• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
May 19, 2011
Visit site
I have faith in these strong arms, I bet his legs are even stronger. This Tour is for Froom to lose. Go smash AC, and put a period to AC's luscious GT career.:eek:

lol_zps1804354e.png

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
It means they have the ability to possibly be the best two riders in the race. Let's face it, have any of Contador's team mates done as well as Porte this year in stage races ? Take Contador out of his team and Porte would be the team leader at Saxo.

This is possibly the funniest and most misconstrued thing I have read all year. :D

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

At least they are consistent. They were drumming the same tune when Porte joined Sky "In Richie Porte, Team Sky have acquired one of the world's most gifted riders and we are thrilled to have him on the team,"2011 his reason for the move being, to quote "looking forward to opening this next chapter of my career now and hopefully taking things to another level". ;)

At the time his less than impressive showing was explained by Sky as being due to being a domestique for Contador. I wonder why that was...

King Boonen said:
You should probably read that again, he says "in the race". That's specifically this race, one which suits both Froome and Portes' attributes.

I actually think it's pretty hard to argue against that based on results so far this year. If Porte was on another team riding like he has been for Sky then he'd certainly be one of the top 10, if not top 5, contenders for the GC.

I think it is overstating it a bit considering Porte has not proven himself to be among the elite over the course of 3 weeks. Yes he's been impressive in week long stage races but to put Porte up there with riders with the gt palmares of Purito, Contador, Evans, Valverde and even JVDB is too much. He could very well prove Brailsford prophetic but his gt results just don't back it up. If doing well in week long stage races was all it took Brajkovic would've been a Tour contender after after his Dauphine of years ago.

Angliru said:
I think it is overstating it a bit considering Porte has not proven himself to be among the elite over the course of 3 weeks. Yes he's been impressive in week long stage races but to put Porte up there with riders with the gt palmares of Purito, Contador, Evans, Valverde and even JVDB is too much. He could very well prove Brailsford prophetic but his gt results just don't back it up. If doing well in week long stage races was all it took Brajkovic would've been a Tour contender after after his Dauphine of years ago.

Why wouldnt Porte be good over 3 weeks. How many guys are there that can smash Paris Nice like that have shown the mountain form Porte has since he joined sky that cant hold it together over 3 weeks?

Angliru said:

He must think he's ready to step up and the indicator's this year look more positive than negative. There is always doubt about the three weeks even with experienced GT riders. They all know that one bad day loses them the race or if they have done too much before the Tour they will fade in the third week.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
That's right, Rogers, Roche and Kreuziger have such good GT records that Porte would not be considered a better option to lead the team. Watched any racing this year ?

Lets see how he can handle the pressure and the attacks from the other guys while leading out froome...

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
That's right, Rogers, Roche and Kreuziger have such good GT records that Porte would not be considered a better option to lead the team. Watched any racing this year ?

More importantly I watched the 2010 and 2011 seasons, which is why I have no hesitation in saying that if Alberto left the team they would have signed one of many better alternate leaders rather than choose Porte. Perhaps you missed the bit when Chris was asking Contador about his chances of a Job on Alberto's team... Porte Dosen't ride for Saxo, he left under contract to "take it to a higher level"... Chances that he [Porte] will ever be welcomed on the team again are slim to zero.

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Today 2nd stage:

150. SIUTSOU Kanstantsin 7 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
176. LOPEZ GARCIA David 5 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
195. STANNARD Ian 8 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''
196. THOMAS Geraint 9 SKY PROCYCLING 04h 00' 46'' + 17' 35''

4 Sky riders in last group. Taking easy after yesterdays fall, or just bad shape? Especially Lopez. Cause for concern?

TRENDING THREADS