• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
^^
I think in that theory you are assuming Contador wasn't already pushing as hard as he can yesterday, which I think is disproven by the mistake he made (even if we don't have any pictures, almost certainly because of going too fast through the corner).

It's an arrogant comment by Froome, but I don't think it will have any consequences on the race.

I think Froome might even let Contador go on the descent off Alpe d'Huez, I mean, how much time could Contador possibly take back on him - a minute maybe if he's really strong?

if it rains on alpe dheuz which it will, contador coudl take back 4-5 minutes on a frightening froome, especially with guys like kreuziger that are excellent downhillers

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
on dutch tv already everyone was askled about what happened with contador and froome and mollema said contador crashed and then froome made a silly crahs as well(his words) from not holding his line, like a little boy as was seen by all of us

Hey Ryo why do you defend Froome and Sky wwhen you was banned you was saying Froome is a talent on the Cyclingnews page, and all TDF you been cheering against him lol.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Hey Ryo why do you defend Froome and Sky wwhen you was banned you was saying Froome is a talent on the Cyclingnews page, and all TDF you been cheering against him lol.

clinically I give him 100% benefit of the doubt. but sportively I hate him as much as sky. especially the way he races, comments, his HORRIBLE style. put him next to quintana and an average [erson will say froome isn't even a cyclist

del1962 said:
Did I say anything about Alberto (you are very touchy), all I am saying is that people who overthink things (intelectually intelligent like Froome - spent time on an economics degree) tend to be a bit more cautious on high risk activities.

Well the entire discussion has been about Contador vs Froome on the descents and whether AC took too many risks or not. So I thought you implied Froome is smart or "intellectually intelligent" and Contador is "stupid" which of course is ridiculous. I'm sorry I misunderstood you.

PS not everyone who "spends time" on an economics degree is intellectually intelligent. ;)

PPS Froome's tweet didn't show much "intellectual intelligence". :eek:

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Unworthy and pathetic that the yellow jersey goes on twitter to cry about his rivals going full gass on a descent. If he thinks it to fast he can just slow down. Luckily there is at least one rider who isnt gonna spoonfeed him the win.

del1962 said:
I think that it helps in descending if you are a bit stupid, imo Froome overthinks it a bit.

I'll agree with your second statement, not your first. Descending a technical parcours at speed is, I would guess the most 'technical' part of cycling. It is also the one with most potential for a 'fear factor'.
With technical sports, or areas of sport it really helps if you do not think too much about what you are doing and it is automatic for the most part. Confidence and technical ability are pushed to the forefront in quick downhilling, overthinking it is definitely not something you want to do.

That is very very different to being stupid, if you're going down that route you'd have to call all motor sport drivers, skiers and jump-jockeys/cross country horse-riders, moto-gp riders 'stupid'. They are not.

TANK91 said:

I think it says a lot about you that you think people can only be on one side or another. That they can't analyze propblems independently and come to their own conclusions, but rather that existing biases should direct what position people take on any matter.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
del1962 said:
Did I say anything about Alberto (you are very touchy), all I am saying is that people who overthink things (intelectually intelligent like Froome - spent time on an economics degree) tend to be a bit more cautious on high risk activities.

Froome thought that Contador was being reckless on the descent yet he followed directly behind him - how is that cautious or intelligent?

When Contador went down Froome should have been able to continue if he had been calm and thinking clearly, instead he panicked, came off his bike and then had to tow Contador back - how is that cautious or intelligent?

del1962 said:

No surprise its you coming out with this nonesence. But yes its nonsense. As others have pointed out academic success to a point is not the same thing as being intelligent in the first place. If they rise really high and do a phd, maybe but attempting an undergrad? That comes down to a million other things such as background, social skills etc.

But more importantly the premise that there is a correlation between doing a degree and being cautious on a bicycle is ludicrous. It makes no sense. Not only is it a matter of fact that you can find participants of extreme sports in all walks of life, its also a fact that memory of crashes, will to win and coordination skills are the biggest factors in whether people take descents hard or not.

But at the end of the day its funny to see just to what lenghts your fanboyism takes you. As was pointed out in another thread, you always take the sky side 100% even when no one else does, and its telling that even on something totally unrelated to bike racing, in your world Froome and team Britain have to be the best. Its not enough that he is better climber, tter, sprinter, hill rider than his opponents, and that you think he is morally superior to all of them as well, their 1 advantage - descending, has to be turned into a question of intelligence, in which, (surprise, surprise) you rate froome once again as the best.

The Hitch said:
No surprise its you coming out with this nonesence. But yes its nonsense. As others have pointed out academic success to a point is not the same thing as being intelligent in the first place. If they rise really high and do a phd, maybe but attempting an undergrad? That comes down to a million other things such as background, social skills etc.

But more importantly the premise that there is a correlation between doing a degree and being cautious on a bicycle is ludicrous. It makes no sense. Not only is it a matter of fact that you can find participants of extreme sports in all walks of life, its also a fact that memory of crashes, will to win and coordination skills are the biggest factors in whether people take descents hard or not.

But at the end of the day its funny to see just to what lenghts your fanboyism takes you. As was pointed out in another thread, you always take the sky side 100% even when no one else does, and its telling that even on something totally unrelated to bike racing, in your world Froome and team Britain have to be the best. Its not enough that he is better climber, tter, sprinter, hill rider than his opponents, and that you think he is morally superior to all of them as well, their 1 advantage - descending, has to be turned into a question of intelligence, in which, (surprise, surprise) you rate froome once again as the best.

So many straw men that it is not even worth bothering with

del1962 said:
So many straw men that it is not even worth bothering with

No, you dont want to respond because you have no rebuttal.

Doing an econ dergree does not mean Froome is intelligent and being intelligent does not mean someone is less likely to take risks on descents while fighting the gc at the Tour de France

The only response you can give to either discussion now are the words "I", "was" and "wrong", so I understand why you wont "bother" responding;)

Thinking about Dawg's tweet, I'm now beginning to wonder if we're maybe misunderstanding his tweet. Mollema said that Froome wouldn't have gotten into trouble if he'd kept his line. That makes me wonder if Froome's near-crash was the result of a reflex after seeing Alberto go down. He says "I almost went over your head" maybe he thought he was going to ride into Alberto so tried to avoid him, and that scared him. Haven't seen Froome's post-race interview but from what I've heard he was angry but that's very easy to explain, when you just manage to avoid something bad, you get angry most of time, I've seen it a few times when drivers almost run into a cyclist or pedestrian and get mad at the cyclist or pedestrian even if the driver was at fault.

LaFlorecita said:
Thinking about Dawg's tweet, I'm now beginning to wonder if we're maybe misunderstanding his tweet. Mollema said that Froome wouldn't have gotten into trouble if he'd kept his line. That makes me wonder if Froome's near-crash was the result of a reflex after seeing Alberto go down. He says "I almost went over your head" maybe he thought he was going to ride into Alberto so tried to avoid him, and that scared him. Haven't seen Froome's post-race interview but from what I've heard he was angry but that's very easy to explain, when you just manage to avoid something bad, you get angry most of time, I've seen it a few times when drivers almost run into a cyclist or pedestrian and get mad at the cyclist or pedestrian even if the driver was at fault.

Who are you and what have you done with the real LaFlorecita?

Maybe he was scared of having nearly killed Contador.

TRENDING THREADS