• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Has the surgery been confirmed?

usually it's 6 month rest after back surgery so if he has any surgery his season is done.

more probable after tour, if the surgery stuff is not just gazzeta making sales with bombastic headlines.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Has the surgery been confirmed?

surgery? really? where did you hear that news? uffff.. i didn't think it was that bad. But if he has to go through surgery, that's not good. Maybe the in-human type of pushing watts beyond limit, slowly deteriorating his back.

Bl-Fl6PIMAAn946.jpg

pauraaaaa!!

Justico

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand Sky medical dept

Why fly the guy around just to sideline him on the race morning

Not to speak that 20% of their team is sidelined/retired/ill

Froome has no business in 2014 TdF, to many blunders imo.

Justico said:
I don't understand Sky medical dept

Why fly the guy around just to sideline him on the race morning

Not to speak that 20% of their team is sidelined/retired/ill

Froome has no business in 2014 TdF, to many blunders imo.

Yes, it's pretty weird what's going on with Sky this year. But there is still time for TdF, I wouldn't count Froome out yet.

Dazed and Confused said:
The MC and Kerrison regime will drive the boy into the ground. 24/7, home and out, relentless.

We are headed in the direction of peaking for CdD and the Tour in the future methinks.

He said last year he felt he had to go and try to win everything to get the support of the team behind him, to prove he could win stage races. Despite not winning Tirreno, he looked strong on the dry days and cleaned up in Oman, Romandie and the Dauphine. This year there isn't the same urgency and therefore less need to hold form from February until late July.

Racing today has no bearing on what happens in the Tour which is the focus. If he has a poor Romandie then I'd expect a few alarm bells to ring as that would only leave him the Dauphine to really hone his form. It would seem Sky need the lift of a good performance too. Oman, Omloop and a few decent Classics innings apart, it's not been a vintage year thus far for a variety of reasons.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
He said last year he felt he had to go and try to win everything to get the support of the team behind him, to prove he could win stage races. Despite not winning Tirreno, he looked strong on the dry days and cleaned up in Oman, Romandie and the Dauphine. This year there isn't the same urgency and therefore less need to hold form from February until late July.

Racing today has no bearing on what happens in the Tour which is the focus. If he has a poor Romandie then I'd expect a few alarm bells to ring as that would only leave him the Dauphine to really hone his form. It would seem Sky need the lift of a good performance too. Oman, Omloop and a few decent Classics innings apart, it's not been a vintage year thus far for a variety of reasons.

Froome had very little racing prior to the 2012 Tour, and he should have won that. So I don't think this is a big worry for Sky. More of a worry is why it's happening.

Nathan12 said:
Froome had very little racing prior to the 2012 Tour, and he should have won that. So I don't think this is a big worry for Sky. More of a worry is why it's happening.

In an endurance sport there's always going to be the risk of knocks and strains. In Froome's case, he might just be unlucky just now.

Although Sky-wide there appears to be a whole lot of bad luck. Kiryenka's out of Romandie as well apparently. Edit: and Kennaugh too - he sounds jaded going by Brailsford's quotes below.

Seemingly CF was withdrawn today in order to be fully fit for Romandie which is a far more useful use of his time I'd assume.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-non-starter-in-liege-bastogne-liege

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Yes, it's pretty weird what's going on with Sky this year. But there is still time for TdF, I wouldn't count Froome out yet.
Me neither,we should wait until mountain stages in dauphine libere to make judgements.
Dazed and Confused said:
The MC and Kerrison regime will drive the boy into the ground. 24/7, home and out, relentless.

We are headed in the direction of peaking for CdD and the Tour in the future methinks.
dont worry,there is still Berto,and after him there will be Nairo,naturally talent GT riders:)
Nathan12 said:

This.

TRENDING THREADS