• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

  • Yes.

    Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

    Votes: 54 59.3%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

    Votes: 19 20.9%

  • Total voters
    91
Carols said:
Yeah I notice no one waited for MJ except Porte :) No love for Sky!

What? Waiting doesnt mean everyone hits the breaks the second the mj is in trouble. It means continuing at a normal pace so yellow jersey can get back on.

Which is exactly what happened. Porte Froome and Contador got back on befor the end of the descent.

Besides it was the end of the stage so he would only have lost a few seconds anyway.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,819
2
0
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Ha Ha classic mind-games by Froome-Dawg, daring El Pistolero
to take bigger risks on more dangerous descents after Contador
is already doubting his own descending. Beautiful. Froomey isn't
boring anymore is he!

These "mind-games" if anything would lead to Contador crushing the coming descents and taking minutes out of Froome. Doesn't sound like a very good mind-game to me. ;)
 
Apr 2, 2013
769
0
0
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Ha Ha classic mind-games by Froome-Dawg, daring El Pistolero
to take bigger risks on more dangerous descents after Contador
is already doubting his own descending. Beautiful. Froomey isn't
boring anymore is he!

and then what, Froome follows him onto the tarmac? terrible riding by Froome today, if he'd stayed on his bike like he should Contador would have lost more time today.
 
The Hitch said:
What? Waiting doesnt mean everyone hits the breaks the second the mj is in trouble. It means continuing at a normal pace so yellow jersey can get back on.

Which is exactly what happened. Porte Froome and Contador got back on befor the end of the descent.

Besides it was the end of the stage so he would only have lost a few seconds anyway.


Quintana admitted he attacked....

"If Contador is upset, then I'm sorry but we didn't attack because he was dropped," said Quintana. "I just kept going at my rhythm because I wanted to distance Kwiatkowski in the young rider classification, as well as the other riders who had been dropped."

But Movistar has a no wait policy anyway.
 
Carols said:
Quintana admitted he attacked....

"If Contador is upset, then I'm sorry but we didn't attack because he was dropped," said Quintana. "I just kept going at my rhythm because I wanted to distance Kwiatkowski in the young rider classification, as well as the other riders who had been dropped."

But Movistar has a no wait policy anyway.

Quintana is smart. Smarter than most. Dont burn your bridges. Words are cheap.
 
Carols said:
Quintana admitted he attacked....

"If Contador is upset, then I'm sorry but we didn't attack because he was dropped," said Quintana. "I just kept going at my rhythm because I wanted to distance Kwiatkowski in the young rider classification, as well as the other riders who had been dropped."

But Movistar has a no wait policy anyway.

Sounds like Contador's well-being wasn't the topic of their brief "conversation".

Contador should move to politics when he is done riding.
 
Jul 7, 2013
4
0
0
Visit site
I'm on the Chris Froome thread but the last 3 pages read like a Contador love letter addressed from adolescent fans. Froome rode well enough to preserve his lead in a rather ho-hum stage. I hope he puts another minute on whomever is in second place at the end of tomorrow TT.
 
Mar 9, 2013
1,996
0
0
Visit site
Afrank said:
These "mind-games" if anything would lead to Contador crushing the coming descents and taking minutes out of Froome. Doesn't sound like a very good mind-game to me. ;)

Yes because AC was really putting Froome under pressure yday:rolleyes:, if you think under pressure means accelerarting out of corners faster then fine but CF was bringing him back with ease due to his engine imo.
 
Mar 9, 2013
1,996
0
0
Visit site
oldcrank said:
I think SKY and Froome can take some solace tonight
after Contador's display of reckless desperation,
questionable tactics and suspect descending.

Much too soon to be counting any chickens, but
Alberto has been somewhat exposed now.

He as been exposed all year dude, it was obvious he is not the same AC, he gets blown up by Nieve who had been on the attack for 10 kms earlier. CF will probably take another min out next stage, I do think AC looked better today though and no way can you believe him he does not care if he comes second, look at Ventoux looking around for dear life were Belkin were and he was pushing pace against Ten Dam yday.
 
Mar 9, 2013
1,996
0
0
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Froome today:

Waaaaaa, waaaaaa, waaaaaaaa..... contador is recklessss... waaaaa waaaa....
i didn't know the strongest man in the race is a whoosh..:D:D No wonder his girl is the one that keep yapping against wiggin vs froome tdf leadership. the man got no two wheels..

shut up, and coasting at the back, hold your buddy's hand if you are so afraid to follow contador. It's a freakin' race. contador got NOTHING to loose.

Jelantik you keep calling him a showboater yet surely you would like it if AC was gaining time all the time. So you make ZERO sense, and seriously the gaps we have seen this year does beg the question Froome more than probable would have won the TDF last year, I always fought Wiggo would still win on that parcours but CF has put huge time into this TDF and he was great last year sitting down putting on the hurt. So CF should really be a 3 time GT winner and your upset he is showboating what the hell is the world coming two, I think he as more than earned his right don't you? after being kept on a lead for 2 years.
 
I really don't get this calling Froome stupid. It's quite clear he lacks the race experience of guys like Contador or Valverde and maybe even the natural cunning of Quintana, but what's that got to do with intelligence?

And he hasn't shown weakness in descending so far either, yesterday's inconsequential event notwithstanding.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,819
2
0
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Yes because AC was really putting Froome under pressure yday:rolleyes:, if you think under pressure means accelerarting out of corners faster then fine but CF was bringing him back with ease due to his engine imo.

Missing the point I see. If Froome was playing mind games by daring Contador to take bigger risks (which he isn't doing in any way) then it would be in Contador's favor. As it would result in Contador pushing Froome harder in the descents then he already has and would put Froome under more pressure to follow and take more risks.

Contador is the better descender, he wouldn't have as much trouble when pushing it on descents as Froome would have IMO. So benefit Contador.
 
^^
I think in that theory you are assuming Contador wasn't already pushing as hard as he can yesterday, which I think is disproven by the mistake he made (even if we don't have any pictures, almost certainly because of going too fast through the corner).

It's an arrogant comment by Froome, but I don't think it will have any consequences on the race.

I think Froome might even let Contador go on the descent off Alpe d'Huez, I mean, how much time could Contador possibly take back on him - a minute maybe if he's really strong?
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I hope the media make a big deal out of it and ask everyone about it in interviews tomorrow. That way everyone will know he said it and I suspect most people will disagree with Froome's comments.

on dutch tv already everyone was askled about what happened with contador and froome and mollema said contador crashed and then froome made a silly crahs as well(his words) from not holding his line, like a little boy as was seen by all of us