• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
jens_attacks said:
But he says: “I don’t feel like I’ve hit my best form yet. It’s been good but not like I’ve been absolutely flying yet. I feel on the rise but I’ve still got a few weeks to the Tour, there’s still headroom.”

:eek:

damn how strong will he be?

That comment certainly jumped out at me as well. I'm looking forward to the Dauphine

Publicus said:
That comment certainly jumped out at me as well. I'm looking forward to the Dauphine

I'm taking it with a pinch of salt. He knows Bertie had a sneaky peak at his power meter and he wants to try put him off by convincing him the numbers will be different in the tour. I reckon he's pretty close to top form at the moment, will have to wait and see though.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Are these blatant references to doping allowed?

Nope, but had to respond in kind.

Anyways, I like this comment from Froome:
"I think people were a little bit deluded by how easy it was last year,” he says. “People are talking about how we can choose who will win this year, that first and second is guaranteed. Last year, we had it easy in terms of competition and in terms of luck. Things went our way and it’ll be interesting to see what happens when things don’t go our way."

Cimber said:

"I think people were a little bit deluded by how easy it was last year,” he says. “People are talking about how we can choose who will win this year, that first and second is guaranteed. Last year, we had it easy in terms of competition and in terms of luck. Things went our way and it’ll be interesting to see what happens when things don’t go our way."

Damn, I was working on some puns too.

Yeah, Froome seems more grounded and more aware of the situation both last year and this one. Contador will be up for it and even a semi-ready Contador will be difficult to keep a hold on up the climbs.

It could be epic, but that's really down to Bertie.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
So i guess we dont have to worry that Froome peaked too early when he was destroying everyone earlier this year :eek:

Everyone saw how good sky was last year and realized they had to prepare better. Nibali in the giro was much better than last year. Hopefully Contador will be the same, then we can have a fun tour.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Who doesn't want to see the battle of AC and Froome going at it next to each other? flying up the mountains :D Then for a few seconds we'll see Wiggins dropping like a stone.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd take Froomes words with a grain of salt. Contenders often say things like this before big races. Wasn't Wiggins saying this kind of stuff before the Giro? And we all know how that turned out. We won't really know how Froomes form is until we see him at the Dauphine, and even then he may not be goimg all out.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
I'd take Froomes words with a grain of salt. Contenders often say things like this before big races. Wasn't Wiggins saying this kind of stuff before the Giro? And we all know how that turned out. We won't really know how Froomes form is until we see him at the Dauphine, and even then he may not be goimg all out.

Of course not, he'll still win with a minute though :(

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:

I don't think minutes, but he could definitely still win it. Sky don't really race to train after all.

Probably will win it actually looking at the startlist. A shame that Quintana won't be racing here. He wouldn't need to worry about overdoing it before the Tour like the Tour contenders will.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:

Well as said in the last 10 years only 2 Dauphiné winners also won the Tour, so dont give up hope even if Froome crushes everyone in Dauphiné

Cimber said:

I hope this puts an end to any arguments to the contrary.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
fortuities and coincidences? :)

Or mistiming of form compared to others. But the points was more in the line with: the winner of Dauphiné isnt necessarily to be considered THE biggest Tour favorite

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Well as said in the last 10 years only 2 Dauphiné winners also won the Tour, so dont give up hope even if Froome crushes everyone in Dauphiné

Wiggins won last year for Sky and won Tour comfortable.

Seems to me Sky get their peaks right ;)

And tbf Froome can win this with good TT and leave rest to his team.

( same way Wiggins won last year too..)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Wiggins won last year for Sky and won Tour comfortable.

Seems to me Sky get their peaks right ;)

And tbf Froome can win this with good TT and leave rest to his team.

( same way Wiggins won last year too..)

Wiggo 2012 + Lance in 2003 have been the only two in the last 10 years... but regarding last year alsotake into account what Froome just admitted: The competition was lackluster.

Anyways it goes both ways: If Bertie wins Dauphiné it doesnt mean he will win the Tour, or that he is more likely to win the Tour than if he finished 3rd. SAme goes with Froome. Point still is: dont read too much into the race. The contenders shouldnt be at 100% yet - only 95%ish

Gloin22 said:
same way Wiggins won last year too..

But he wont. He will be attacking. Not cos Bertie is a good TTer, especially on the hilly 2nd TT (he beat Froome in the Vuelta TT last year), but more so cos he is no Wiggings. As we have seen this spring (And in the 2012 Tour) he is an attacker. And thank god for that. Was enough with one Wiggo-style Tour.

Oh almost forgot: first and foremost he will attack to finally show Sky and Wiggo that he is the strongest.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't matter what Sky has. If Contador doesn't crash and cost himself silly time in the first week, he will beat Froome and Wiggins. The only time Contador was beaten in a GT lately, he had a Giro and crashing issues. And he still made the race.

Sky will figure out a way to lose.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
But he says: “I don’t feel like I’ve hit my best form yet. It’s been good but not like I’ve been absolutely flying yet. I feel on the rise but I’ve still got a few weeks to the Tour, there’s still headroom.”

:eek:

damn how strong will he be?

the full grown skyborg will grow wings, you know. So, not until he grows wings, he can't fly yet :D:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
sagard said:
It doesn't matter what Sky has. If Contador doesn't crash and cost himself silly time in the first week, he will beat Froome and Wiggins. The only time Contador was beaten in a GT lately, he had a Giro and crashing issues. And he still made the race.

Sky will figure out a way to lose.

what a passionate dislike

TRENDING THREADS