• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
MBotero said:
I don't care about his style on the bike,i like the guy because he's always attacks no matter his form.Also after watching Escartin in golden days,Froome looks pretty good to me.

Well Escartin won me over because he expressed so much pain and effort. Human one might say.

It also helped that the Kelme jerseys were so much cooler than sky.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
cauberg1999 said:
its always painful to watch your rider loosing for his the most principal opponent and absolute antagonist,no?

still perfect training match for both. gotta be very tight next month!:)

For me personally it was huge to see Berti and Nibali so close to Froomes time. I had expected a 20-25 sec loss for both of them. Stellar to only lose about 1 sec pr km. If they do the same in the Tour Bertie will lose only about 40 secs and Nibs about 1 min in the long TT. That would be an immense result and really open up the Tour.

Guys like AC and Nibs will hardly ever beat guy like Froome in a TT (when he is in form) but when they can limit losses to 1sec pr km its huge

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Cimber said:
For me personally it was huge to see Berti and Nibali so close to Froomes time. I had expected a 20-25 sec loss for both of them. Stellar to only lose about 1 sec pr km. If they do the same in the Tour Bertie will lose only about 40 secs and Nibs about 1 min in the long TT. That would be an immense result and really open up the Tour.

Guys like AC and Nibs will hardly ever beat guy like Froome in a TT (when he is in form) but when they can limit losses to 1sec pr km its huge

i find it a problem for alberto that looks like that froome is again mad like hell. he feels he must prove brailsford he deserves to have his hand in making the final squad and directrors willnt have to sorry about not including bradley in the team. froome looks utterly determined. i didnt wait this from him after successful season. usually athletes relax a bit after this but it doesnt work for cf

i expect ac to lose at least 1 min a long tt. still lots of opportunies to get back that even in 1 stage

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
Bull****. No need for insults, I have a great passion for the sport.

He didnt claim you didnt have passion. He claimed you didnt have knowledge. I dont claim you dont have knowledge. I claim you have no taste. But I reckon you are excused by the national bias which can indeed cloud one's perception

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
cauberg1999 said:
i find it a problem for alberto that looks like that froome is again mad like hell. he feels he must prove brailsford he deserves to have his hand in making the final squad and directrors willnt have to sorry about not including bradley in the team. froome looks utterly determined. i didnt wait this from him after successful season. usually athletes relax a bit after this but it doesnt work for cf

i expect ac to lose at least 1 min a long tt. still lots of opportunies to get back that even in 1 stage

If he loses only in the ballpark of 1 min that will be an truly epic performance.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
He didnt claim you didnt have passion. He claimed you didnt have knowledge. I dont claim you dont have knowledge. I claim you have no taste. But I reckon you are excused by the national bias which can indeed cloud one's perception

Have you had a post recently that wasn't filled with misdirected xenophobic bullsh**?

Cimber said:

How would I have national bias when I'm American and he is British?

roundabout said:
Ok, so there was an attack on that stage in 2004, then Tourmalet in 2003, maybe something up Ax the same year?

But apart from that?

Edit: and that would be really scraping it unless we go into 5 second attacks territory which nobody gives a **** about except you

But apart from that?!

How many attacks 50 + kms out do you expect a guy to go on?

Another was Perysourde I think too. 2001. It was the second or third last climb of the day and he was flying. Then Jan crashed on the descent and Lance supposedly waited.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
How would I have national bias when I'm American and he is British?

Oh my dear, there the only excuse you had for liking his style just went down the toilet. But then again the perception of style by some Americans is quite different from your average condinental Europeaner (-; joking aside, Froomes style is really aesthetically awful, but it is effective of course

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
CycloAndy said:
Have you had a post recently that wasn't filled with misdirected xenophobic bullsh**?

Was just trying to give him an excuse from having awful taste.

But besidde that I dont try to hide that I dislike many of the newer ignorant and history-less fans from the island, who root for Froome and sky as if it was a national soccer team. Is it fair? Probably not.

About tweets who arent talking about those fans? Of course. Just go look up my post history. Easier and faster than using a post to ask really.

Cimber said:
Was just trying to give him an excuse from having awful taste.

But besidde that I dont try to hide that I dislike many of the newer ignorant and history-less fans from the island, who root for Froome and sky as if it was a national soccer team. Is it fair? Probably not.

About tweets who arent talking about those fans? Of course. Just go look up my post history. Easier and faster than using a post to ask really.

I agree with what your saying, but please call the sport how it's supposed to be called. It's a game where you mainly use your FOOT to kick a BALL = football! :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I agree with what your saying, but please call the sport how it's supposed to be called. It's a game where you mainly use your FOOT to kick a BALL = football! :D

Haha indeed. My bad. Am just to used to have to differentiate between football and football (NFL) on american forums, so i have grown to used to their word, but I agree with you on that one (-:

I find the snobbishness expressed by posters like cimber absolutely hilarious, worrying so much about aesthetics and flair. I see grit and willpower as much more attractive in sports in general. **** style, I want to see athletes work their asses off, which is especially satisfying when they beat opponents who supposedly are more skilled than them. :D

Amusing that it seems to be shorting some super-fans' circuits that Froome could have non-British supporters, as if it were against the natural order of things for a non-romance-language rider to win.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
I find the snobbishness expressed by posters like cimber absolutely hilarious, worrying so much about aesthetics and flair. I see grit and willpower as much more attractive in sports in general. **** style, I want to see athletes work their asses off, which is especially satisfying when they beat opponents who supposedly are more skilled than them. :D

Amusing that it seems to be shorting some super-fans' circuits that Froome could have non-British supporters, as if it were against the natural order of things for a non-romance-language rider to win.

This +1. And of course -1 for the proud non-Froome supporting master race, that assumes Froome supporters are not 'real' cycling fans. Not that I am a fan of Froome, but even then Cimber's posts in this thread make me cringe.

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
This +1. And of course -1 for the proud non-Froome supporting master race, that assumes Froome supporters are not 'real' cycling fans. Not that I am a fan of Froome, but even then Cimber's posts in this thread make me cringe.

froome supporters are 'julyfans' there. infortunately the reality doesnot interest many people here. their riders and illusions around them are much important. seems like froome desroys these illusions so many don't like him