• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
DFA123 said:
He just doesn't have the legs. It's been pretty impressive riding to even stay in contention - would probably blow up if he pushed it a watt more.

It was a very Wigginsesque ride. No change of pace just solid, consistent and unrelenting. He clearly isnt in form but should do enough to get onto the podium.

Richeypen said:
It was a very Wigginsesque ride. No change of pace just solid, consistent and unrelenting. He clearly isnt in form but should do enough to get onto the podium.

Yeah, it would be really boring if everyone did the same, but it's quite interesting to see just one rider almost indifferent to all the racing around him.

Rodriguez will have to do something in one of the mountain stages if he wants the podium - will probably need 20-30 seconds before the time trial.

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
DFA123 said:
Yeah, it would be really boring if everyone did the same, but it's quite interesting to see just one rider almost indifferent to all the racing around him.

It really is bizarre to watch. One guy in his own world while its completely crazy just a few metres up.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Good pacing back,but i don't think he'll be on the podium in the end,he just doesn't have it.Spanish Armada is stronger,Vuelta 2012 deja vu but it remains to be seen who will win it,cause Contador is not looking so great.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Froome is not in good shape atall which is why im so impressed about yesterday people are right saying he only done it because everyone went into red, but tell me when a rider is dropped like Froome you have seen them comeback and beat the rest?. It never happens not one single time anyone can say that happens. We know he as an ok accelration but not this race, even Dauphinee which Contador stayed in wheel was a great accelration we have not seen that this Vuelta. But what does it say about him that he as been dropped on every climb and the guy is about 30 seconds behind if it was no ITT. Froome in 2013 shape destroys Contador this race.

Pricey_sky said:
Agree with this, It would be nice to have a GT where both are in top form. Hopefully next year's Tour.

As for Froome tomorrow I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, it's a stage which could suit him and Sky does have a decent team to help him.
Normally, tomorrow's stage should suit him and Sky very well, but the succession of climbs could be very tiring in this situation.
The most important stage so far for him.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
snccdcno said:
Contador pre-TDF crash destroys this Contador.

Neither are at their best level.

Well i would understand it but we do not no how that TDF was going to go Froome as always outclimbed Nibali and on the 1 stage that was uphill Contador beat Nibali, would Froome not do the same?. Did you see the Dauphinee before Froome's crash? Froome did not distance Contador but he did all the driving and won the stage and he beat Contador on stage 1. Before his crash Froome won both the stages. I think it is alot easier to say their is more chance Froome would have came on top he would have had to just match Contador in the mountains.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Froome still remains enigma. But I don't know what to expect tomorrow. Is he spending too much energy in the past two days to get back to the GC. But as long as the 3 spaniard keeps racing to be the first one who blows themselves first, it will suit froome just fine. He got a strong team, even though I didn't see anyone when he was dropped today (just briefly someone was pacing him).

Alberto is rightfully correct that he is afraid of Froome. He got so much respect for Froome to underestimate him even if Froome looked struggling today. Unfortunately, the other 2 aren't really. So tomorrow will be an interesting tactic for contador and interesting to see if Froome's riding at his own pace will pay off for him.

Jelantik said:
Froome still remains enigma. But I don't know what to expect tomorrow. Is he spending too much energy in the past two days to get back to the GC. But as long as the 3 spaniard keeps racing to be the first one who blows themselves first, it will suit froome just fine. He got a strong team, even though I didn't see anyone when he was dropped today (just briefly someone was pacing him).

Alberto is rightfully correct that he is afraid of Froome. He got so much respect for Froome to underestimate him even if Froome looked struggling today. Unfortunately, the other 2 aren't really. So tomorrow will be an interesting tactic for contador and interesting to see if Froome's riding at his own pace will pay off for him.

There is nothing enigmatic about being dropped by every attack by the GC candidates. He is struggling and will be lucky to podium. The last TT is short and he would have to do something extraordinary to make up good time. Contador is where he is simply because of his TT, he is not climbing any better than Rodriguez or Valverde. It seems Contador has come out of the Tour better than Froome but most people seemed to think he was also much better going in to the Tour and it's only Contador's talent and determination that is keeping him ahead of Valverde and Rodriguez. Valverde surprises me after fading in the Tour but it also indicates that Contador like Froome is not at the top of his game and this is like the 2012 Vuelta all over again.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
There is nothing enigmatic about being dropped by every attack by the GC candidates. He is struggling and will be lucky to podium. The last TT is short and he would have to do something extraordinary to make up good time. Contador is where he is simply because of his TT, he is not climbing any better than Rodriguez or Valverde. It seems Contador has come out of the Tour better than Froome but most people seemed to think he was also much better going in to the Tour and it's only Contador's talent and determination that is keeping him ahead of Valverde and Rodriguez. Valverde surprises me after fading in the Tour but it also indicates that Contador like Froome is not at the top of his game and this is like the 2012 Vuelta all over again.

I think week 3 will emphasize Contador and Rodriguez depth more than Valverde. Froome is showing the lack of depth I mentioned early on in the thread.

Oldman said:
I think week 3 will emphasize Contador and Rodriguez depth more than Valverde. Froome is showing the lack of depth I mentioned early on in the thread.

If by lack of depth you mean lack of form then I agree with you, as that is the only thing stopping him from winning this race. After some of his efforts this last week it cannot be lack of heart or willpower.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
If by lack of depth you mean lack of form then I agree with you, as that is the only thing stopping him from winning this race. After some of his efforts this last week it cannot be lack of heart or willpower.

We agree on the lack of form. But that isn't the only thing stopping him from winning this race. There are some seriously strong guys and the tactics would also have been a problem. Contador is trying to call out his fellow Spaniards in the hope they'll see pressure to assist and also be vulnerable. Racing politics in Spain....fun!

Oldman said:
We agree on the lack of form. But that isn't the only thing stopping him from winning this race. There are some seriously strong guys and the tactics would also have been a problem. Contador is trying to call out his fellow Spaniards in the hope they'll see pressure to assist and also be vulnerable. Racing politics in Spain....fun!

Yes I can see your point about the Spanish alliance, however with it being so close between Contador and Valverde I think it will be each to their own there. Let's not forget an in form Froome would then be able to properly utilise a strong Sky team here, although then perhaps we would have seen a few alliances from the Spanish.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Matt Keenan‏@mwkeenan·1 min
"I like Froome as a person but I don’t like the way he rides, always watching his SRM", Warren Barguil before Stage 16. #LaVuelta

Cimber said:
Matt Keenan‏@mwkeenan·1 min
"I like Froome as a person but I don’t like the way he rides, always watching his SRM", Warren Barguil before Stage 16. #LaVuelta

It did not seem to matter when he won the Tour. I laughed when he accidentally shouldered Moreno as he was going past him. Head down of course. He apologised and Moreno realised it was an accident. Froome is just riding on guts, he simply has not got the legs.

TRENDING THREADS