• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 359 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Poursuivant said:
Apparently in his press conference Froome said he wants to target Tour for the next 6/7 years, and he won't do the Giro next year, as well as he is less certain now it he will do Vuelta.

He loves the Vuelta, but if I was him I wouldn't bother. Target Rio gold in a few weeks then have a well deserved rest. I wonder if he will ride the world champs in support of Cav?

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Poursuivant said:
Apparently in his press conference Froome said he wants to target Tour for the next 6/7 years, and he won't do the Giro next year, as well as he is less certain now it he will do Vuelta.

He loves the Vuelta, but if I was him I wouldn't bother. Target Rio gold in a few weeks then have a well deserved rest. I wonder if he will ride the world champs in support of Cav?

Good in the heat and strong on the flat. Why not? If he's not doing the Vuelta, though, why not do the Tour of Britain?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Poursuivant said:

Good in the heat and strong on the flat. Why not? If he's not doing the Vuelta, though, why not do the Tour of Britain?

That would be cool to win the home race though I would still love to see him go to the Vuelta. If this wasn't an olympic year I think he'd have had a good a shot as any at taking it.

Re:

yaco said:
Did what was needed but the profile suited him perfectly with 2 TT'S. Unlikely to get such a suitable profile in 2017. Anyway think he will ride the Giro in 2017.

Was built to keep him from winning if anything. no early mono climb MTF a third week loaded with mountains even the TT. short of no TTs and making him ride a Mavik bike for the whole race Theres not much else they could have done to make it hard for him. If anything NQ could not have asked for a better set up.

cantpedal said:
yaco said:
Did what was needed but the profile suited him perfectly with 2 TT'S. Unlikely to get such a suitable profile in 2017. Anyway think he will ride the Giro in 2017.

Was built to keep him from winning if anything. no early mono climb MTF a third week loaded with mountains even the TT. short of no TTs and making him ride a Mavik bike for the whole race Theres not much else they could have done to make it hard for him. If anything NQ could not have asked for a better set up.

I agree, this route was less suited to him than the other 2 Tours he won. maybe forcing him to ride a Mavik bike is the only way of stopping him! :D

cantpedal said:
yaco said:

Surely 2015 was more anti-Froome.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Froome will certainly be heading to Spain after Rio. He's got unfinished business there, didn't ride the Tour too hard and Sky seem to put a lot of value on the stat that the last 5 Tour winners all started the Vuelta the previous year

Source for the last part of the last sentence?
That doesn't sound Skyish to me at all.

TMP402 said:
Pricey_sky said:
Poursuivant said:

Why not target the TT?

Re:

warmfuzzies said:
How many more Tours can Froome win? If he gets 1 more, he's got to be in consideration for greatest stage racer of his generation.

The day he won all three GT , he can consider himself as this. It is not everyone who manage peak in different parts of the season.

Miburo said:
TMP402 said:
How I wish AC and CF hadn't crashed out in 2014.

It's hard to let it go isn't it mate? I feel you :(

Would have been the best tour since 2006, probably even longer. Would have been 3 weeks of great action, unlike all the memorable tours which only had 1 amazing week and 2 weeks of boredom which are forgotten when writing about them in the history books

PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
TMP402 said:

Would have been the best tour since 2006, probably even longer. Would have been 3 weeks of great action, unlike all the memorable tours which only had 1 amazing week and 2 weeks of boredom which are forgotten when writing about them in the history books

I want to know how beatable Nibali was as well. To my mind the only time Froome and Nibali have gone anything like head to head in reasonable form in a GT was 2012, and obviously Froome was domming for Wiggins, but nevertheless finished 3 minutes ahead of Nibali. Supposing Froome had won in 2014, and Wiggins didn't exist, he'd be at Tour win #5 already, which doesn't feel right. 2012 doesn't feel long enough ago.

TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
TMP402 said:

I want to know how beatable Nibali was as well. To my mind the only time Froome and Nibali have gone anything like head to head in reasonable form in a GT was 2012, and obviously Froome was domming for Wiggins, but nevertheless finished 3 minutes ahead of Nibali. Supposing Froome had won in 2014, and Wiggins didn't exist, he'd be at Tour win #5 already, which doesn't feel right. 2012 doesn't feel long enough ago.

If only. I had been very rich. :D

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations Chris Froome. A thoroughly deserved 3rd tour win. Not only the strongest rider in the race, but the most attacking GC rider and (seemingly) the only one who wanted to win the race. Chapeau and hopefully next year he will have a serious contender to battle with.

TMP402 said:
cantpedal said:
yaco said:

Surely 2015 was more anti-Froome.

Maybe they are close. my response was more toward the statement that "the profile suited him perfectly"

TRENDING THREADS