• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
CycloAndy said:
Sums it up for me. Prima Donna Froome sounds like Yaya Toure. Sky had committed to Wiggins for years and he was winning so if Froome felt betrayed, imagine how betrayed Wiggins would feel if they suddenly changed support to Froome.

Isn't that all dependent upon what agreement/understanding was made between Froome and Brailsford when the contract was signed?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
Isn't that all dependent upon what agreement/understanding was made between Froome and Brailsford when the contract was signed?

It is but there's no way on earth Brailsford said: "Froome you can have a free role at the Tour even though we've spent years preparing for Wiggins to win". Maybe Froome's ego (or shall we call it Michelle Cound) misread between the lines and thought being paid a leaders wage meant he could do whatever he wants at the tour. It was probably "Froome we've prepared for years for Wiggins to win the tour and we need you to help but we will let you lead the vuelta, pay you a leaders wage and let you be back up leader for Wiggo if things go wrong".

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
Bolded part highlighted for truth. Froome was the better rider, but Wiggins was the preferred rider and it could be argued was in a better position at the time of Froome's 'challenge'.

I know you're not a fan of Wiggins which I agree with wholeheartedly. Wiggins whining like a baby and threatening to leave over the Froome incident was childish and stupid but now Froome goes and makes me hate him even more by whining like a baby over it too. Wiggins was leader and was going to drop like a fly without help. Froome knew fine well that his job was to protect Wiggins but didn't feel like it because he wanted to be leader.

Froome complains of not being communicated with very well but if he was going for personal glory then he should have communicated it before the stage, not just dashed off when Wiggins needed him most.

The changing of the goalposts works both ways, Wiggins changed the goalposts by asking for a free role in 2013 but Froome did the same by not allowing it, despite expecting Wiggins to do the same for him in 2012. Both selfish egotists!

I would even accept a magical GC transformation from Thomas, Eisel or Stannard without question, if it meant I didn't have to put up with Froome and Wiggins' whining.

I agree with all that. I am also reminded of the fact of Porte dragging Froome up an Alp when Froome was on the point of cracking - no, had cracked. A little teamwork goes a lot further than a whinge.

My respect is for Porte.

InterestedSpectator said:
I agree with all that. I am also reminded of the fact of Porte dragging Froome up an Alp when Froome was on the point of cracking - no, had cracked. A little teamwork goes a lot further than a whinge.

My respect is for Porte.
Porte and Froome were good friends already before that. Wiggins and Froome not really afaik.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you think Froome will ever go for the Giro?. I would like him to win 3 on the trot then do a Giro/Vuelta double he is not that good at recovering from back to back GT's. I don't think he will ever do the Giro if he keeps winning when he lose's in the TDF he may try it. One thing for sure he loves La Vuelta it is his fav GT i think.

TANK91 said:
Do any of you think Froome will ever go for the Giro?. I would like him to win 3 on the trot then do a Giro/Vuelta double he is not that good at recovering from back to back GT's. I don't think he will ever do the Giro if he keeps winning when he lose's in the TDF he may try it. One thing for sure he loves La Vuelta it is his fav GT i think.

He likes the heat, according to his book. I'd like to see him do the Giro too. Pity he didn't go to Garmin at the end of Vuelta 2011. I think one of the reasons why Sky met his salary demands so he would stay with them were that they were worried he would beat Wiggins in the TDF in 2012.

Poursuivant said:
Listening to CF in interviews, I think he will targetthe Tour for the rest of his career. Maybe one year he will go Vuelta again like Contador is doing this year, but planning to peak for the Tour so his Tour condition is not really compromised.

whatever happens on this tour- then the question is how many tours does he have left on him to content? At 29 he's supposed to be at his peak with 2 or 3 years left- & considering whether SKY is going to retain his services....
Next year will be Nairo & Contador, perhaps Nibbs & Aru, and as years go by, there will be new opposition to his reign...

hfer07 said:
whatever happens on this tour- then the question is how many tours does he have left on him to content? At 29 he's supposed to be at his peak with 2 or 3 years left- & considering whether SKY is going to retain his services....
Next year will be Nairo & Contador, perhaps Nibbs & Aru, and as years go by, there will be new opposition to his reign...
I think you're overestimating the opposition.
Of all listed only Quintana can be considered as a challenge.
Contador is older and if doesn't beat Froome this July - he can be written off.
Nibali wasn't a challenge so far, but has a couple of years more to prove he's the player.
Aru has a long way to go before we can say he's the Tour format.
So, only Contador and Quintana. And the first wont last longer than Froome.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
You are more or less right of course,but still Froome needs to pray to have next Tours with 50+ km itt's to win le Tour.If not Quintana will murder him in the mountains (I wouldnt underestimate Aru and Betancur either)

