost with Roglic I think he will be top ten ..lasts climb is really hard... that way I said will be difficult..but not impossible...He could pass all those people in those 2 stages...but more likely he won't be top 20...less than top 25 for me would be disappointing now..but anyway meritable all what he is doing.

I bet you a dinner he will be better than Van Aert at GC...despite he has been second at Tirreno.
:eek: :eek:

Time for one of Sir Dave Brailsford's favourite subjects: "pseudo science."

Let's compare Chris Froome's TT performance today vs Wout Van Aert and with the same Belgian rider at two similar-length TT's at last year's Tour de France.

Dauphine (8.6.22) : 31.9km : Froome : 49.5 km/h
Van Aert : 53.8 km/h

Tour de France (17.7.21) : 30.8km : Froome : 44.6 km/h
Van Aert : 51.5 km/h

Tour de France (30.6.21) : 27.2km : Froome : 44.9 km/h
Van Aert : 50.2 km/h

Conclusion : At the Tour de France TT's Froome was first 5.3 km/h slower than Van Aert and secondly 6.9 km/h slower.

Today, Froome was 4.3 km/h slower.

On the plus side Froome has closed the gap, but is it really significant? Dare I say his "marginal gain" is too small for fans of the 'Magic Kenyan' like myself to get too excited about.
I think, sadly it is.
I think Van Aert was better today than is those ITT..at le Tour last year he was lighter and more focused on the climbs.

I don’t know if Van Aert will try for a high GC place but his not trying I trust more than Froome trying. Sure. If he makes top 10 I’ll eat my hat.

That's a really interesting bet because there's a real possibility WvA rides gruppetto at the weekend to save his legs & not dig too deep before bigger objectives, just as he did in Paris-Nice earlier this year.

So you could be right. But Froome will lose more than another 2 minutes against Roglic between now & Sunday. I'd bet you a dinner on that. These stages are no joke:

dauphine-2022-stage-7-profile-c0338bd1f3.jpg

dauphine-2022-stage-8-profile-6e2f950ecd.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan