• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
bicifan said:
This:

@Andy99
In essence, it is easier to control the quality of training in a structured environment, than the old-school way of racing to train...

well, nobody does it except Sky. With lots of piano and group riding in races these days (although the season has started on a high note imo), I can somewhat see where Sky is coming from. Lets see if it works out in the spring classics.

(if I understood your question)

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
well, nobody does it except Sky. With lots of piano and group riding in races these days (although the season has started on a high note imo), I can somewhat see where Sky is coming from. Lets see if it works out in the spring classics.

(if I understood your question)
I have impression that Sky's methodology is slightly different than using races for training in traditional sense.
From what we can see, they're combining blocks of trainings and races just like everybody else. But looks like the difference is in intensity of racing. They're leaving impression that they're doing the races all-out. Treating them like time checks in a tt. After every time check (race) they have feedback about their current maximum level and what should be done till the next time check.
Also, this kind of approach, besides informations about their absolute level of fitness, gives them opportunity to compare themselves in relative terms - against rivals.
In short, they use races like tests of their limits, instead like part of programed long - term training. That's the difference between their and traditional approach.
Getting used to winning is useful side effect.

This thread doesn't deserve to be buried!
Hard to imagine 6 years ago his first foray into competitive cycling in Europe involves crashing into a race steward in less than 100m....
Next up for him is the Criterium International. What kind of course is that?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Hard to imagine 6 years ago his first foray into competitive cycling in Europe involves crashing into a race steward in less than 100m....

Considered the shortest Tour de France in the world, with one sprint stage, one MTF/mountain stage and one ITT, all within two days.

wwabbit said:

does anybody have a video of that? i've heard this mentioned several times but haven't been able to find it myself. would be amusing if somebody could dig that up.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it´s great that Froome is so strong in the moment, remember he had to fight a really serious bilharzia infection. That´s a fighter!

I admit, though, their dominance makes it a bit boring, but that might chance, the others aren´t sleeping.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Makes sense.

(man I hate SRM's)

Sky clearly go out before, as Kerrison says, ride the courses and get the power profile needed then train to that. Froome, based on the above, was very patient (toughminded in the head) today in Tirreno.

Bertie on the other hand continues to race as if he thinks he's still on the full "program", burning matches, too many attacks. Sky right now have him dialed. (Porte did the same thing at Paris Nice yesterday: Talanksy yawing all over the place burning matches, and Porte has one controlled attack.)

They're not just winning with brawn but also with brains (which includes doing the power profile of the route beforehand and training to it), and Contador is not right now. It's one thing to ride at FTP and above etc., knowing what it is, and quite another to know the course beforehand in terms of watts required at key sections.

Horner and Nibali aren't idiots:

Horner: "It was just incredibly smart and good racing by Sky. Froome was very patient when Contador was attacking, he stayed with his teammates. They were very strong."

Froome was very patient when Contador was attacking; he stayed with his teammates. They were very strong. With 1K to go, Contador, Nibali and [Mauro] Santambrogio were gone, but Froome still stayed patient until finally they were insight. He just did one acceleration, dropped me and went past the others[/I],” Horner explained.

They had one moment where they slowed down a bit, where we dropped a lot of power, but then Contador attacked and they picked it back up. It was intelligent racing from Sky. They have a lot of good guys and Froome was patient. Almost a carbon copy of the Tour.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...t-on-stage-6-of-2013-tirreno-adriatico_277381

Nibali: "Froome won it well. His team worked well for him. He went at the right moment and then in the finale it was all about what you had left.

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Bertie's résumé speaks for itself, especially when compared to both, SKY and Froome.

Saying that Contador was "needlessly" burning matches and that he was "needlessly" attacking people is looking at it the wrong way. When Alberto attacks he does it to win and to test people, sometimes he succeeds and other times he does not. What many people fail to understand is the later.

And like I said, his résumé speaks for itself, yet some people to this day still consider his racing style "amateurish", when in reality they ought to be taking notes.

DA_Man said:
Bertie's résumé speaks for itself, especially when compared to both, SKY and Froome.

Saying that Contador was "needlessly" burning matches and that he was "needlessly" attacking people is looking at it the wrong way. When Alberto attacks he does it to win and to test people, sometimes he succeeds and other times he does not. What many people fail to understand is the later.

And like I said, his résumé speaks for itself, yet some people to this day still consider his racing style "amateurish", when in reality they ought to be taking notes.

Welcome to the forums. If you'd spent a few months lurking before posting, you would know that whenever {insert_favourite_rider} makes a failed attack, he was only testing his rivals whereas whenever {insert_favourite_rider's_rival} makes a failed attack, he was being an amateur. The names Contador, Froome, Nibali, Evans, and many others have been inserted in any of the two above slots by many various fans and haters.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
I think it´s great that Froome is so strong in the moment, remember he had to fight a really serious bilharzia infection. That´s a fighter!

I admit, though, their dominance makes it a bit boring, but that might chance, the others aren´t sleeping.

He was a nobody before that disease, so I doubt it was all that serious with the right medical treatment.

El Pistolero said:
He was a nobody before that disease, so I doubt it was all that serious with the right medical treatment.

The parasites have helped Froome, no doubt.
And the stuff is recurring.
But to me, Froome is an exciting rider particularly if he is left fighting other great cyclist on his own (i.e, if the train is dismantled relatively early on climbs/steep hills).

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Welcome to the forums. If you'd spent a few months lurking before posting, you would know that whenever {insert_favourite_rider} makes a failed attack, he was only testing his rivals whereas whenever {insert_favourite_rider's_rival} makes a failed attack, he was being an amateur. The names Contador, Froome, Nibali, Evans, and many others have been inserted in any of the two above slots by many various fans and haters.

Sarcasm aside, one needs not spend "a month" reading somebody else's opinion about tactics when you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. "Tengo que probar mis piernas" is a recurring response from Alberto when asked why he attacks so much. And it's usually preceded by "I want to win evey time".

TRENDING THREADS