• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 315 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
He lost 6 seconds to Quintana, who had similar conditions, on the uphill part which hints at a lack of form. Although admittedly the longer ITT and coming mountains stages are much better for evaluating these things.

I am more and more starting to think he is very serious at going for Tour-Rio-Vuelta triple, as his spring schedule has been as light as it can be. And there have been no reports of injuries or illness, so the very light schedule must be a planned thing, not forced upon him by outside factors.

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
He lost 6 seconds to Quintana, who had similar conditions, on the uphill part which hints at a lack of form. Although admittedly the longer ITT and coming mountains stages are much better for evaluating these things.

I am more and more starting to think he is very serious at going for Tour-Rio-Vuelta triple, as his spring schedule has been as light as it can be. And there have been no reports of injuries or illness, so the very light schedule must be a planned thing, not forced upon him by outside factors.

What I meant is that those 6 seconds, taking into considderation he is not very good with bad weather, are not enought to say this year Froome is at a lower level.

I think as well he goes seriously to the T-O-V triple, but anyway and despite the bad weather, he must be podium here, other way it could be worriying.

Re:

rick james said:
That triple is just too hard, an amazing effort to attempt it but it's just too tough

It is too hard the first time you try something similar, but I think for him no now. Everything depends hom many people and his level fo to la Vuelta fresher.

Valverde has showed he can be at a very high and similar level in le Tour, San Sebastian and la Vuelta.

Of course is a challenging goal, but he has his best performance with good weather, so he has to give everything in the summer.

By the way, weather conditions for tomorrow and friday in Romandie will be ok, so we will see his true current level this first part of the season.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
rick james said:
That triple is just too hard, an amazing effort to attempt it but it's just too tough

It is too hard the first time you try something similar, but I think for him no now. Everything depends hom many people and his level fo to la Vuelta fresher.

Valverde has showed he can be at a very high and similar level in le Tour, San Sebastian and la Vuelta.

Of course is a challenging goal, but he has his best performance with good weather, so he has to give everything in the summer.

By the way, weather conditions for tomorrow and friday in Romandie will be ok, so we will see his true current level this first part of the season.
It will be sunny but cold, on the 2nd MTF we should once again have bad weather.
I don't believe the whole thing about Froome always fading in a gt, in the 2014 Vuelta he only hit peak shape in the 3rd week, it's more a chase of not being able to hold his peak shape for a longer time in a gt.
He already tried something like that last year, he was good but not great in Romandie.
Of course you can't plan those things exactly, but he should try to peak durning the 2nd week of the Tour (Ventoux and the long ITT are probably his best chances to gain a big amout of time).

Rioroadprofile.jpg

24km of descent/flat after the top of the last climb. The likes of Froome and Quintana, will probably be able to gap the others if it is all together at the bottom of the last climb, but I can't see them staying away on the descent with the likes of Nibali and Valverde behind, and it will probably come down to a sprint.

However, I think it's even more likely that the favourites will just mark each other out and not work together well enough to bring back a break. In fact, I'd say one of the Yates brothers is a better shout for the RR for GB.

But the TT gold is definitely possible

PremierAndrew said:
Rioroadprofile.jpg

24km of descent/flat after the top of the last climb. The likes of Froome and Quintana, will probably be able to gap the others if it is all together at the bottom of the last climb, but I can't see them staying away on the descent with the likes of Nibali and Valverde behind, and it will probably come down to a sprint.

However, I think it's even more likely that the favourites will just mark each other out and not work together well enough to bring back a break. In fact, I'd say one of the Yates brothers is a better shout for the RR for GB.

But the TT gold is definitely possible

I dont think is goint to be an sprint, the same London wanst an sprint.

Mayomaniac said:
Taxus4a said:
rick james said:

It will be sunny but cold, on the 2nd MTF we should once again have bad weather.
I don't believe the whole thing about Froome always fading in a gt, in the 2014 Vuelta he only hit peak shape in the 3rd week, it's more a chase of not being able to hold his peak shape for a longer time in a gt.
He already tried something like that last year, he was good but not great in Romandie.
Of course you can't plan those things exactly, but he should try to peak durning the 2nd week of the Tour (Ventoux and the long ITT are probably his best chances to gain a big amout of time).

You have to look at surrounding circumstances to see why he was just peaking then. He had crashed out of the Tour and was still getting back into top shape. If you want to see how he usually is in a GT (as far as when in the GT he peaks) look at the 2013 and 2015 Tours.

To win the Tour he will have to be in tip top shape. He can't come at 95%. Whenever he is just slightly off form, he performs poorly. When he comes to the Tour in top shape he will NOT be able to hold that form through to the end of the Vuelta. He could hardly hold that form through the whole Tour in 2013 and 2015. Could things be different this year?....perhaps, but historically he isn't super in the 3rd week of the Tour.

Jspear said:
Mayomaniac said:
Taxus4a said:
rick james said:

You have to look at surrounding circumstances to see why he was just peaking then. He had crashed out of the Tour and was still getting back into top shape. If you want to see how he usually is in a GT (as far as when in the GT he peaks) look at the 2013 and 2015 Tours.

To win the Tour he will have to be in tip top shape. He can't come at 95%. Whenever he is just slightly off form, he performs poorly. When he comes to the Tour in top shape he will NOT be able to hold that form through to the end of the Vuelta. He could hardly hold that form through the whole Tour in 2013 and 2015. Could things be different this year?....perhaps, but historically he isn't super in the 3rd week of the Tour.
in the 2013 tour froome looked noticably stronger than in 2015 imo. on alpe d'huez he was literally toying with the field,making little attacks for fun, hugging Porte. losing a minute was all about him forgetting to eat on time. in the penultimate stage dawg didn't seem to care about win too much as well. so if we take the 2013 tour as his absolute best, I don't really think he was at 100% in 2015.

dacooley said:
Jspear said:
Mayomaniac said:
Taxus4a said:
rick james said:

in the 2013 tour froome looked noticably stronger than in 2015 imo. on alpe d'huez he was literally toying with the field,making little attacks for fun, hugging Porte. losing a minute was all about him forgetting to eat on time. in the penultimate stage dawg didn't seem to care about win too much as well. so if we take the 2013 tour as his absolute best, I don't really think he was at 100% in 2015.

and yet relatively weak showings shouldn't completely overshadow brilliant ones. for sure froome is far from being super hot in week 3 of the tour. on the other hand it's pretty difficult to point out a rider who could be close to him in 1 and 2nd weeks at least in the tours froome сould win.

dacooley said:
Jspear said:
Mayomaniac said:
Taxus4a said:
rick james said:

True in 2013 he was better.
Regardless, it'll be near impossible for him to keep that level of form through to the end of the Vuelta.

Re:

TMP402 said:
If Froome is seriously targeting the road race, I think you will see him attack attack attack on the flat section.

Yes, but no way, in Spain we love our colours the most and Contador and Purito of course will control any attack for Valverde. :rolleyes:

By the way, I though it was 3 times the last climb, not 4... with four climbs just the normal is the stronger rider will win.. the last flat can increase his gap.

TRENDING THREADS