• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
IndianCyclist said:
I dont think both of the can. Froome tried last year. He was destroyed. In terms of talent both of them are much below Pantani. It would be very difficult to sustain marginal gains over 3 months without talent.

Let's leave Pantani out of this, hard to tell how talented he was, fact is he killed himself with drugs at an ungainly age, not exacty reference material...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
brilleaben said:
Calculation vs. instinct riding.

Prejudice. Froome was really defensive only on Prati di Tivo because back then he seriously feared Contador. His yesterday's attack matches calculation in no way. Very likely Froome will be the main attacking power on the climbs in July.

airstream said:
Prejudice. Froome was really defensive only on Prati di Tivo because back then he seriously feared Contador. His yesterday's attack matches calculation in no way. Very likely Froome will be the main attacking power on the climbs in July.

Yesterday. Valverde defensive, Froome and Spilak attacking. Froome already had a time gap, he did not have to attack and of course the chase was pathetic maybe more because of the conditions. But once Porte was used up it was the Froome show.

Should be fairly obvious... Froome is generally more defensive when he still has a train. Once the train is depleted there is a good chance he will put in a big attack.

Unless of course he has a Wiggins to take care of...

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
brilleaben said:
Definately going to Argos.

:D You made my day, man! ;)

This evening might be last or second last time (before eve of last Dauphiné stage) for Froome to really eat sweets and all the stuff he likes, and to have two beer à 0,33 l. Enjoy, dog! :)

A cup of Pedigree Pal is waiting on Champs-Elysées! :D

May 9, 2012
Visit site
His contract situation is interesting, though. If Wiggins wins Giro this year and Vuelta next year, the leader conflict between Froome and him will maybe become a major issue again in '15. Unless Wiggins then focuses on cobbled races? I've seen enough ridiculous improvements to not even rule that out.

brilleaben said:
His contract situation is interesting, though. If Wiggins wins Giro this year and Vuelta next year, the leader conflict between Froome and him will maybe become a major issue again in '15. Unless Wiggins then focuses on cobbled races? I've seen enough ridiculous improvements to not even rule that out.

Wiggins wont still be riding in 2015

wiggins said he wants to win another gold medal in Rio 2016. Dont know it it would be more entertaining to see him throw his toys out of the pram in defeat, or seeing him win and claim he simply trains harder than all those lazy bums in their peak years like T Mart and Phinney.

The Hitch said:
wiggins said he wants to win another gold medal in Rio 2016. Dont know it it would be more entertaining to see him throw his toys out of the pram in defeat, or seeing him win and claim he simply trains harder than all those lazy bums in their peak years like T Mart and Phinney.

That gold medal will most likely be in the velodrome as part of the Team Pursuit squad with Kennaugh, Cavendish & Clancy.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
That gold medal will most likely be in the velodrome as part of the Team Pursuit squad with Kennaugh, Cavendish & Clancy.

If that is the 2016 pursuit team... well.. then I will eat my words :)

JRanton said:
What makes you say that?

Motivation. He really struggled to motivate himself for this season and thats only going to get harder. Wouldn't of been the slightest bit surprised if he had jacked it in at the end of last season. I think its easy to overlook the commitment, pain and sacrifices that it takes to be a pro cyclist

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Motivation. He really struggled to motivate himself for this season and thats only going to get harder. Wouldn't of been the slightest bit surprised if he had jacked it in at the end of last season. I think its easy to overlook the commitment, pain and sacrifices that it takes to be a pro cyclist

Ungrateful *******.

postmanhat said:
Honestly, If I had to name our pursuit team now for 2016 then that would it, except possibly for Clancy. Wiggo and Cav have made their intentions reasonably clear, so why not?

British Cycling hasnt won medals through sentiment, its done through merit. It will be the best 4 riders who will ride no matter how much Cav or Wiggo would love to ride.

Richeypen said:

Jacked it in at the end of last season when he's on a 2 million euro per year contract? I don't think so!

He'll still be riding in 2015. He might not be riding very well but he'll be riding. It's a short career and pre-Sky Wiggins made hardly any money so he'll make the most of what he's got left.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Froome lays down the law:

Froome responded with a statement of his own, sent to VeloNews:

“There has been much speculation regarding the leadership for Team Sky at the Tour de France this year. I have made it clear that winning the Tour would be my main objective for 2013. I have been reassured by the management at Team Sky that I have their full backing, and at no time has the leadership of the Tour team been in question. Attempting to win the Tour de France is a massive undertaking, and will take total commitment from each and every team member. The Tour team has yet to be selected but with the depth of talent that we have at Team Sky, I have no doubt that the strongest and most willing riders will be there to support me.

“Confidence is high in the camp following the success at the Tour of Romandie. This week I will be doing a recon of the Mont Ventoux summit finish, which could be a critical stage of this year’s Tour de France. A group of us will be going to Tenerife next week to continue training at altitude in our build-up to the Tour.”

Wiggins is deadly serious about going for the double. I don't think he is playing any mind games. In two separate interview today for Sky and the BBC he has talked up his chances of doing it and following in Indurain's footsteps. If he wins the Giro(I think he will) I don't think there is anyway he will play second fiddle to Froome right from the start of the Tour. Only as the race goes on and if the Giro catches up him would I see him revert to that role. When he first decided to do the Giro I think he foresaw a lot tougher route in the Tour this year and a returning Contador and Schleck on top form. That hasn't been the case in the latter and I think he's rubbing his hands at the thought of the double being a lot more realistic than he first thought. An interesting July this summer to say the least.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/news/froome-i-will-lead-sky-at-the-tour_284164

Wiggins' approach certainly seems more reasonable, besides he's the reigning champion. Froome should relax a bit and let the road decide, it's not like he had to bury himself for Wiggo much in the TDF last year...3 kms on Toussuire, that's it, so Wiggo can certainly do the same if need be.

The language used is very telling.

"Attempting to win the Tour de France is a massive undertaking, and will take total commitment from each and every team member."

i.e. guess who's not a committed team member?

"with the depth of talent that we have at Team Sky, I have no doubt that the strongest and most willing riders will be there to support me."

i.e. we don't need BW, there are others stronger and more willing to do the work.

Sky's man management was a shambles at the Tour last year and seems no better now. The manager should be saying to one of them now exactly what the score is. Then again, it's getting the brand on the news!

I have noticed Wiggins talking a lot about the tour lately and was shocked when I read this statement.

"The best-case scenario at this stage is I win the Giro, I come out of it, stay healthy, we do all the training camps that we do in between the Giro and the Tour," Wiggins told AFP. "Chris's preparations continue as they are, he ends up winning the Dauphine and we both arrive at the Tour ready to go in the best possible (shape). And Dave's (Brailsford) got to make a call, somewhere there, as to who is the leader.

Looks like Sky isn't on the same page anymore. Clearly Wiggins is balking from his commitment to support Froome. Froome seems to be keeping it cool, but this can't help him mentally.

Seems like Wiggins and Froome and management need to have a little talk. But mostly I think Wiggins is foolhardy to be getting so far ahead of himself. His confidence level is pretty impressive, but cmon lets see you win the Giro first buddy.

TRENDING THREADS