• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 260 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
We'll never know how he'd have done without the crash which is a big shame considering how strong he looked on stage 9. Such a silly crash too. A bit like the one that took him out of the 2014 Tour. Having said his luck was due to run out soon, considering I think the last time he touched the ground was back at Fleche Wallonne.

TdF win >>>>>>> Giro win
TdF competition >>>>>>> Giro competition.

Come on guys, there is really no comparison and especially considering how this stage was played out with serious crash at the very beginning. It was clear Sky knew it was serious, otherwise they would get teammates to help.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Would have liked to see how Froome did without crashing but that's sport. Spotted limping back to the bus, and as we know he doesn't handle crashes too well.

Looking at how the other main tour guys went I doubt he would have done much better. He looked quite far back when he Crashed. He obviously must have felt not to bad at that point [maybe adrenalin] because he put the hammer down and went past loads and got back in touch until the hammer went down on that climb.
I thought when Sky went to the front of the race that he was in trouble " bluff tactic" It was to early on a stage like this.
They tried to put the other teams off from attacking. IMO he just looked knackered like most of the tour riders did today,
I hope he carry's on. It would be good to see him going for stage wins and if he recovers could get some serious time in the TT.
When you look at Berties attempt at the double and how well he did in the 3rd week you can see why in the Giro he only did what he needed to for victory. Astana really took the legs away from the tour riders today and
I doubt any tour rider will make top 5. Giro- Vuelta is the only double possible at this point.
To be honest I found the stage a bit of a bore. To tough,to many tired riders and Aru looks head and shoulders above anyone at this point. How's this race going to get lit up and by who?

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Pricey_sky said:
Would have liked to see how Froome did without crashing but that's sport. Spotted limping back to the bus, and as we know he doesn't handle crashes too well.

Looking at how the other main tour guys went I doubt he would have done much better. He looked quite far back when he Crashed. He obviously must have felt not to bad at that point [maybe adrenalin] because he put the hammer down and went past loads and got back in touch until the hammer went down on that climb.
I thought when Sky went to the front of the race that he was in trouble " bluff tactic" It was to early on a stage like this.
They tried to put the other teams off from attacking. IMO he just looked knackered like most of the tour riders did today,
I hope he carry's on. It would be good to see him going for stage wins and if he recovers could get some serious time in the TT.
When you look at Berties attempt at the double and how well he did in the 3rd week you can see why in the Giro he only did what he needed to for victory. Astana really took the legs away from the tour riders today and
I doubt any tour rider will make top 5. Giro- Vuelta is the only double possible at this point.
To be honest I found the stage a bit of a bore. To tough,to many tired riders and Aru looks head and shoulders above anyone at this point. How's this race going to get lit up and by who?

Rodriguez, Majka, Valverde, all are very likely to make top 5. Thats 3 top riders, and only Rodriguez didn't do much in the Tour

I agree with you Ray it was a bluff from Sky when he was obviously hurt. G said he was told Froome had hurt his foot when he crashed, I don't think he'd have been a match for the Astana pair who look strong but he probably would have finished around the time of Valverde/Quintana. I hope he's well enough to carry on and he could still get a top 10 with a stage win.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
I agree with you Ray it was a bluff from Sky when he was obviously hurt. G said he was told Froome had hurt his foot when he crashed, I don't think he'd have been a match for the Astana pair who look strong but he probably would have finished around the time of Valverde/Quintana. I hope he's well enough to carry on and he could still get a top 10 with a stage win.

Remember Valverde and Quintana had their own problems so without the crash Froome probably would have performed much better than them. Still, this is cycling and like I said before, Froome hadn't touched the ground since Fleche Wallonne, 45 race days ago for Froome. That's a pretty good streak without hitting the ground, very good even, but unfortunately his body does not handle big impacts well.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:

If he can recover and get some TT time who knows. Maybe higher. That was a very tough stage and nearly everyone who rode the tour looked like they were suffering and even those that didn't. The sheer physical effort of riding that stage at that speed is really something, never mind just coming off a Tour d France.
I thought Astana did a lot of damage when the took to the front for that spell they did.
Maybe if you are going to have a crazy stage like this ,it should be in the race a bit earlier before the rest day.
It didn't really live up to expectations for excitement. I was hoping for a Froome TT and the others all attacking and counter attacking on the last climb or maybe a crazy early attack from one of the main contenders. It was just to tough a stage. It would have been interesting to see how Landa would have done if he rode with Aru instead of getting in the break.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

JRanton said:
Pricey_sky said:

Remember Valverde and Quintana had their own problems so without the crash Froome probably would have performed much better than them. Still, this is cycling and like I said before, Froome hadn't touched the ground since Fleche Wallonne, 45 race days ago for Froome. That's a pretty good streak without hitting the ground, very good even, but unfortunately his body does not handle big impacts well.

"Froome probably would have performed much better than them"

I really don't see how. Its just pure assumption. It was a really tough stage and I think a statement like that ,which is based on no reality. Look at the tour and how Froome hung on in the 3rd week.
Do you really think he could have got the better of Quintana etc.
You have to be realistic and you are not. At best he would have finished on par with them. To say he would have finished much better is fantasy.

ray j willings said:
JRanton said:
Pricey_sky said:

"Froome probably would have performed much better than them"

I really don't see how. Its just pure assumption. It was a really tough stage and I think a statement like that ,which is based on no reality. Look at the tour and how Froome hung on in the 3rd week.
Do you really think he could have got the better of Quintana etc.
You have to be realistic and you are not. At best he would have finished on par with them. To say he would have finished much better is fantasy.