ILovecycling said:
You are more or less right of course,but still Froome needs to pray to have next Tours with 50+ km itt's to win le Tour.If not Quintana will murder him in the mountains (I wouldnt underestimate Aru and Betancur either)
Yes, Quintana is leaving an impression of an unbeatable climber, but the ascents are Froome's terrain as well. He's not Indurain/Ulrich/Wiggins kind of a rider... gaining time in the time trials defending on the climbs. He's gaining everywhere, so far. Stays to be seen what Quintana can do against Froome when he has to.
Betancur isn't a GT calibre, I have an impression. Three weeks look too much for him.
Nothing should be expected of Aru (the Tour - wise) in the next 3 years, at least.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
sir fly said:
Yes, Quintana is leaving an impression of an unbeatable climber, but the ascents are Froome's terrain as well. He's not Indurain/Ulrich/Wiggins kind of a rider... gaining time in the time trials defending on the climbs.

Well, by naming Ulrich as defending rider you sure show that you are clueless about how Jan actually rode. Jan definitely attacked in the mountains. Indeed, especially when he was younger he rode not that different from Froome.

In truth Wiggins is alone here considering in the first years Miguel also put the hammer down in the mountains. In 1991 Miguel won the TdF due to an exploit to Val Louron. And yes, it was him towing Chiapucci, not the other way around ;)

Franklin said:
Well, by naming Ulrich as defending rider you sure show that you are clueless about how Jan actually rode. Jan definitely attacked in the mountains. Indeed, especially when he was younger he rode not that different from Froome.

In truth Wiggins is alone here considering in the first years Miguel also put the hammer down in the mountains. In 1991 Miguel won the TdF due to an exploit to Val Louron. And yes, it was him towing Chiapucci, not the other way around ;)
You should have understood the list of riders I've written like a list of riders whose area of excellence (area where they gain more) is primarily the tt, in comparison to Froome who isn't such a dominant time trialist, but something similar could have been concluded from ILovecycling's post.
And before you make an insulting claim, you should consult the results first. Do a little maths, see where their gains where more significant during their entire careers. Not on a single day or in a single edition of the race.
Where was Ulle after the 1997 Tour? Certainly not with the best climbers.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
You mean Arcalis 1997 and 'the day after' in 1998 which wasnt even an attack? Two attacks. Whoomptiedoooo.

You can do better.

Froome is way more aggressive than der Jan.

Vuelta 1999 exactly the same. Jan did not attack, he didnt need to, just like Bik Mik.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
You mean Arcalis 1997 and 'the day after' in 1998 which wasnt even an attack? Two attacks. Whoomptiedoooo.

You can do better.

Froome is way more aggressive than der Jan.

Vuelta 1999 exactly the same. Jan did not attack, he didnt need to, just like Bik Mik.

Sorry, FGL, seems you missed the (futile) attacks Jan did year in year out on our grand enemy LA. Agresivness is intent, not just success (though that's sure nice).

Whoomptiedoo indeed.

And to squash this one with Thor's hammer: We both know that Jan did many more attacks than Mig and Wiggins actually did zero. So my point that Jan does not belong in that list is rocksolid and yes, based on facts. Sorry, seems I did better than you reckoned. ;)

Ok, so there was an attack on that stage in 2004, then Tourmalet in 2003, maybe something up Ax the same year?

But apart from that?

Edit: and that would be really scraping it unless we go into 5 second attacks territory which nobody gives a **** about except you

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
Sorry, FGL, seems you missed the (futile) attacks Jan did year in year out on our grand enemy LA. Agresivness is intent, not just success (though that's sure nice).
No. I didnt miss the 'attacks', they were just futile as you state.

Dont compare Frommes aggression with Jan. There is no comparison. Only Arcalis 1997 and the day after he had that cold 'problem'. Jan did not attack. Could not attack.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Ok, so there was an attack on that stage in 2004, then Tourmalet in 2003, maybe something up Ax the same year?

But apart from that?

Edit: and that would be really scraping it unless we go into 5 second attacks territory which nobody gives a **** about except you

I know that 2005 was depressing, but some people actually watched the TdF that year and saw Jan do multiple (failing^^) attacks.

Is anyone saying with a staight face that Jan rode just as defensively as Brad even with the cold hard fact that indeed Wiggins never attacked in a mountain stage whereas Jan did several times? ;)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
No. I didnt miss the 'attacks', they were just futile as you state.

Thank you for agreeing that Jan was much more agressive than Brad. Let's keep at this some more as we sure are making a point here:rolleyes:

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Franklin said:
Thank you for agreeing that Jan was much more agressive than Brad. Let's keep at this some more as we sure are making a point here:rolleyes:
I am not convinced, perhaps we should ask Vaughters on that mountainstage at the Tour de l'Avenir in ... were Brad convinced him of his talents.

Jan not aggressive, Brad even worse.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Jan not aggressive

borisbeckeroktoberfestgolftrophypartylp8hvi_zwxpl.jpg

Guess you are right :D