Well Valverde suffered a hard crash a few days ago and Quintana has had fever so that would explain their underperformance, hence why I referred to them having ''their own problems''. I appreciate you're trying to make Contador's Tour performance look as good as possible but you're the one dealing in fantasy.

It was only a few days ago that Froome came 2nd on a summit finish so my claim that he could have done significantly better than Valverde and Quintana today without the crash isn't exactly a huge stretch.

It's all just guesswork, and with Froome it's even more puzzling that normal. One day he can drop all but Dumoulin and just 2 days before he was out the back.

I hope he recovers and can carry on as he can still pick up a stage win as consolation here. He wasn't that muh slower than Dumoulin/Valverde ect on the final climb.

I follow all the moment his times and I still think he is the stronger of the race and he can win this race.

Today he has a bad moment in la Gallina, as I aid, he is not a climber and today is a day for climbers, and he is not so supertrong as now is Domoulin and he was in le Tour: Not good stage for him, too short and hard, rain, and the crash.. all together was bad, but he recovered well and didnt lose too much.

Whay I cant undertand is why his team didnt help him too much, just Thomas at the begining.

He showed all his determination today.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
I follow all the moment his times and I still think he is the stronger of the race and he can win this race.

Today he has a bad moment in la Gallina, as I aid, he is not a climber and today is a day for climbers, and he is not so supertrong as now is Domoulin and he was in le Tour: Not good stage for him, too short and hard, rain, and the crash.. all together was bad, but he recovered well and didnt lose too much.

Whay I cant undertand is why his team didnt help him too much, just Thomas at the begining.

How do you reckon he will take back 8 minutes from Aru?

And his team didn't help him because they all blew up once Astana put the hammer down. They were bluffing at the front, setting pace, however mild. That way they wouldn't be dropped while at the same time not making it obvious to other teams that they were suffering. It was smart, but Astana are cunning.

BigMac said:
Taxus4a said:

And his team didn't help him because they all blew up once Astana put the hammer down. They were bluffing at the front, setting pace, however mild. That way they wouldn't be dropped while at the same time not making it obvious to other teams that they were suffering. It was smart, but Astana are cunning.

Look man, he's going to win that ITT by 9 minutes. Got it?

BigMac said:
Taxus4a said:

If I am not wrong, there was Sky riders in front of him in la Gallina, I can understand Nieve was in the front, becouse Nieve is a rider for a top ten and good for stage like today and specially longer ones like Alba, although he will lost 5 minutes in Burgos with Froome, , 8 minute is the wind is like this eveningh here in Burgos, I even could understand Boswell, becoue he was triong and in the front, but I think there was more riders, maybe some of them help Froome after la Gallina, but not from the begining.

The team dontnt like Froome too much, they just want him for le Tour, Sky showed that from the begining.
any way alto Campoo is perfect for Froome, not like today, he can recover 3 minute that day, and another 2 in Alba.
Purito and Aru will lose too much in the ITT, Valverde didnt take today too much time, and he will loe a little every day with Froome, but he is the reference for me, Domoulin could pay the lat week.. and one importante thing, in the last 3 stages after the ITT , minutes can go as today...

If Sky use his riders Ok in Riaza stage and if Aru has a bad day, he can lose 10 minutes with Froome, that is a really though stage at the end of La Vuelta.

This is still very long, but I dont rely too much in SKY, Froome is ambitipous, but not his team, they maybe just want team clasification, one stage, a top ten...

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:

I have no words .

Ok Did you see Froome being brought back to the peloton by at least 2 team mates? I did

So Froome can't climb? Its to short ? It's to hard? It's raining?
So for Froome to win a GT he needs a long flat dry race that's not to hard?

Taxus you blow my mind with your Froome man crush.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I read now he is quite afected by the crash, of course he need to recover to have options... Tomorrow maybe windy and rainy day, but not bad for that

Taxus
" Not good stage for him, too short and hard, rain "

:D what else can you do

Maybe string theory is true

ray j willings said:
Taxus4a said:

I have no words .

Ok Did you see Froome being brought back to the peloton by at least 2 team mates? I did

So Froome can't climb? Its to short ? It's to hard? It's raining?
So for Froome to win a GT he needs a long flat dry race that's not to hard?

Taxus you blow my mind with your Froome man crush.

it is not a question of what he need. People get surprised that in la Pierre he copuld frop and put lot of time to lot os riders, even top quintana, the best climber of the world. But he is not a climber, he did that becoue he was the stronger of the race and that stage was just one climb, and was after a long and hard week in the flat.

Today wanst the best stage for him, but he should have been similar to Domoulin. he was afected by the crash.

And yes, he has an strong team, and he was alone with Thomas for lot of Km, and alone at the end, that is a fact. If he dont feel very good for a crash, why to waste Knees so much on the front? it is ok tu put the pace, but keep riders to help Froome if necesary.

The fact is that he was sometimes keeping with the group of Domoulin, Valverde, Chaves... the difference for lot of Km...Froome was one of the faster climbing the 2nd categy climb.

TRENDING THREADS